• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WindowsXP + WC3 = Harsh Ram Requirements!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AtomicGuY

Well, it looks like 1GB of ram will be used after all. While playing a solid multiplayer game of War Craft III, my system consumed nearly 600MB of ram at one point.

The absolute minimum requirements for War Craft III memory wise are 128MB

Now if you have WindowsXP, minimum requirements are 256MB. Now if you want to play multiplayer, the requirements are 384MB.

By time to set graphics to max and play on the mega maps, your PC is using over 600MB of ram.

Looks like its time to upgrade for people with 256MB LOL

yah i have problems with 512 ram. playing muilt in ghost recon.
every addition player ur recommended to have and extra 20mb of ram so 20 ppl will be really straining ur bandwidth.

AtomicGuY said:
By time to set graphics to max and play on the mega maps, your PC is using over 600MB of ram.

Looks like its time to upgrade for people with 256MB LOL

Does'nt changing the resolution place more demand on your graphic card than physical system memory as as such a higher performing graphics card with more memory such as the current trend towards 128 mb graphic cards would help a lot with this situation

The information provided clearly displays that the problem has more to do with the way that Windows XP handles memory rather than a specific requirement of the game and as such the memory requirements for Win9x systems are lower. Rather than pay out for expensive memory changing to a stripped out Windows 9x would probably cure the problem and probably leave you with a faster machine

I have played the beta for awhile now.. on my

Celeron 566
256mb PC100

I have had some lag.. but none to make it unplayedable.. I am saving up for my system right now.

What do you think I should buy to make this game run like a charm?

UnseenMenace,

You are so right but unfortuneatly, most textures still aren't stored in graphics memory and therefore still swamps the ram in the PC.

War Craft III can be visually demanding. I have to admit that the game is very very well done consuming only the resources needed to play the game.

I recommend a PC with at least 768MB or memory to be on the safe side and not have to worry about Hard Drive lag which begins to plague the PC when the swap file kicks in :( .

Retail v1.0 runs awesome on my PC, thats all I will say.

BTW, I just finished WC3 tonight, WHAT A GREAT ENDING!!!!

whoa, I never have seen a story line so dramatic in RTS ever!!

its cool how one race leads to the next... untill you have played all four races.

GO Get this game!!!

Youve finished it huh ? :p

Whats the last race you get to play ?
Ive currently reached the Night Elves.

btw. i just wanted to let everybody know that WC III RULES ! ! !

Blizzard have done the best job ever creating this game. The best RTS game ive ever played.

768 or more? that's just not true, i have 512 MB and NEVER have had a performance issue, game runs at a solid 60 FPS most of the time, it used to be on the very first betas that the game swaped a lot directly to the HD, but this was mainly because the game was probably in debug mode wich consumes a lot more memory than it should, i now have the full game and it plays like a dream with 512 MB + geforce 4 (upgraded recently from geforce 3 wich ran the late betas perfectly). i'd go as far as saying this game will run just fine with 256 MB systems, i can tell most people are using a much slower system than me most of the time and the game is still flawless even though they take about 3 or 4 times longer to load a level than me (i'm on an XP 1900+ @ 1.77 ghz). the reason i know that is because war3 has a nice feature that lets you know who has loaded the level and who hasn't right before the game starts, i've seen this game on lesser systems and it runs just fine.

I got War Craft III and this game definately needs 768MB or ram to play flawlessly.

Here is a game of Multiplay with 4 people and 2 computers (6 opponent game). I simply hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and pulled up task manager in WindowsXP.

DS-Master

Game doesn't break 200 megs, just tried the same thing, but instead of showing you the whole system memory like you did, i'm showing exactly how much memory war3 is using, i'm runing a 6 player replay i played yesterday.

Back