• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.26B overclocking failure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vizon

Registered
I just recently put together a nice system:

asus p4t533-c
intel p4 2.26B northwood
2x256mb kingston pc1066 32ns rdram

Today I attempted to overclock this mother. The results? Well, I got the FSB up to 138 with no immediate problems, but then it failed in Prime95 torture test with the cpu running at the stock voltage. Now, normally, at 2.26ghz, this chip runs at about 95F. Not bad. I upped the voltage to 1.525, then 1.550 etc... all the way up to 1.700 (with FSB @ 142)... I got bluescreens at that point still (1.700V @ 142mhz FSB). Anyone have any luck with overclocking on this board? What am I doing wrong? I thought these northwoods were good for overclocking. I wanted to get it up to 2.55 :(

I have pretty good cooling, but even then it shouldnt matter that much. Anyway, will this damage my chip in any way (im running it at stock speeds once again)? ? ?

Anyway, if it damaged my chip at all, would i notice it? Would I notice it with torture tests?

Thanks (newbie overclocker) :)

I think 1.700V for the cpu was the limit that i would take it too, was getting up there.

any ideas or input are greatly appreciated :)

will this hurt my cpu at all? what maximum voltage should i go for?

Stock heatsink I would use 1.75v max and not overclock it too much.
If you have a good aftermarket heatsink 1.85v as long as the temp's are acceptable.

Always use the lowest amount needed thou to run it stable once you figure out what that is.

so would it be overkill to overclock the 2.26 chip to 2.56ghz (hence 150mhz fsb) ? or around there?

another question, there is no way i can get my ram to run at pc1066 with a bios setting of 3x for the rdram, right? if so, is there anyway around this?

sure there is..... but the p4t533's really don't allow for a fsb higher than 150 am i right? on average your cpu can overclock to 3 ghz!!! too bad that 150 fsb is going to hold you back... just think here you'll be one day thinking to yourself hmmm i wonder if my chip can go any further (it's like an addiction trust me ;)) but wait can't because of the damn bios only letting 150 fsb grrrr!!!!!!!

the way around it is to run the fsb at 177 with mem at 3x..... but as you can't no there is no other way!

vizon said:
!#@$^$#@^$#!!!!!
daryl is right, about the 150, but, i think you should be able to run your chip at 140 fsb, with 4x RDRAM, and the mem bandwidth will more than make up for it. if you look in the new si soft, it shows the 2.6 p4 chip scoring 6000 on the dhrystone, and if you look here on the forums, the people with their chips up to 3.0 gig, score like 59xx.:( so, just to say you are at 3.0 gig is cool, your cpu really isnt performing at 3.0 gig, all you are doing is adding extra heat to you chip and shortening the life on the chip.:(

Back