• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accurate CPU temps from the mobo thermistor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spleener

I spent last week with my step dad who has a phd in Heat Transfer. I was asking him about the accuracy of the mobo thermistor. He says there is a very simple way to calculate very accurate CPU temps using the thermistor. You simply need to know the composition of the CPU constructs, find a constant for said contructs then plug that along with the distance the thermistor lies from the bottom of the CPU and you would get very accurate CPU temps..

My thought.. wouldnt it be very cool if this was buillt into the bios? Afterall, the mobo company knows which CPU is going to fit into its board.. From this they can get all the information needed..

Alas, lets not expect too much.. But what about Motherboard monitor? Or other third part programs.> they should easily be able to do this based on the proper equation.. No more worrying how far of your readings are.. the equation would predict CPU VERY accurately. its all been done millions of times in other applications in engineering.. Should be able to be done with Mobo monitoring programs as well.

Back