• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im thinking P4.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaywirE

Disabled
Im a gamer.

Im sick of whirrr, and i dont want to watercool.

Im sick of HOT AMD'S.

Im sick of AMD'S late products.

Any feelings about it?

I personally agree that a lowspeed Northwood overclocked is the way to go right now, but i think by posting that in this forum were gonna get yelled at by some people. My brother in fact just bought an Abit BD7II with 512 megs of ram and a 1.8A. It kicks major ***. But, of course you cant argue with the AROIA and AGOIA XP 1600+, they are a great value as well.

i've got friends who've had a p1.6a(Northwood) to 2.7Ghz!!!:eek:

if you fancy riskin the cash m8e.. then go for it... he had his die afer about 3 months at that oc!!

i'd stick with an AMD compatible board meself, that way, you can guarantee a decent overclock for a long time!!!

Andy.

p.s.. he's since come back to the AMD fold an bought a 2000+.. :) told him so.. :)

Go with what you can afford. If it's for gaming and you can afford to buy a more expensive Pent4 system go for it, more power to you. But if your looking for price to performance it's AMD all the way.

The thing is that i've heard PENTIUM 4 SUCKS by about 1000000 ppl... now that i want to try something different........ bl3h.

HaywirE said:
The thing is that i've heard PENTIUM 4 SUCKS by about 1000000 ppl... now that i want to try something different........ bl3h.

The new Northwood P4s are actually very good, even the low-end models can OC to more than 2.4 GHz (usually more). It doesn't suck, BTW, it's pretty good (from what I heard, cuz as you can see, I don't have one)

A lot of people say P4's suck, because they've seen it posted on so many boards.

P4's are good at what they do. Make Intel lot's of money.......

What you want to look at is the amount of calculations each CPU does per second. AMD CPU's do a lot more work per cycle that even a lot faster P4's (ie a 1.6GHz AMD XP is about the same as a 2GHz P4. Roughly.)

Plus AMD lets you mess about with the multiplier, and is a whole lot cheaper to buy:)

minoukat said:

The new Northwood P4s are actually very good, even the low-end models can OC to more than 2.4 GHz (usually more). It doesn't suck, BTW, it's pretty good (from what I heard, cuz as you can see, I don't have one)

well m8e, I dont have one either, all I know is that a friends clocked a p4 1.6a *(Northwood) to over 2.7!!!! an it was stable at that for a while, until the 0.13 core let him down!!!!!

P4's dont suck in any way... but he's come back to AMD, an thats all I'll say on the matter... :)

Right now Intel is kicking some ***. The P4 Northwood are actually hotter than the Athlon XP, but there are many heatsinks better made for Intel than AMD which keeps your temperatures at an acceptable temperature to actually look at.

The Pentium 4 overclocks very well. The reason you may have heard the Pentium 4 sucks is because they may have been so attached saying that from the Williamettes (First generation Pentium 4's).

Alot have changed from then.

HaywirE said:
Do you recommend them over AMD?

They will be top dog for sometime now bro, highly recommended you get either a RD P4 together w/ a 1.6a if you can't afford the 2.26B computer.

Well..... i really havent put together a P4.

I've heard it's either to put together from AMD Because you cant really chip the core.. unless your a moron

=D

Not sure about mobo, there are just way too many to pick from. It's best to see in the Intel motherboards.

The P4 have an IHS (Integerated Heat Spreader) which is meant to prevent core crushing, and their cores are much harder...

okay okay... this is the AMD section and your all talking about P4 "stuff" don't we have sections for a reason? just a simple quesiton

Im sick of HOT AMD'S.

I think this sound like a MOAN to me, and should of been put in the gripes and moan section or the Intel where they would of agreed with you and stuff. On the other hand i could be out of line, I don't mean to flame you or anything at all like that.

well i hope i didn't hi-jack another thread by saying that

Well yes, Then i suppose that people that say

Volcano 7+'s Dont mount correctly on my P4 is a gripe.

Or my case runs to hot is a moan.

There's many degree's of them, but i want to get people in the AMD CPU Forum to reply and there feelings about my TOPIC.

P4's are nice. My 1.6A was kickin' until the board died the next day. (I'm RMAing it.) Here's some warnings about P4's though, from someone who's currently working on one.

1. You need better RAM. My old micron PC2100 won't cut it, because intel chipsets extract a lot more work out of your memory at lower FSB. You'll need to upgrade to at least pc2700 for a good overclock.

2. Northwoods at default are cool, but overclocked and under load, they'll get hotter than your palomino did. (Though they'll keep running, albeit slowly.)

3. NO UNLOCKING! This makes #1 more significant, and it eliminates a lot of options that you had with AMD.

4. P4 heatsinks are not very diverse, and getting waterblocks for them isn't the easiest thing in the world. Additionally, their retention mechanism is a pain in the a$$.

demon-eater said:
okay okay... this is the AMD section and your all talking about P4 "stuff" don't we have sections for a reason? just a simple quesiton

It's here because someone wants to know if there is good reason to switch from AMD to intel, and he's looking for advice from AMD people about this decision. Yes, some of the questions could probably be answered better in the Intel section, but I think the placement of the thread itself is not inappropriate.

Back