• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 8KHA+ dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HammerDpedals

Registered
I am putting together a new system with almost all new parts. I put my EPOX 8KHA+ in the case, installed a duron 1.2 morgan, a thermalright AX-7 heatsink, and sanyo denki fan, as well as 256 mb of samsung pc2700, and an ATI rage fury vid card (im saving money to get a better one). I have also the psu in the box, as well as disk drive and cdrom drive. As far as i know, everything is connected correctly and jumpers are all set.

Heres the problem:

when i try to boot, the fans spin up, the power supply is working, etc, but no beep from the bios and no display output to my monitor. The post code on the mobo LED says "FF". what does this mean? what is wrong? do I have a dead board?

Also, the LED lights on the front of my case dont light up, the accessing HD light nor the power light.

Here is what I have tried already:

-took out ram
-cleared CMOS
-changed the jumper to 133 mhz rather than 100
-took out vid card to see if i could get bios to beep
-checked all cables

I have figured out:

-Its not the PSU
-dont think its the vid card, I have used it a lot before and it works just fine.
-dont think CPU is fried, no smell and no reason to be.

Can anybody help? hopefully I provided enough info to get a good diagnosis.

Experienced 8KHA+ users dont be afraid to voice an idea!

thanks a lot

8KHA+s are one of the few boards I have had next to zero problems with.
Only troubles: lockup after accessing bios when I first bought them- bios flash fixed it. I broke one- heard something crack putting my waterblock on! DOH!

Only suggestions I have are the standard ones: try with just cpu(and hsf), ram and video; swap out known good components, up to and including motherboard- if you have another system you can borrow from.

Last resort: try flashing the bios.

I'm afraid those are my only suggestions:(
Good luck, man.

OH: Welcome to the Forums!!!

Simple: I didn't think that one through!
My bad. Strike that off the list!

Sorry I don't have any more suggestions, man; the only other thing I have ever done that worked was to wait a few days with the cmos battery out and no power to the rig...but that only worked when the system had been running.

New board? It might just be bad and time for an rma.

I too thought it would be time for an RMA, until i read a thread in another forum. A guy with the same problem, RMA'd the board, got a new one, and the same thing happened! turns out it was the power supply, and going froma 400w to a 300w made it work!

weird.

anyway, i might try that, but i will also leave the CMOS battery out and clear CMOS overnight

I have no components to swap to isolate the problem though, I am going to get a friend's help this weekend.

dang this is frustrating

One of the things I like about having a Seti Farm: plenty of spare components to test with!

I have heard of flaky psus before, and its one of the things I swap out when I'm troubleshooting....
but I haven't seen that problem. Usually I swap a psu if voltages start varying a lot.

Good luck: consider my fingers crossed!

new development:

I noticed that the lights on the front of my case wont turn on, no matter what orientation. Does this mean my mobo is dead? But I dunno, cause the switch works. But maybe thats independent of the lights. Help me out here

second, does anyone know if the 8kha+ beeps when it starts correctly? I have been going on the fact that it should, so i havent had a monitor hooked up to it.

more help!!!

thanks

if the FF light come one it usually means the board is working fine. On event of a dead cpu it will post FF. unable to boot Due to wrong bad overclock also post FF sometimes if u got a spare cpu i sugesst u do that b4 rmaing i know how much of a pain those are since u dont get ur board back for a couple weeks.

another issue could be cos of ur vid card. i have fried 2 tnt2 in my 8k7a b4 but not the 8kha+ if u got another comp to test if it is working that would help.

harddisk and cd ron doesnt matter much cos at the moment its not even posting right??

i reckon its the cpu i just have a feeling well if any new info pls post ok

RAM and cpu are both required for posting, and I don't know about speakers because most of mine don't use them.

Without memory and cpu though, the board will do nothing.

The 8KHA+ beeps at boot only on the earlier bios versions, on a recent bios update the beep disappeared.
A trick to make it boot is to press and hold INSERT when powering on.
And about your HDD and PWR leds, well... I think you twisted the cables on the mobo wrong when you connected them.

I hope it helps.

/Mats Lundqvist

Another new development--

I noticed that the keyboard lights do not even light up, therefore pressing the insert key is useless. This may also have something to do with why the lights on the front of the case do not light up.

when i press the caps, num lock keys the lights dont light up. But yet my switch works. I am thinking this could not be the CPU,

but yet i dont know

help?????

Send the mobo back to the store that you bought it from and say it didn't work when you tried to power on the computer. I believe it's free of charge because it's covered by the warranty.
But be sure to cover any traces of mis-use on the mobo. ;)

/Mats Lundqvist

HammerDpedals said:
I am putting together a new system with almost all new parts. I put my EPOX 8KHA+ in the case, installed a duron 1.2 morgan, a thermalright AX-7 heatsink, and sanyo denki fan, as well as 256 mb of samsung pc2700, and an ATI rage fury vid card (im saving money to get a better one). I have also the psu in the box, as well as disk drive and cdrom drive. As far as i know, everything is connected correctly and jumpers are all set.

Heres the problem:

when i try to boot, the fans spin up, the power supply is working, etc, but no beep from the bios and no display output to my monitor. The post code on the mobo LED says "FF". what does this mean? what is wrong? do I have a dead board?

Also, the LED lights on the front of my case dont light up, the accessing HD light nor the power light.

Here is what I have tried already:

-took out ram
-cleared CMOS
-changed the jumper to 133 mhz rather than 100
-took out vid card to see if i could get bios to beep
-checked all cables

I have figured out:

-Its not the PSU
-dont think its the vid card, I have used it a lot before and it works just fine.
-dont think CPU is fried, no smell and no reason to be.

Can anybody help? hopefully I provided enough info to get a good diagnosis.

Experienced 8KHA+ users dont be afraid to voice an idea!

thanks a lot

Ur clock jumper is set to 133???? when i did this to my duron 900 on the same board it will not post its a bad overclock. and will post the ff. return the jumper to 100mhz and see if that help. My duron will not post with the 133 only will with the 100mhz setting
i get the same thing with the 133 jumper with durons i dont know abt the morgans though they r still 100mz core right not 133??

Back