• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink Recommendations on p4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaywirE

Disabled
Well, im about to build a P4 System, i've decided that im sick of AMD and i'd like to try differently.

Asus P4B533-VM w/ P4 2.2GHZ

Is it worth it to upgrade from 256k to 512k for 23 Dollars?

That Asus board you bought is made for the new chips with the 133 mghz FSB. Namely, the 2.2B. If you didn't buy the 2.2B, see if you can exchange it.

Your subject on this thread has nothing to do with your questions you asked. If you are interested in heatsink recommendations, go ahead and hit the search button and type in, "478 heatsink." You will find lots of recommendations. The highest rated heatsink that would work on your board at this point is the Thermalright AX-478. Good luck with your new system.

Welcome to the Intel side.

Well, Thanks alot for the warm welcome.

I already have a 1700+Xp Box, and there's no going wrong getting a Pentium.

Oh well, im glad.

HaywirE said:
Well, im about to build a P4 System, i've decided that im sick of AMD and i'd like to try differently.

Asus P4B533-VM w/ P4 2.2GHZ

Is it worth it to upgrade from 256k to 512k for 23 Dollars?

Yes!

YOUR_SUPERIOR said:
lol obviously...thats a no-brainer

for 23 bucks ur getting double the ram and a noticable difference in speed

He's talking about L2 Cache on the chip, not that actual ram. Jee 23 bucks for 256kb Ram ;)

Well, I would go with a 2.26B chip as well, I highly recommend that chip if you want to enter the 2gig stock zone. As for heatsink, the CoolerMaster Heatpipe or the AX478 are my picks. The CoolerMaster seems to be the top dog though (OC Heatsink Ratings)

Needitcooler said:
That Asus board you bought is made for the new chips with the 133 mghz FSB. Namely, the 2.2B. If you didn't buy the 2.2B, see if you can exchange it.

Your subject on this thread has nothing to do with your questions you asked. If you are interested in heatsink recommendations, go ahead and hit the search button and type in, "478 heatsink." You will find lots of recommendations. The highest rated heatsink that would work on your board at this point is the Thermalright AX-478. Good luck with your new system.

Welcome to the Intel side.

Not to try to correct but its the 2.26B and I would definitly get it. But your mobo will work with the 2.2A chip. Just will get more out of the 533 instead of the 400.

Only problem with the coolmaster is you cannot upgrade the fan. The way it mounts it blocks any bigger fan from going in. I have the AX478 and I love it. Just ordered my a 120CFM 92mm Torando and a adapter plate for it.

My temps with the AX478 are 35C load. Thats at 2.4 with my vcore at 1.75. It dropped my temps almost 5 C over my Swiftech MCX478. And its only 26 bucks at KD computers online. You cant beat the performace/price ratio on it.

I still think the CoolerMaster does a great job how it is. Adding a fan would only help 1-2 degrees at the most. People could have shaved off a few degrees by lapping it. CoolerMaster has a real bad finish on their heatsinks.

But again, it limits your options. Why buy something you cannot tweek a little.

Also that is on board tests you are looking at. Alot of varition can come in to play with that. If you look at the die sim test the AX478 is ahead of everything, including the Coolmaster. I admit it is a good heatsink, but I would still go with the AX478.

I second the AX 478, so another vote to boost your confidence by .01% ;-)

As for the Coolermaster, why not get a 80-92 mm adapter, and like epoxy it to the top edges of the HS, that way you get higher CFM and can change out the fan any way you want, only 'prob' is that its sorta permanent, or close to it, and not many people have spare 92 mm fans, whereas others have a lot of 80 mm fans, so it might necessitate the purchase of another fan...just my 1/50 of un dolar

Because the fan on the Coolmaster goes between the two clips so putting a bigger fan is almost impossible with out something hitting the mounting clips Here is the heatsink.

Oh yeah, stupid me forgot to look at a pic, and stupid me forgot about the stupid Intel mounting system :D

But its something to think about if you already have it, maybe make a homemade duct that would go straight up to clear it...its not worth the effort vs the AX 478 or even the Alpha PAL 8942 or Swiftech MCX462-U, but hey, mod for the sake of modding, thats why we're here, after all

No prob thats why I posted the pic to show you why it wouldnt work. Thats just the main reason Id get the AX478 over the Coolmaster, flexability. I thought about getting one, but I dont see any point in putting a 70mm fan on a heatsink.

For one its alot louder to produce the same CFM. Two, you can get more CFM's out of a 80mm. Lastly what happens if your fan dies? How many people have extra 70mm fans around thier house? How many people sale 70mm fans? My fan ever goes and all I have to do is grab an extra 80mm fan and slap it on for the mean time. Or go to Comp USA and buy one. Flexablity.

Back