• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal pad on intel retail heatsinks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jd300

Registered
just got my retail celeron 1.8 the heatsink that came with it looks to have large black thermal pad , are these any good , i may o/c but ireally doubt i will

I dont know if they're any good, I didn't bother finding out.

My 1.8a Northy came with the same thing. I took it off as soon as I got it and slapped some AS3 on it. It's messy taking it off, don't do like I did and just decide to peal it off. It has that black thermal grease on top and under that silverish pad. My fingers were black :p

I don't know if it's worth taking it off or if it dampers cooling performance. I just dont like pre-installed thermal pads, so I take any of them off as soon as spotted. I'll be getting an Alpha PAL-8942 or something along the same lines, so I don't really care about the stock HSF :p

I remember rippin that thing right off the HSF right when I got it, I than lapped it and applied AS3, which worked quite well.. :)

jd300 said:
just got my retail celeron 1.8 the heatsink that came with it looks to have large black thermal pad , are these any good , i may o/c but ireally doubt i will

Remove the pad and slap on the as3.:burn:

Get rid of it if you intend to do any overclocking of that rig . According to Arctic Silver's web page it will give inferior cooling to AS 1 or 2 or 3 . Secondly the pad partially melts esp the black ones and some of it soaks into the heatsink itself . This decreases the heat transfer ability of the heatsink . What's worse is that when u decide to change it to AS2 or 3 the ingrained thermal pad gets between the heatsink and the new better thermal paste and prevents optimal transfer . I've seen some recommend a thorough cleaning off and even lapping after having one of those pads .

In short ................ take it off and use AS3 .

I would do a very slight lap job, just to get that crud out of the marks in the base of the heatsink. You could probably pick up 600 grit and do it.

Back