Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

smart fans

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-22-02, 09:22 AM Thread Starter   #1
deeppow

10 Year Badge

smart fans

I've got 4 smart fans, thermaltake 80mm. Good fans in terms of performance. But I've decided I can do without the smart part of them. As far as I'm concerned the problem is that smart fans aren't that smart and don't know what my case needs, they only sense temps where they are located. I've disabled the smart part of the fans and use them to provide air flow as I want it.

Am I missing something here? Or is this just another gemic to sell hardware. Guess I was dumb enough to fall for it.

Iwaki MD-20RLZT -> EK Sup. Univ. -> Chiller -> Resev
--
EVGA GTX680,Klipsch Promedia 4.1
--
Intel 510 120G, Crucial M4 120G, Sumsung 840Pro 512G
--
Corsair 1050 in Lian-Li PC-V1200
--
Win7 64-bit, Ubuntu 64-bit
deeppow is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-22-02, 09:47 AM   #2
rlemieux
Cyber Deal King

10 Year Badge

Re: smart fans

Quote:
Originally posted by deeppow
I've got 4 smart fans, thermaltake 80mm. Good fans in terms of performance. But I've decided I can do without the smart part of them. As far as I'm concerned the problem is that smart fans aren't that smart and don't know what my case needs, they only sense temps where they are located. I've disabled the smart part of the fans and use them to provide air flow as I want it.

Am I missing something here? Or is this just another gemic to sell hardware. Guess I was dumb enough to fall for it.
I bought one just to try it, but I see no point in spending that much money on case fans. If you can just find some good 30-40CFM fans for cheap they will do just fine. I got all of my case fans for 20bucks total including shipping(4 enermax adjustable modded to full speed, 92x92x25 56CFM Delta, 120x120x38 130CFM Delta) So thats 6 fans a total of 350CFM's for 20bucks. I cant see spending 10 bucks a fan for something that is going to do the same job.

Asus Sabertooth x58, Intel Core i7-950, Thermalright IFX-14, Ultra X3 1000watt PSU, 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, 2 x Zotac GTX 465's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB HD's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 1.5TB HD's, 2 Samsung SH-S203B's, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Lian Li PC-75-USB Aluminum Case, Viewsonic 27-inch N2750W LCD TV

Heatware
rlemieux is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-22-02, 12:28 PM   #3
DaddyD302
Registered

Those smart fans are a waste of time and money.
DaddyD302 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool