• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arctic silver 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edien

anyone have any tips on applying this stuff, i read the guide at arctic silver and im not in the mood to get it everywhere..again. That stuff is evil to get out! I wanted to know if there is any trick to applying this stuff correctly. Also, once u apply it and let your hsf run with it awhile, even tho its dry can u remove the HSF and put it back on your die even if its hardend? I need to fix my thermal diode (bent it alittle in my KX7-333R) and my temps are weird (20 degress Woohooo!!). So do i need to remove/re applicate the arctic silver once i remove the HSF?

Well usually the easiest way to apply it seems to be puttin a small dab, about half a grain of rice towards the middle of one side. Then using a flat object, like a plastic card smooth it out. When all said in done, should be able to to still see the text slightly.

As for removing the hsf, usually if its already hardened i would recommend removing the old stuff with some rubbin alcohol and reappling the AS to insure peak performance, as well as proper distribution. :burn:

ASIII won't dry up much at all. It thickens slightly over the first 50-200 hours, but it's not hard to remove. Acetone and a LINT FREE cloth works very well for removal, as recommended in the ASIII instructions. Use a Q-tip if there's any around the core in tight spots. And don't forget to use high purity isopropyl alcohol afterwards to get any chemicals/debree off the cpu. Also, it's not necessary to reapply unless there is enough missing to where the whole core isn't covered at least by a bit. If possible, just resmooth it out with a plastic card, etc. as XprincoX recommended in the earlier post. Hope this helps

Yes it does help extremely. Had an accident with ac3 once, got it on the pins on the cpu. Learned after to put the cpu in the apply the ac3 later. If it gets on the bridges using alcohol will work to get it off? I have VERY shakey hands heh, and the ac3 explodes whenever i put the smallest force on it :eek:

Edien said:
Yes it does help extremely. Had an accident with ac3 once, got it on the pins on the cpu. Learned after to put the cpu in the apply the ac3 later. If it gets on the bridges using alcohol will work to get it off? I have VERY shakey hands heh, and the ac3 explodes whenever i put the smallest force on it :eek:

Alcohol should work well. Try to get the highest percentage of isopropyl alcohol you can find, though. The bridges shouldn't be hurt if you accidentally get ASIII on them.....I don't remember what thread it was but somewhere on these forums I read that someone didn't know any better and covered the WHOLE processor with AS, and it still worked:eek:

Lol, cool. Not going to do that tho heh, I keep gettin the ac3 on everything without noticing. I got it on my hand, my ram, my case. Then I finally realized it when I saw the big silver streaks on my case.

Back