• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo temp read from where?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pRS317

it's never really crossed my mind as to where the mobo temp is actually read from, but now that the temp has risen, so has the question. i'm guessing the northbridge plays a rather large role in this, if not all. so if anyone could tell me what the mobo temp really is, i'd be appreciative :)

I'm using a SD7-533 and the manual indicates that it is read from a thermal probe on the board. (At least the picture shows a thermal temp probe and the picture matches my mobo ;) ). You can e-mail Abit and they'll probably reply to you. I asked them where the processor temps were measured from and they responded within 2 days. They said the processor temp was taken from a diode on the CPU for my board.

Have you checked the manual for your motherboard? It probably shows where the temperature sensor is located. I have the Abit VH6T and there is a thermistor located across from the PCI slots for the mobo temp, and there is another thermistor located under the CPU for the CPU temp.

Check page 2-6 of your manual, item #5. It shows the thermal sensor just to the left of Dimm bank 1 between it and the CPU. There should be a couple of fan headers to the left of it as well. It's JP1.

Back