• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is needed to RMA an intel cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ss284

What exactly is needed to RMA an intel p4? I've heard that both the retail box upc and the heatsink fan are required to RMA the cpu.

Please let me know,
Steven

jdmcnudgent said:
good luck, they are you gonna give you the third degree. but the box and fan.:D

They do ask you some questions about how you've found that the processor is defective and perhaps if you've overclocked it but they don't put your butt on the barbie about it. I RMA'd a PIII a while back and they were fairly nice about it; I told them what was wrong and they told me to ship it back. I had a replacement PIII Coppermine-T in 2 days. All in all, Intel has the best RMA department I've seen yet. Box, fan, and anything else that came with it... they prefer it as close to how you bought it as possible but box and fan should be fine, just make sure the CPU is protected.

OK thanks for the info. Looks like I wont be buying a processor off of somebody then.

-Steven

jazztrumpet216 said:

They do ask you some questions about how you've found that the processor is defective and perhaps if you've overclocked it but they don't put your butt on the barbie about it. I RMA'd a PIII a while back and they were fairly nice about it; I told them what was wrong and they told me to ship it back. I had a replacement PIII Coppermine-T in 2 days. All in all, Intel has the best RMA department I've seen yet. Box, fan, and anything else that came with it... they prefer it as close to how you bought it as possible but box and fan should be fine, just make sure the CPU is protected.
well, they grilled me, and i knew why the cpu was not working, a pin broke off, and i played dumb on the phone, and when they got the cpu, i got a new one back in 2 days, next day air.:D

OK, all they did for me was ask what the computer did upon boot up and if we'd done anything to determine that it was the processor. He just said it sounded like the L2 cache and gave me an RMA number. Oh well. I'm sure they have many techs there and everyone goes about their job differently. Either way, box and fan.

Damn My 2.66 just died! only had it at 1.7v Do they replace your CPU with a OEM piece of junk? Im going to miss this chip it was great to me. One day apps just started flacking, it degraded over 3 days and no longer can boot past the bios. Even with the clock down to 2.0Ghz and defaul all the way around!

They told me I only needed to send the CPU, because they check the CPU against a database, so the box isn't required, as they already know it is a boxed CPU. They replace it with the exact same model, though a different assembly line.

gofastman said:
Damn My 2.66 just died! only had it at 1.7v Do they replace your CPU with a OEM piece of junk? Im going to miss this chip it was great to me. One day apps just started flacking, it degraded over 3 days and no longer can boot past the bios. Even with the clock down to 2.0Ghz and defaul all the way around!

PLEASE don't tell me your gonna try to RMA that thing!!? Link In Sig

Anyway- whats wrong with OEM kit- just means you dont have as much crap cluttering the place.

Last edited:
Steven (SS284), Many places (not just Intel) prefer EVERYTHING sent back to them- box, fan, heatsink, thermal pad, antistatic bag, social security number, passport, left kidney....... :rolleyes:

They will tell you everything you need to know when you call for an RMA number, but be as detailed (and as truthfull) as you can- like if you replaced the stock HSF with a better one, mention it, will show that you kept heat to minimum (but also shows that you go poking around your PC's guts- it s 2sided coin).
If you RMA an item for whatever reason and they find that it wasnt broken by "natural" means (assuming you overclock your chip)- you could get black-marked by Intel (and by connection- possibly other comanies too). You never know when a clean sheet will come in useful.

Good luck

BTW- what do you think killed your chip?

Last edited:
Live long and Prosper you silly Do-Gooders I am getting a new chip, If you and your thousands of other users $400 chip fries I will gladly pay the overhead caused by us burned chip RMA folk. [OC]Lucifer you should change that to [OK]nice-guy, lol

If you would like i will paypal you a penny witch will easily cover 100 fold if not 10,000 times the amount my case hurt you financially next time you buy a CPU :rolleyes:

...Only the strong survive, get with the program.

My paypal address is [email protected].
I'll be waiting.

Truth is, if you killed it yourself, RMA'ing it is no different than stealing it. If intel got really ****y, they could probably charge you with a minor misdemeanor. Food for thought.

I know it's disappointing when you buy something that everyone else is getting to go a mile, and it dies before you can get it that far. But this is one of the hazards of overclocking. If you don't want to take that risk, don't overclock. And you can reduce that risk if you simply don't try to push it to its max.

If I had the time to program a web app that could paypal a penny to each of the users on this board who ***** and moan about RMA’s and overclocking (No New Members, and proof of purchase of a new processor required) I would do it in a second (up to say $200 max say for safety purposes ) I am sure I could recruit a few pennies from other who are tired of hearing this same old story. :rolleyes:

I bet all you outgoing “you break it you buy it” folk are actually in the closet, and would happily bring their Geforce card back to comp USA after the memory failed somehow after a “Safe” 2 MHz Overclock rationalizing with: It was only 2 MHz… “It should have been specked to that speed anyway” in your minds. :eek:

In my opinion I feel this subject is best left untouched. Those that RMA, know what they are doing and just don’t care. :argue: Your badmouthing them is not going to change anything. A misdemeanor is not food for thought for me, it is more like a humorous consideration.. :beer:

Anyway enough ranting from me, time to go eat thanksgiving dinner. I Don’t mean to make enemies as I am sure we all work better together as a collective, yet I am tired of the lip service from all you who wish to appear to be made of gold.

Last edited:
I'm sure you read the arguement in the other thread about RMAing so you know how i feel.
They sure the hell are not going to lose any money!

When i RMAed my last P4 which was a year ago they only asked how i knew it was bad. I told them i tried it on another working system. Simple! No third degree. They only requested the cpu and said the heatsink and fan were not required for return. So guess what i now have an extra heatsink and fan. The return was very quick as mentioned above. I buy everything Retail boxed for the 3 year warranty rather than OEM 1 year.

To GoFastMan

from CaffineHog (from the linked thread)
One of our founding fathers said it best. "Those who value their privilages over their principles will soon lose both."

Shuttle no longer accepts RMA's, it's up to the reseller to eat the cost.

Hard drive warrenties are down from three years to one year.

The way things are going, it will soon be, "You bought it, it's yours."

Were you one of those people who said "What the **** are they thinking?" when IBM decided to reduce warrenty periods with no reduction in the retail cost?

Will you whine when an RMA consists of 5 premium rate phone calls, a full, written explanation & description of your system, a 2week wait for your replacement which will end up being a refurbished chip from Mr Dell's reject pile?

if you answered YES to these question- then GET OVER IT!!
Its YOUR fault that we are all being penalised. And if you have a spare $200 to pay-pal "each of the users on this board who ***** and moan about RMA’s and overclocking" then why bother pleading innocent to Intel- you could BUY a bigger and better chip and use your burned out one as a paperweight/ornament.

RMA by all means- but at tell them how much you fried it before your system went down on you!

SS284= I'm really sorry your thead got turned into a battlefield- Cookies in the mail

*Edit*

Do not bypass the filter using cutesy spellings or l337 5p34l<

LutaWicasa
Forums Moderator

*Edit*

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sick of seeing all of this. For God's sakes this was a thread from June, why on God's green earth was this resurrected? This is another damn debate with the O.E.M. and it's time enough some of us shut our mouths rather than try and impress our values upon others. It will not change their minds and only leads to flame wars. The sig links show where YOU stand on the issue and that's all that is necessary. We are not a police force.

So please, EVERYBODY, for the sake of my sanity, LET THIS THREAD DIE.

Re: To GoFastMan

T.Toy said:

Were you one of those people who said "What the **** are they thinking?" when IBM decided to reduce warrenty periods with no reduction in the retail cost?
[/size]

Western digital and maxtor reduced warranties, don't think IBM did

If you want to RMA a chip you overclocked then do it, i personally think it's wrong, but people shouldn't be harrassing you. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I second JAZZ

Lets not have another "war" about this topic, why argue? The thread began about whats needed to RMA a chip. All you need is the chip, cooked, uncooked whatever. Thats all you need, call the Intel guys, tell em what h'append and get your new one. PERIOD!

But do let us know what you get and how it OC's ;).

Peace,

Kam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back