• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding + Heat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ThePunkGeek said:
Could a Duron 1.1 @ stock everything run folding@home with the stock heatsink without a problem?
Yes, I believe so. I have three 1.2 Durons @ stock speed running F@H with the hsf that came with them with no problem. Of course, 2 of them are not in cases. But, if your case has good air flow, no prob. Keep an eye on it at first, though, with MBM.

I have an XP 1800 running the crappy aluminum HS and fan that is folding 24/7. I'm waiting for my HardCore Cooling shippment and the rig is running just fine.

Wedo

It will fold just fine. The only thing is if you are going to overclock it would be a good idea to look into a better cooling solution. Welcome another box to the FOLD:D

... and in summer you'll find room temperature rising a bit cause the folding machine transfers electiricity into heat...

I actually e-mailed AMD asking them a similar question to this, and they told me that as long as I have proper case cooling (one intake in the front and one exhaust at the back), I should be fine. They didn't mention about the stock HSF, so I assume that if AMD included it with its retail package, its designed to handle such heat. But this is assuming that you run your PC at stock.

BTW, they also told me that running your CPU full load at such long hours is fine with the CPU as long as it doesn't overheat (and if it's not overclocked). I thought I'd add this in just in case someone is wondering about this. ;)

esit said:
BTW, they also told me that running your CPU full load at such long hours is fine with the CPU as long as it doesn't overheat (and if it's not overclocked). I thought I'd add this in just in case someone is wondering about this. ;)
I have several that have been running at full load for months. :D :cool:

hmmm i overclock all mine but they seem to be still running a bit high at 48-52 so i ducted 120mm 108cfm sunons on them to keep temps down around 34-35... i rather keep my cpus cool they say it last longer dunno if there is any truth in it.

I guess overclocking and folding at the same time will really strain the hardware, especially if you're doing 24/7. My mobo manual says overclocking is OK as long as it's not for the long-term. Not sure what their definition of long-term is, but I guess they recommend giving the CPU a rest once in a while. ;)

esit said:
I actually e-mailed AMD asking them a similar question to this, and they told me that as long as I have proper case cooling (one intake in the front and one exhaust at the back), I should be fine. They didn't mention about the stock HSF, so I assume that if AMD included it with its retail package, its designed to handle such heat. But this is assuming that you run your PC at stock.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles471/

Actually, the AMD retail sink is pretty cheesy...just look above!! I'm sure you can get away with it though, just make sure case cooling is adequate. If you can afford it, I'd look into getting something like a speeze superrock...much much better cooling, not too loud at all, and only abouy $7.50. Thats money well spent.

Regardless though, it should get the job done, but in a hot manner...

Mike

Breadfan said:
Actually, the AMD retail sink is pretty cheesy
Mike
I never said they were not cheesy!!! They are about the absolute minimum you can get away with.

Breadfan said:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles471/

Actually, the AMD retail sink is pretty cheesy...just look above!! I'm sure you can get away with it though, just make sure case cooling is adequate. If you can afford it, I'd look into getting something like a speeze superrock...much much better cooling, not too loud at all, and only abouy $7.50. Thats money well spent.

Regardless though, it should get the job done, but in a hot manner...

Mike
What in the world is a speeze superrock and where do you get one?

Sure my Xp has the stock hsf unit on it with it being overclocked and folding. It gets to about an uncomfortable 51 C. Livable for that kind of action, but if anyone has a cheap hsf that they would like me to have I wouldn't complain. Getting married kicks my butt in the pocket book.:D

I have about 50C too right now (but it's a hot day today). I usually get 47-48C, not o/ced and stock HSF on my XP 1700. But I'll be modding my case and improving the cooling system soon, so hopefully I could get it down.

And yeah, what's a speeze superrock?

Back