• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Joining Plexiglas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr_Scrub

Could someone point me to a thread about working with Plexiglas? Specifically, how do you fuse/weld/glue Plexi panels to each other without looking ghetto?

Don't have a link, but you want to cut your pieces exactly square, and from either a hardware, plumbing, or electronics store, get some acrylic adhesive. This fuses the pieces together, and if done slowly and neatly, gives a very professional look.

Since were (sort of) on the subject, is it possible to make a cut really transparent? What I'm thinking of, is that the cut often is less transparent then the rest. Or if you need to smooth something and use either a file or sanding, is it possible to go from that "frosted" look and back to shiny and transparent?

Mr_Scrub said:
Could someone point me to a thread about working with Plexiglas? Specifically, how do you fuse/weld/glue Plexi panels to each other without looking ghetto?

Go to your local hardware store and purchase some acrylic solvent cement. The key to good seam is to use an applicator which is also available at a hardware store. The applicator has a long thin metal nozzle, almost like a hypodermic needle. This allows for precise placement of the cement. And as stated above, it is most important that your pieces fit together square. The solvent cement will not make up for a poor fit, such as a silicone glue will. But I think using a solvent cement gives the best looking and strongest seam.

Just my 2 cents. :)

on your cuts.. yes, you can sand the cut surface use wet&dry sandpaper...start with a coarse grit and work to a finer grit.. then use really fine and water... after that its best to polish with ZAM or is it ZAP... a jewelry supply can set you up with a buff and the ZAP stuff.. you can check your local yellow pages for "plastic supplies" or sign makers...

my 2 cents
Charlie :beer:

will the acrylic solvent cement make it so that water will not leak out? or would u have to buy something else so that it will not leak?

michael_cth said:
will the acrylic solvent cement make it so that water will not leak out? or would u have to buy something else so that it will not leak?

If it's done properly it should not leak. Of course you would want to test it before you actually used it in your computer. You could always add a thin bead of silicone in the joints if you wanted. Better safe than sorry.:D

64Thunderbolt said:
on your cuts.. yes, you can sand the cut surface use wet&dry sandpaper...start with a coarse grit and work to a finer grit.. then use really fine and water... after that its best to polish with ZAM or is it ZAP... a jewelry supply can set you up with a buff and the ZAP stuff.. you can check your local yellow pages for "plastic supplies" or sign makers...

my 2 cents
Charlie :beer:

i use micromesh 8,000 grit. then polish it off with 12,000. seems to work well. if you buy the kit you get a bottle of stuff to make the finishing touches nearly glass-like.

also... any jewelry stuff you need you can get through rio grande jewelry supply company. not sure if they are online, but i figure they are.

Back