• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Distro should I try?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which distro should I try?

• Slack

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Debian

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Mandrake

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Red Hat

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Gentoo

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • SuSE

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Free BSD

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Open BSD

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Net BSD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Solaris

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

Thelemac

Administratively Deficient
Taking votes on which distro I should give a try.

I've managed to install quite a few and have had them running for a bit, but I just did a bit of swapping so need a new distro to setup. :)

I'll leave this up for a week or so.

ill plug mandrake. not much experience to back it up. ive tryed redhat. mandrake seems to be redhat and then some. my freind at school uses it and i think hes a genius. hes a teacher for computer/network/programing classes. so i guess thats his plug as well lol

parkan said:
Debian all the way! And the last 4 are not even distros.

They are too distros! Just not Linux distros. :D

There isabsolutely no reason to use any other distro! Debian just beats all!

ahem

Yes, I think debian would be a great distro for any purpose. It may be a little hard at first, but you will quickly learn real linux configuration tools (which can be used on most unixes), real package management (*points at rpm and laughs*) and real linux feel (unlike Rh and Mandrake Debian is not obsessed with making a windoze user feel at home and instead introduces the awesome power of the command line. X is just for web browsing (although there's always w3m), image viewing(although there's always aalib) and opening multiple xterms simultaneously)

I've burned my 608Mb downloaded Libernet/Debian distro to CD-ROM. It looks a lot easier for a virgin Linux newbie like myself to install than Debian. It's the 'Potato 2.2 kernal but once I get familar with Linux and feel comfortable working in it, I can apt-get the latest 'woody' or 'sid' and upgrade with the greatest of ease.

I'll let you all know how it works out after I install it dual boot with win98lite. It'll be nice to finally run my box with both processors working.

SuSE!

:clap: :beer: :cool:

I would say SuSE because it offers multiple 'difficulty levels'. If you want the nice fancy GUI, install linux with YaST2 and install the standard installation. If you want more control and flexibility then you can select whole categories of packages at a time. For greatest control use YaST1 and install that way.

I have always used SuSE, and I love it.

David

parkan said:
Yes, there is a number of graphical instal (like PGI) systems for Debian. Take all the fun out of it though. Here is a link to PGI (pronounced piggy):
http://archive.progeny.com/progeny/pgi/

It's only fun if you succeed in the installation. ;)

Maybe when I'm comfortable and reasonably proficient with command line controls in a few years, I'll take the plunge and build from scratch using source code.

Hey, I'm just starting to learn DOS, LOL. (Dumb Operating System):burn:

David said:
SuSE!

:clap: :beer: :cool:

I would say SuSE because it offers multiple 'difficulty levels'. If you want the nice fancy GUI, install linux with YaST2 and install the standard installation. If you want more control and flexibility then you can select whole categories of packages at a time. For greatest control use YaST1 and install that way.

I have always used SuSE, and I love it.

David

But Yast1 is still another "tool" restricting you

Audioaficionado said:

It's only fun if you succeed in the installation. ;)

Maybe when I'm comfortable and reasonably proficient with command line controls in a few years, I'll take the plunge and build from scratch using source code.

Hey, I'm just starting to learn DOS, LOL. (Dumb Operating System):burn:

Dirty operating system actually (real name) :D

I voted for Solaris.

I downloaded the free version a while back and tried to install it.........

I just want to see someone else suffer:D

sfa ok said:

Maybe that's why you love it. :p

I know that you know a lot about Linux, may I suggest trying a dual-boot with another distro, such as Debian or Gentoo? Once you leave RPM's, you may never be able to go back.

This article fits me perfectly:
http://www.distrowatch.com/article-rpm.php
that was a wonderful artical! i actualy thought rpm problems were my fault and ive done the dependency jig too many times. im gonna investigate another distro to play with tonight

sfa ok said:

Maybe that's why you love it. :p

I know that you know a lot about Linux, may I suggest trying a dual-boot with another distro, such as Debian or Gentoo? Once you leave RPM's, you may never be able to go back.

This article fits me perfectly:
http://www.distrowatch.com/article-rpm.php

Great article. I'm already trying Linux from Scratch and I'm considering Slackware too. Very good read.

-DarkArctic

FNG(f'n new guy)

what about for a guy just starting out in the linux world....
i already burned the iso's for mandrake.... should i try something else?

Back