• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit kt7a v1.0-1.2 - Nvidia Ti4200 issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radunn

I'm experiencing monitor blanks when trying to install Windows 2000 Pro or XP from the bootable cd after files are copied at "Setup is starting Windows..."

The chipset is VIA kt133/a with latest 4n1 drivers (40a). I've contacted eVGA tech who were unable to reproduce the problem. Any leads?

radunn said:
I'm experiencing monitor blanks when trying to install Windows 2000 Pro or XP from the bootable cd after files are copied at "Setup is starting Windows..."

The chipset is VIA kt133/a with latest 4n1 drivers (40a). I've contacted eVGA tech who were unable to reproduce the problem. Any leads?
When you say you already have the latest 4in1 drivers that make me think that you already have a prior OS installed in your system since you can not install the 4in1s otherwise. I suggest you do a complete format & reinstall so you are sure to start off clean.

I do have an OS installed; Windows 2000 Pro, SP2. The issue with the Ti4200 is that attmepting to repair Windows 2000 is when the blank screen occurs at "Setup is starting Windows..." Out of curiosity, I inserted the XP cd and the same occurence happens.

I upgraded to GF4 replacing a Voodoo3 3000; learned that "all" voodoo files etc. should be thoroughly removed (including registry remnants). After uninstalling the Voodoo via Device Manager & add/remove programs I proceeded to Regedit.exe; here I removed a percentage but there's a significant amount of keys left that give errors "error deleting key...." when a delete attempt is made. These attempts might be irrelevant because I also tried the card on a freshly formatted hard drive; same error.... so it looks like a bum card?

Also received feedback from a NG (idientical probem) who's resolution is to install the OS (2K - XP) with another card, then replace Ti4200 after the OS is installed. That worked for me, but is non-sensical/redundant IMO.

I've contacted eVGA tech support whom are very prompt and supportive; they tried reproducing the error with the Ti4200 on a Asus VIA KT266 and wasn't successful. Advise is to replace the card which I am in the process of doing.

If anyoneo has experienced this issue and know the resolve, please reply. Thanks!

Radunn
:argue:

There was another member here who had the same issue & it was never resolved. You could try a BIOS update but can not garantee it as a resolve to your problem. Which BIOS rev are you using?

Not unless they can check on the same board let alone the same chipset, they will not be able to reproduce your problem.

Abit just released a new Bios that addresses this issue. Go to Pauls FAQ page on Viahw page, he says its for the rev 1.3 boards only...dunno why.

Good luck guys

gotey,

thanks for the reply. i couldn't find anything saying that it addressed this issue. where did u read this info. and will it work on the kt7a v1.2 mobo? thanks

radunn

The lates BIOS are;
  • 9R

1. For KT7A/KT7A-RAID V1.3 only (identified by version number on bar-coded sticker)

2. Fix nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4x00 AGP card compatibility issue with Windows XP

3. HPT 37x BIOS version 1.11.0402. The RAID function is for KT7A-RAID only.

4. BIOS Compile Date: 6/11/2002

5. Official as far as PAUL is concerned.
  • 9R + 2.32

1. For KT7A/KT7A-RAID V1.3 only (identified by version number on bar-coded sticker)

2. Fix nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4x00 AGP card compatibility issue with Windows XP

3. HPT 37x BIOS version 2.32. The RAID function is for KT7A-RAID only.

4. Use at your own risk.
  • 7N

1. For KT7A/KT7A-RAID V1.0 - V1.2 only (identified by version number on bar-coded sticker)

2. Support up to 137GB HDD and above.

3. HPT 370 RAID BIOS version 1.11.0402. The RAID function is for KT7-RAID / KT7A-RAID only. This BIOS version is also for non RAID boards and HPT BIOS will be automatically disabled while RAID controller chip not detected.

4. BIOS Compile Date: 2002/01/31
  • 7N + 2.32

1. For KT7A/KT7A-RAID V1.0 - V1.2 only (identified by version number on bar-coded sticker)

2. Support up to 137GB HDD and above.

3. HPT 370 RAID BIOS version 2.32. The RAID function is for KT7-RAID / KT7A-RAID only. This BIOS version is also for non RAID boards and HPT BIOS will be automatically disabled while RAID controller chip not detected.

4. Use at your own risk.

Sonny / gotey;

I saw that post "after" I posted. I wrote to Abit tech, inquiring if they'll do a patch for the kt7a v1.0-1.2 boards. I'm sure the fix addresses Windows 2000 as well as XP. Thanks

Radunn

i have the same motherboard and vid card and had the same problem. i installed my old gforce ddr and installed xp with no problem. then i reinstalled the 4200. everything is working great. i have no idea why it wont load with the 4200 installed. must be power supply issue.

The 9r BIOS will "not" work --> -first hand info from Abit tech support- Microsoft Knowledge base has information for this blank screen issue. It has to do with pressing F5 at the F6 screen and choosing the HAL-"ACPI-PC" option. Haven't tried this yet as I returned my card; hoping a replacement solves it, but i guess not huh?
Here's "one" of the articles:

SUMMARY
This article describes how to specify a specific or third-party hardware abstraction layer (HAL) during Windows Setup.

Selecting a specific or third-party HAL during Setup should be necessary only if you have a HAL provided by a third party, or if Windows Setup does not detect your hardware correctly.

NOTE : This procedure works only when installing from a CD-ROM. When installing from setup boot floppies, a problem in the installation program prevents the installation of a third-party HAL.

back to the top

Selecting a HAL During Setup
During the first phase of Setup, at the Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration screen, press the F5 key.

Click the appropriate HAL, or click Other to specify a third-party HAL. The available HALs include:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC
ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible
MPS Uniprocessor PC
MPS Multiprocessor PC
Standard PC
Standard PC with C-Step i486
Other

Continue with Setup to complete the installation.

I installed winxp using a sis card, and switched to my gf4 after, but still i got stability problems, my comp. freezez after about 5 minutts playing quake3 or medal of honor, it can also happen while im just surfing......it didn`t happen with my old card (gf2 pro)

Anyone know what it can be? Its not my psu (400w)
Will abit release bios 9r for rev 1.1? since that may solve this problem

Swapping vid cards to install win2k / XP is the current resolve for this problem; I dont like it.. but oh well.

Not familiar with lockups you're having after 2k's installed. Do you have the latest drivers for the GF4.. and did you thoroughly remove the old vid drivers before new drivers?

The MS Knowledge base page should also work; have you tried this?

I contacted Abit tech regarding drivers like 9r for v1.1-1.2 boards; no direct respone :(

Back