• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first AMD XP overclock!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yanks111

Woot! Its finally nighttime here (colder outside, still sweating...IN CT!) and I decided, what the he!! and began the overclocking of my 1600+. so far I have gotten it to 1800+ speeds and my temps are around 42C.

I have only been using my new xp for 2 days, over the next couple weeks of use will i be able to get it much higher?

From what i heard you need to burn them in to get good temps when overclocking?

for testing, Prime95 is a good way, right?

how much more do you think I could get out of my chip if I unlocked it?

I'm pretty sure my stepping is agoga "y".

Are the Aroia's that much better in overclocking?

Nice overclock. Make sure your overclock is stable, as you mentioned testing it in Prime95 (Using the Torture Test). The AROIA was the later steppings for the Athlon XP, so yes they were that much better to overclock since the AGOGA was when it was in the middle stages.

Whenever you take the heatsink off (Don't bother if you don't have to, it doesn't benefit anything and anything can happen), read the letters under the stepping, if the first letter is Y... Then it's a Y.

Yodums

I just put back on the heatsink after applying some arctic silver3, and suprsingly brought the temps to 37, its amzing the difference between the cheapo 2 dollar stuff and the AS3.

How long do you recomend to burn in the processor?

I've heard that keeping your temps around 42C is a good idea.

Maybe I should take out that dremel and start making fan holes....

yanks111 said:
I just put back on the heatsink after applying some arctic silver3, and suprsingly brought the temps to 37, its amzing the difference between the cheapo 2 dollar stuff and the AS3.

How long do you recomend to burn in the processor?

I've heard that keeping your temps around 42C is a good idea.

Maybe I should take out that dremel and start making fan holes....

Case mods are always welcome! Add some airflow. Keeping it under 45 degrees is one thing. Keeping a good C/W is another. What are your room, case temps and CPU temps at load? Also, remember AS3 takes about 1 week to settle. Burn it in always. You should consider a DC Project to keep burning in while helping areas in science.

Back