• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP firewall any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Is the win XP firewall that comes with the os good or should I use a third party prog?

i heard it's really complicated,

All I did was "enable" it and it runs. Do you mean, to get the best protection out of it I need to tweak some complicated settings?

i heard somewhere it only watches incoming packets.. thus if you say get a trojan horse or something that will infest your computer and send information out.. it won't meter this and thus you could have information stolen.. if your that worried or just need the piece of mind, i would advise downloading zone alarm. although its a pain to click 'yes' and check 'remember what i say' the first few times.. its free and it will give you extra piece of mind :)

it's very weak, use Zonealarm too. Blackice is full of spyware.

Yeah, I am gonna download the zonealarm prog. I can't stand spyware, so it looks like I'm gonna be in the zone!!

Together my computer is totaly stealth to the internet. Check it out. I am extreamly satisfied with these two programs.

I just had my computer probed by "shields up." I passed the port probing with flying colors. They said my rig is totally stealthed, it is like I am wearing an invisible suit. Thanks bros...krag

how does the symantec personal firewall program work? is it worth it, cause i can get a good deal on it....i havnt had enough money to get a router yet...im not really worried about anyone hacking into my computer...but until i get a router...should i go pick up that program?

RangerJoe said:
how does the symantec personal firewall program work? is it worth it, cause i can get a good deal on it....i havnt had enough money to get a router yet...im not really worried about anyone hacking into my computer...but until i get a router...should i go pick up that program?

You can't get a better deal than FREE.

I use Zone Alarm and this other third party called Shields Up.
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Together my computer is totaly stealth to the internet. Check it out. I am extreamly satisfied with these two programs.

When you guys say"my computer is totaly stealth to the internet" does that mean your untracable? I don't know much about the subject. Would that mean that any logs of who has been on a webserver would not know your ip/hostname?

From what I understand from the info I learned from these two services that I use, It seems as if I'm not even connected to the net. I don't know how to explain it in detail. You can go to their sites and read about them in detail. I don't know about the rest of your questions.

Back