• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buy an unlocked xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badgers

anyplace I can buy an unlocked XP?
I got a gigabyte KT333 in hopes of hitting 166FSB.
I would be fine if my processor is running at stock speed if I had a faster front side bus.

thanks, I am trying unlocking again today, Attempt number three...
Heres to hope:)

alot of the xp1600s will hit 166 with stock multiplier (some with even higher then stock multiplier)
the agoias aroias usually go without a problem (i think thats the write stepping)

i dunno how often he does it but ask Arkaine23 he can get these chips and unlocked them good a decent price (canada to us exchange rates/ duty fees are horrible but still :D

You could also ask people who have an unlocked chip if they'd be willing to sell you theirs...

I'm about to put mine up for sale... I got a decent chip, but my greed has got the best of me and I'm feeling the itch to try another one for an even better OC... :D

I'm sorry you're having trouble unlocking yours... have you got any of the multipliers yet? Or what seems to be stopping you from doing it correctly?

my problem has been that the window defoger paint is like water.
It seems to seep under the tape and touch the other contacts.

when I try to unlock my system doesn't boot.
When I remove the paint with nail polish, it works fine.

I am sure it is my fault, not the chip. I just can't seem to get those damn little dots.:confused:

Here's a hint I picked up in a thread here:

fill the pits/trenches with whatever you use (Superglue in my case)

when ready, take 1 strand of small wire and paint the bridges.
My last two unlocks took me ten minutes.

Beats the half hour it used to take!

badgers said:
my problem has been that the window defoger paint is like water.
It seems to seep under the tape and touch the other contacts.

when I try to unlock my system doesn't boot.
When I remove the paint with nail polish, it works fine.

I am sure it is my fault, not the chip. I just can't seem to get those damn little dots.:confused:

Can you get a hold of some conductive ink? I tried the defogger stuff and it wouldn't take for me.
If you have a "Frys" in your town, they have it.
And maybe invest in a magnifying glass with a light on a stand. It's worth the money if you plan on unlocking in the future.
They're not that expensive..

There is a place that will unlock a cpu you send them for $35.
Thats alot in my opinon but if interested pm me and I will give you a link to the site.

grunjee said:

I checked out that link.... his price for unlocking is good IMO... although he doesn't guarantee the most superb overclocks.

The only question you have to ask yourself about a place like this is:

1) Do they really just unlock random CPUs and sell them.

OR

2) Do they bin all the bad overclockers and sell them as "unlocked CPUs".

I'd like to think it was the first, but I'm always skeptical that the situation right really be the second. Maybe I'm just overly suspicious.

Also nothing personal against this site, but you'll see many pretested CPU sellers rate their CPUs at 1.90 volts. Just keep in mind that a CPU running at 1.90 volts is going to be BURNING UP. :)

Nagorak said:

Just keep in mind that a CPU running at 1.90 volts is going to be BURNING UP. :)

If you have air cooling, perhaps, but with watercooling, 1.90 Volts is nothing :)

Check my sig... I laugh at the thought of lowering my voltage to 1.90 :D

Thanks for all your help.
I smoked the processor.

Electronic circuits work on smoke not electricity. If you let the smoke out, it stops working.

Which stepping should I look for when buying a new processor?

thanks

stepping

AROIA, AGOIA, AGOGA in that order. A "Y" following the 5 letter code is also good.

I can pick the stepping from a local store as thepunkgeek mentioned. The problem is that they don't keep much stock on hand in the 1600+ department and that I have to pay retail price and state sales tax. A 1600+ (Agoia and Agoga are the only 2 steppings I've seen so far) costs me $104 not including shipping. This store does not sell online, but they do have a website. www.laboratorycomputers.com

Thepunkgeek: Ready and waiting. I bought more defogger paint yesterday. :D I'll have enough money to front the cost of the XP on the 1st if your money order has not arrived by then. The place has 1 Agoia 1600+ right now and I asked them to hold it for me. I think they're starting to realize I can move a few XP's each month of the good-stepping-1600+ variety, so maybe they'll start ordering a few extra.

Last edited:
There is some 1/16 or 1/32" electrical drafting tape that comes on a miniature roll and is perfect size for between the bridges and no material leaks under the tape. A perfect line every time. Highly reccomend. Only available at an electrical supply type store.

Back