• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooled Hercules 8500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

morphling1

Hi, I'm in the process of making water cooling for my Hercules 8500. It will be all in on solution one block covering gpu and ddr on one side on the other block ddr on the other side. Blocks will be connected between them, so I will only have one inlet and outlet for complete cooling. That was the result of brainstorming with my friend Boris yesterday, and 3h of acad drawing and modifying details today.
Here's preview of things to come.
herc8500.JPG

Hi I just made bottom Cu block for one side, just need to mill away few thing to evade capacitators on the card, I'll post pics tomorrow

Todays work :
block3.jpg

block4.jpg

I finished the most boring part of the job, and that's taping all the M3 holes, 21 total. And if you think that, with hand tap, you have to do each hole three times, that's a lot of taping. Tomorrow I'll do little grinding to mate both blocks perfect, then it's just joy of working with plexy .

Yes I know Bladerunners work, he's good. But hey I just got this Hercules 8500 and it's my first card worth of watercooling.
I can only say when I'm finnished with my card, I think you'll change your mind ...

Looking very good and it's nice to have some competition in the home made complete vga water-cooling arena :cool:

I do need to get some better equipment myself, what are you using there? has a nice milling bed.

One small observation, have you checked the mobo the card will be fitted to?, becasuse mine, (and I guess some others), have capacitors near the bottom of the card that would foul the bottom of the backside block of your design.

BladeRunner, you inspired me to make something for Ati cards, and until Silversinksam show me this, I thought that you only do nvidia based cards. I saw your Asus GF3 mod, and more recent GF4, beatiful work. I try to desing this block so I won't have to use any epoxy (problem with ati cards, they don't have any holes in pcb), the block will be removable, with connection on top to simply connect hosing from cpu waterblock to this one, and then go back to T junction and pump.
As for my machine, I'm using desktop lathe (x,y table) with drill press :) Similar to yours except newer.
Yes graphic card has been checked precisely (see acad draw.) I measured all capacitators, reseistors, ther height, position, difference in height between gpu and ddr, everything.
So everything that need to be evade will be milled out in wb.

Here's today work:
Both block are now grinded to be aligned
block5.jpg

Here's the top and bottom block from the other side
block6.jpg

block7.jpg

And here's both block on the card, everything was Ok all resistors and capacitators were cleared and the blocks are sitting on gpu and ddr, and the card is now running like that in my computer.
Hercules1.jpg

Hercules2.jpg

Next for me is to solder connection block to lower block and then milled it to the exact height if the gap between the block, and also solder caps for those two capacitors in one block, then just plexy top with chanells and o-ring grove and I'm done :D

looks fine and I don't doubt for a minute that you know what you are doing ;) . I was just commenting from what I'd found with my mobo, and build, (and from what I've seen with many other current AMD mobos). The pink area I marked on your cooler's backside block would foul the system ram slots, (retention pins) even without the plexi part fitted, I guess it depends on mobo type but I've noticed more are positioning the ram slots near to the vga card. Even without any cooler obstruction I have to remove the VGA card to open the first ram bank clip on this Nforce!

herculesedit.jpg

BladeRunner said:

The pink area I marked on your cooler's backside block would foul the system ram slots, (retention pins) even without the plexi part fitted, I guess it depends on mobo type but I've noticed more are positioning the ram slots near to the vga card. Even without any cooler obstruction I have to remove the VGA card to open the first ram bank clip on this Nforce!

Thats a very valid point. I think it would struggle to fit on my Kr7a.

btw I'm new from OCAU - please be nice to me :)

Dewey

BladeRunner said:
looks fine and I don't doubt for a minute that you know what you are doing ;) . I was just commenting from what I'd found with my mobo, and build, (and from what I've seen with many other current AMD mobos). The pink area I marked on your cooler's backside block would foul the system ram slots, (retention pins) even without the plexi part fitted, I guess it depends on mobo type but I've noticed more are positioning the ram slots near to the vga card. Even without any cooler obstruction I have to remove the VGA card to open the first ram bank clip on this Nforce!

herculesedit.jpg

omg thats thing looks sweet nice work

Yes, I know that marked area is a problem, but my card is now basicaly as long as gf4 4400/4600 and the plexy part will have the same foot print as cu block, so it could fit in most WELL designed boards, but with my Epox 8kha+ I had a problem and I had to remove ddr modul from dimm slot1 to fit it in. Damn those board designers, I mean how could they make such a desing which blocks all the longer agp cards is beyond me, if the dimms were ~1cm higher everything would be cool.

Welcome to the forums Dewey

i have been lurking this thread... and WOW is this sweet!!!!

i cant wait to see the final product!, and i have been looking into watercooling a whole gfx card, but never had one worth watercooling... still waiting for that day....

This is what I was doing today, designing modified version to so there wouldn't be problems with dimm slots in the way, this will be (if I'm going to do it) also machined version, the only thing missing are two 1/2" fittings on the back block.

85002.JPG

8500ex2.JPG

8500ex3.JPG

8500b.JPG

Last edited:
very nice!!! how far have you gotten on it so far? any more than the last pics???

Back