• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats OEM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am quite the opposite; I avoid retail and buy OEM. It is usually cheaper, and if I don't break the thing in 30 days, then it is a keeper. :p Like my CPU; I didn't need a HSF, so I went OEM. I saved like $20 on that...

parkan said:
OEM items are mostly intended for white box computer manufacturers, not end users.

That is definitely true, however a lot of places (example: NewEgg) offer OEM products directly to consumers/end users.

basically resellers can save big on a bulk of oem products. 1, they dont come with those fancy boxes, so u wont get charged for that. also yes the warrantee is much less. but that doesnt mean the product is not as good as retail. if the average consumer walked into Frys electronics and saw a bunch of video cards in a static bag without fancy pictures they wouldnt have anything to read or wouldnt even know what they heck they are looking at. With OEM, u just get the product and what is needed to make it work, such as drivers, nothing else. No extended warrantee card to fill out... u get the idea. Oem is mostly for the pros, and generally not sold to the public. yes, some vendors like newegg offer it to the public.

i dont think i would ever buy myself a boxed processor, because rite after i test it to make sure it works its gonna be unlocked.. and voided the 3yr warrenty... so thats basicly pointless....

maskedgeek said:
i dont think i would ever buy myself a boxed processor, because rite after i test it to make sure it works its gonna be unlocked.. and voided the 3yr warrenty... so thats basicly pointless....

True; however, can't you lock the processor back up? :p

actually i think you can, just take some of that acetone stuff to the thing and rub it all off, but who knows how much of the other stuff it would rub off...

yea it doesnt matter even if you get it off if theres a sign that the cpu has ben screwed with people wont return it. oem is all i buy. the only people who need the retail box is newbies who dont oc but just a little bit who dont have the budget to get a better hs/f and just need a computer that runs.

retail processors are oem processors with a box and a crappy heatsink....

exactly like the masked one put it. retail is an oem with a box and horrible heat sink

maskedgeek said:
retail processors are oem processors with a box and a crappy heatsink....

I thought i already made that clear. Retail comes with boxes and OEM is just the product and whatever is needed for it to work. like wires or drivers. OEM has no instructions no fancy box just the bare minimum. Thats y u dont see them in big RETAIL stores like Frys, cuzz its the average consumers that buy there, not the people that know better. There is no difference in quality for retail or oem.

For a retail processor how does the warranty work? I mean usually if the thing is bad after 30 days you either fried it most likely

Back