• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No problem with DTL Samsung here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clevor

I had a 'good' stick of 512 MB Samsung PC2700, that did 2-2-2-5-1 at 200-210 on a P4S533 board. However it could only muster 2800/2800 Sandra marks. I could clear 3k on the 1st mark only by cheating: disabling my USB ports, which are good for 200 marks on that board.

On an MSI 645E Max-LRU, the same stick could only do 154 FSB, 4:5 or 193 mhz max, at SPD-N-N-N. Around 2650 Sandra marks.

Also have 2 sticks of 256 MB Samsung PC2700, CTL sticks. These will do DDR412 and DDR426 (one stick) on a P4B266-E board. Breaks 3k easy.

Anyways, the 512 MB stick crapped out on me, so I RMAed it to Newegg and ordered another. Got the DTL stick. I decided to give it a try before returning it.

'Guess what folks? It performs exactly the same as the CTL stuff. Maxes out at the same level on the MSI board, and I got it to do DDR412 on the P4B266-E (see my attachment). Now I couldn't see if it will do 2-2-2-5-1 on the P4S533 board as I got rid of that board, but it maxes out at the level on the MSI board so looks like it. And the stick wasn't even burnt in.

As expected, it won't do DDR426 on the P4B266-E board as I could only do it with one 256 MB stick. But breaking the 3k barrier at DDR412 is not bad at all for 2.5-3-3-7 (which the board is locked out at over DDR333).

I think if you can't overclock the DTL sticks well, it must be a limitation of your motherboard.

Thats pretty good... Your not the first person to get a good overclock with the DTL sticks..

Question what numbers do you have... On the samsung original sticker to the right of Korea whats the numbers? I have a theory.. That it could all be the lastest batch that suck.

Knownkiller, I'm at work now. But I think you are asking for the batch date. The DTL sticks I have are 0221.

Now the 1st 512 MB stick I got I'm not sure was a CTL, as I bought it about 1.5 months ago. It was 0219. When I RMAed it to Newegg it was before this DTL fiasco so I didn't check whether it was DTL or CTL. But after burning in it did do 2-2-2-5-1 at 200-210 on a P4S533 board, but only in Memtest. When I actually booted an OS, had to drop down to 2.5-2-2-6-1, and memory scores were lousy, around 2800. But they were always lousy on that P4S533 board.

BTW, there might be some merit is getting two 256 MB sticks. It won't overclock quite as well as a single 512, but you can always drop down to one stick to get outrageous overclocks. I can do DDR426 with one 256 MB stick, and hit 3200/3100 Sandra. Bigtoe on the Asusboards.com forum can hit 3400 at DDR430 or something, with one 256 MB stick. I got mine stable in 3D. These are CTL sticks, though. I hear with two sticks you can enable 4-way interleaving on Athlon boards.

Cool... Oh ya dont need 2 sticks to enable interleaving on an Athlon board.. Just one stick.

Sounds interesting.. My 2 256 sticks with the DTL are both 224... I bet ya sticks like under 222 are good or something.. hehe..

I've tried burning in my sticks like every night when i'm sleeping and its not helping any.. WHo knows... I wonder if anyone will figure this crap out hehe.. Prob just a bad batch with everyone getting 224's like me.. Never thought to ask anyone else that.

Anyways.. I dont think it has anything to do with the boards i'm using.. I have both the Abit KX7 Raid and the Epox 8K3A and in both i get the same 170 turbo settings is the highest i can do stable any higher and no go... And thats just using one of the 2 sticks durring the testing. I even tried a high vdimm of 3.0 and no different.. i wasnt about to max what the board could do and throw 3.2 volts on the stick and fry it.. since i wanted to return them..

I just ordered 2 more sticks of samsung from newegg.. now that they seperated the CTL and DTL into different orders.. So i should be happy... Hopfully hehe..

Back