• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 98 Login Screen Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MightyJoe7

Registered
Yes, I know it may sound crazy and all, but I just did a fresh install of windows 98 (the first edition) onto my brand spanking new computer and the login screen that pops up the very first time you turn it on won't go away... it says that if no password is entered that it will not be shown when windows is loaded again, but every time windows starts it pops up with the same little "tip: if no password is entered this screen will no longer be shown". Does anyone know if there's a fix for this or anything because it tends to be very annoying and it bothers me (don't ask why, just one of those pet peeves :p ) Thanks a bunch yo :)

Joe

You may want to give this a try...

Locate and delete or rename your password list file. The file is named <Username>.pwl, where <Username> is the name you use to log on, and should be located in the Windows folder. After you delete or rename the file, restart Windows.

If you rename your password list file, be sure to rename the .pwl file extension to a different extension (such as .xxx). If you don't rename the file extension, the password list file is loaded into memory. ;)

ok guys, just an update... so I'm sitting here after downloading all of microsoft's "critical updates" and jazz but it's still giving me the password screen... then I get a brain storm. I typed in "Mighty" Joe for the username during the first boot, so on a hunch, I changed it just to Joe because I figured maybe the quotes were invalid characters or something, and sure enough, no more password prompt. All I can say is wow, amazing what a little (a lot) trial and error will accomplish. Thanks all for listening, hopefully this will help out some other poor saps who happen to type in their nickname in quotes :p peace out guys

"Mighty" Joe Young

a couple ways to get rid of the screen:
1. If you only have 1 user, go into your Network Neighborhood properties & add a client called "Microsoft Home Networking Client" or some jazz like that.. That should get rid of it, unless you have multiple users in Control Pannel/Users

2. Download & install TweakUI for your OS.. then go into it (Control Pannel/TweakUI) and in the tap "Networking" fill in the auto-login information.

Try this

1) Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2) Double-click Passwords.

3) On the User Profiles tab, click "All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop", and then click OK.

Restart the computer when you are prompted to.

Back