• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I know this is KINDOF off subject, but I need help to get visitors to my website.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I know this is KINDOF off subject, but I need help to get visitors to my website.

Hi, i looked and looked for an add most appropreite for this question, because I needed help, and badley. I currentley have a one page website about crucial memory. I am going to expand it to an electronics review webpage later though. It will have reviews for a bunch of electronic stuff, but anyway, right now my problem is traffic, I don't know how the heck to get traffic to my website! Right now my site may be crappy, but that isn't why I'm not getting visitors, it's because I don't know how to promote it. I have had it posted for almost a week now and have had a total of about 5 visitors! My counter is on 1600 but only because I set it to that :cry: I would like to personally ask the owner of overclockers.com how this site got so big, and how it got all the visitors it gets. I also want to ask any other sucsesfull webmaster here that same question. If anyone has ANY helpfull hints at all, then please let me know. Thx :)

I have used Addme they didn't work :( thanks though for the suggestion :) I have submitted my website to search engions, but the problem is my rank isn't very good, so it stays WAY back there in the 100thth page and the 30,000th site. NOBODY goes that far, most people stop looking after the first couple of webpages. I have heard that there is a secreat to get alot of visitors, and that it is so simple that everyone actually overlooks it because they are thinking of too complicated ideas that won't work. Thanks for any and all help everyone!

1. Put proper metatags in the header of your page. Don't over do it, too much can kill you quicker than too little.

2. Submit to search engines.

3. Submit your reviews to other popular sites like here, HardOCP, AnandTech, Tom's Hardware, LittleWhiteDog.....

But if your going to submit to these sites you better be on the ball, be able to handle the traffic, and have all your crap in one pile, because if they don't like your site, you'll die a slow painful death.

you could put your page as your homepage in your profile and that wouldnt be considerd advertising since it is your homepage

Gerst240 said:
you could put your page as your homepage in your profile and that wouldnt be considerd advertising since it is your homepage

Yeah I guess I could, but it isn't really much of a site right now, all it is right now is a small site with crucial memory links. I am really trying to get visitors because I want to make money. I need money to help my parents, and I can't get a job now because I am going on vacation in a few weeks, so it would be pointless untill I come back. I really don't know what the best type of webpage to setup to make money. Maybe a review site? But if I do that, I can't write that many reviews, especially since I don't have the money to buy the stuff TOO review :( Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm so confused :confused:

Cart Before The Horse

I mean what I'm going to say with the greatest of respect, please understand that.

I feel that you are putting the cart before the horse. You are not going to be successful getting hits on the promise of what you envision your site will become. The "surfing public" is a fast fingered bunch and even if you were the #1 listing in every major search engine, when people hit your site and find one page and a promise you've lost them. Good solid design and reliable fresh content are what are going to get you hits and more importantly return hits. I don't remember or recommend a site that I stumble on once if it doesn't grab me, but a site like OverClockers gets word of mouth from me to anyone who will listen.

Build the site of your dreams, then have the toughness to stick with it through the slow times, and once you have your showplace site up and running then promote the living daylights out of it to anyone and anywhere you can.

Best of Luck in your endevor!

SkyHook

Re: Cart Before The Horse

SkyHook said:
I mean what I'm going to say with the greatest of respect, please understand that.

I feel that you are putting the cart before the horse. You are not going to be successful getting hits on the promise of what you envision your site will become. The "surfing public" is a fast fingered bunch and even if you were the #1 listing in every major search engine, when people hit your site and find one page and a promise you've lost them. Good solid design and reliable fresh content are what are going to get you hits and more importantly return hits. I don't remember or recommend a site that I stumble on once if it doesn't grab me, but a site like OverClockers gets word of mouth from me to anyone who will listen.

Build the site of your dreams, then have the toughness to stick with it through the slow times, and once you have your showplace site up and running then promote the living daylights out of it to anyone and anywhere you can.

Best of Luck in your endevor!

SkyHook

Yeah I know :( but I'm not even getting any hits in the first place. I don't want to spend alot of time building a great website only to find that noone will come to it, so I have to figure out a way to get hits first, then once I know how, I will build a review site on something. But what I don't know. I think maybe I would build a review site on consumer electronics, but what brands? Sony is deffinitley one I want to include, but are there any that I shouldn't include? And also, they all have SO many products, so how can I review them if I don't have the money to buy them? Should I go to the stores, and play with them there, take notes, then come back and write a review? This seams logical to me, but are there better answers? What kindof a site would you want to see?

Matthew1001 said:

He cannot post a link that would be advertising which is against forum rules.

Try:
AddMe submits your website to different search engines.http://www.addme.com/

It wouldn't be advertising if he used the correct wording...Thats the only way this OC'ers got so big. "WORD OF MOUTH" and the only way for "WORD OF MOUTH" can work is by letting "PEOPLE" know that this site is out there for public use.

Hell post it in the "WANTED" section of the Classifieds. EX: "WANTED: SOMEONE TO HELP SPREAD THE NEWS ABOUT MY WEBSITE" that way you are legally advertising in the correct section.

USE THE SYSTEM TO BEAT THE SYSTEM

If you're looking for things to review, look at your signature.

Try to innovate as well. So far, I have yet to see any "long term" motherboard tests. I'd like to see some good 3-4 torture tests and high use scenarios. Any board these days can be stable for a few days, but after a few weeks, thats when you might see something develop.

As the saying goes, if you build it, they will come.

Do a search on google for site submission stuff. Look for hints, tips, etc. I think there are some sites out here devoted to giving tips for getting your site ranked better in searches.

Some engines search text in articles as well, so if you don't have articles, that's hurting you.

If you build it, and stick with it, they will come.

Mike

Back