• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gainward ti4200 and gigabyte mobo problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

staerlor

Registered
I'm going mad here :eek:. I am experiencing lots of crashes with a gainward gf4 ti4200 "Ultra/650XP Golden Sample" connected to a Gigabyte GA-7VRX (VIA KT333). It has to be some sort of compatibility problem between the two. Does anyone know of any similar problem with this setup or any similar setup? The relevant system specs are:

Gigabyte GA-7VRX MOBO
Athlon XP1900+
Gainward Geforce4 ti 4200 "Ultra/650XP Golden Sample"
512 MB Acer PC2700
80 GB Maxtor ATA133

I'm really stuck here. I have tried the ti4200 on other systems including a kt266a and a kt133a which both work fine with the card. I have also tried a geforce 256 and a Radeon 8500 on the Gigabyte mobo, which also works fine. The problems only occur (or much more frequently) when the FSB is 133/266. I've tested the memory and tried other PC2700 modules all with the same result. I've tried three power supplies including one Enermax 431 W. I've tried using a multitude of mobo and gfx drivers and I have updated the bios. I also tried every imaginable bios setting available (almost :)). I have also tried two other cpus, one duron 800 which works good with 100 mhz fsb and one XP 1800+ which gives the same crashes as with the 1900+.

I am very gratefull for any reply that will ched any light on this.

the card should be able to handle the FSB speed. you might have gotten a bad card.

can you send it back?

maybe there is an issue with this card and this chipset. :confused:

HMM.. GigaByte boards has compatability problems with GF4 cardd, the problem is known- i would suggest you ti RMA your boards\gfx card for another one.. :rolleyes:

Hm, I suspected this. I think I will RMA the gigabyte board since it has a generic problem with gf4 ti. As I mentioned above the gainward ti4200 works fine on all other mobos I have tried it on.

Thx :)

Anyone else with a point of view?

I will just add that my freind had the same problem with his 7VRXP and MSI TI4600 :mad:

I've read hundreds of posts from ppl with problems with gf4 on this gigabyte board. I have also read about a possible fix. The mobo might have problems adjusting the voltage to the power hungry cpu and gfx card. Try raising vcore to +7.5% and agp voltage to 1.7 V.

Back