PDA

View Full Version : water cooling disaster (part II)

NoKtEm
08-17-02, 01:51 AM
well I finnally decided to just scrap the video card water block idea, so i plugged everything in .. and ... nothing

so i guess the water did damage the computer somehow :-/ guess me and my bad luck ...

I also plugged in my geforce 2 in another computer to see if water had the best of that too and it seemed to work fine... although every once in awhile it would flash a screen like this

http://www.bootleglists.com/lists/noktem/screen.jpg

so there's to show y'all... water cooling ain't all fun and games

Garrett_thief2
08-17-02, 01:55 AM
If you are going to water cool you must take precautions to prevent leaks.....or don't water cool

NoKtEm
08-17-02, 01:58 AM
oh wasn't any really leaks, barbs just fell off ... i dunno, i guess i should start figuring out what's not working and what is

Tiger
08-17-02, 02:06 AM
Firstly try using a hair dryer at a distance of about 6" for 5 mins to get any water out. Then I would suggest spraying the back surface of the card with one of those sprays used for cars. In the UK the brand name is WD40. But its normally used to exclude water. You may see areas on the surface that have a grey deposit on them. Spraying with this stuff and then wiping off with a soft cloth will remove this. It happened to me with drops of condensation dripping down from the water block.

Garrett_thief2
08-17-02, 02:08 AM
How do barbs "fall off"?

NoKtEm
08-17-02, 02:10 AM
i think everything is dried out already, it's been awhile and i even washed everything out with alcohol, i'll go bring everything to my friends house and test my cpu and mobo i guess... heh if it's the cpu maybe i could just get a XP 1600+ =P

Iron Hawk
08-17-02, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by NoKtEm
i think everything is dried out already, it's been awhile and i even washed everything out with alcohol, i'll go bring everything to my friends house and test my cpu and mobo i guess... heh if it's the cpu maybe i could just get a XP 1600+ =P

Newegg.com has them for 56.99 free shipping.

Neville
08-17-02, 08:32 AM
Give the guy a break .... :)

You might wanna try using distilled water. I was careless enough to not test it and i had it spill onto my video card and 10/200 card and after dryig it it never worked straight away. I left them for 2 days and they both work fine now.

NoKtEm
08-17-02, 01:34 PM
my friend hooked me up with sme double de-ionized water =D Maybe it'll work better after i give them all a alcohol bath, hopefully.. heh

RnPgrosz
08-17-02, 04:59 PM
Don't feel too bad, I had a similar watercooling disaster. I was testing my loop out of the case and was attempting to move it into the case when disaster struck. The whole system basicly came apart and to make a long story short, my floor got very wet.:(

NoKtEm
08-17-02, 05:06 PM
how was your computer?

edit: i mean. .. haha did it work after everything dried out and stuff?

Rotary-Motion
08-17-02, 05:12 PM
uh......

Garfield
08-17-02, 05:15 PM
I'm about to build my own watercooling setup. You guys got me scared now :D. NoKtEm, didn't you run the setup for a couple of days before you actually placed it in the computer?

RnPgrosz
08-17-02, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by NoKtEm
how was your computer?

edit: i mean. .. haha did it work after everything dried out and stuff?

Well, luckly this happened outside of my case so nothing got ruined; I just had to fill and bleed the system again. I had been running the loop without any leaks for about a day, I tried to move it a few tubes came off=a lot of water on my floor. It was a real mess.

Garfield: Don't be discouraged, at first(when this happened) I thought watercooling was a waste of money and just a real pain but I have had it working in my system for just about a week and I think its great!!! :D I would never go back to air.:cool:

NoKtEm
08-17-02, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Garfield
I'm about to build my own watercooling setup. You guys got me scared now :D. NoKtEm, didn't you run the setup for a couple of days before you actually placed it in the computer?

yea but my gemini video block barb kept falling off, untill i put on some silicone... so when i was putting it all in my comp the tubes twisted it a little bit and the barb just fell right off :-/ The d-tek guy actually said i should try putting on some marine goop and it'll never move again, so i guess i'll try that =)

ah well.. even if my hardware is really permanantly screwed, it was all good =) never going back to air either

Garrett_thief2
08-17-02, 09:56 PM
I still don't see how barbs "fall off"........are they not screwed in?What am i missing??

NoKtEm
08-18-02, 12:14 AM
oh sorry, i didn't see ur response ..

yea.. just like ur reading it.. they just fall off. it was screwed in but the plastic is kinda cheap and the threads are really small.. they just kinda ... fall off if u twist it a bit (like a couple mm's, not even a quarter of a turn)...

Tamasha_Strife
08-19-02, 12:24 PM
Moral of the story: don't go for those blocks with cheap platic barbs. Only buy blocks with metal barbs.

DKYoda
08-19-02, 12:48 PM
or all copper with soldered on tops and barbs !!! hehe

Tamasha_Strife
08-19-02, 01:01 PM
Yup that's what I meant :D

IMHO going for a clear top is just begging for trouble.

NoKtEm
08-19-02, 02:37 PM
hey quick question, I guess i decided not to go with a RMA cuz it'll just be too much work :-/ heh, so i'll try to get the barbs in right and seal it up completely... would a better idea be to

1. buy some copper barbs and seal it up with silicone (because the silicone doesn't stick onto the plastic)

2. stick with the plastic barbs and get some marine goop

3. buy some copper barbs and seal it up with marine goop

4. RMA it

and would i Use teflon tape too?

wymjym
08-19-02, 03:22 PM
call Peter and tell him your problem, ask him if he has a copper topped unit (yet) if he does see if he'll trade you + the difference in cost..if yess to all of the above...do that as it appears you need a bullet proof solution.
wj

Tamasha_Strife
08-19-02, 04:29 PM
I agree with wymjym. Fixing it would not be an option if it were my block. It already failed once and chances are it will fail again. Besides the effort it will take you to seal the block will be pretty much the same as the effort it will take to RMA it.