• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Back - Well I tried baking the GTX260, but now it is completely dead!

I would like to take this back!

I gave the card away for the cooler (just for the cost of shipping) and when it arrived he plugged it in and it now works! (PenguinsPal has it)

I removed all sinks and put it upside down in the oven raised on some foil, left it at 200C for around 7-8 minutes and then let it cool. Then put it back together with new paste etc. Didn't work when I tried but it is happy last I checked!

That wouldn't ever cross my mind >.< But no point in crying over spilled milk or gpu's for that matter, Awesome concept and thanks for the info*

Artas1984, there's this great thing, Google... Search Fahrenheit to Celsius converter.

385 Fahrenheit is about 196.11111111111111 Celsius :)

Last edited:
Fahrenheit is human.

I'd imagine a lot of us use it around these parts.

Of course! LOL! I was mocking the thread starter, because he thinks that all the people use United States "approved" measure units...

What i was trying to say, that this forum is not only for United Stated citizens... If fact, the rest of the world use Celsius as the standard temperature measure unit, and i would say that this is unfair to use US units in an international forum...

The thread starter should humbly edit his post and include Celsius besides Fa-whatever...

Of course! LOL! I was mocking the thread starter, because he thinks that all the people use United States "approved" measure units...

What i was trying to say, that this forum is not only for United Stated citizens... If fact, the rest of the world use Celsius as the standard temperature measure unit, and i would say that this is unfair to use US units in an international forum...

The thread starter should humbly edit his post and include Celsius besides Fa-whatever...

Not too likely to happen since they haven't logged in for 5+ months.

Oh, and the original recommended temp is 200°C/385°F, for a rough translation.

Well, it's not surprising he posted it only in Fahrenheit to be honest, since most people generally post only in units they're used to.

Last edited:
This discussion is cool and all, but can we get this thread back on track please? If you want to discuss it further, please create a new thread.

Lappy's 9800M died a few weeks back. Popped it in the oven last week, and it's been working fine ever since.

Hrm, Dad's old Toshiba laptop went bad, quite possibly video, might have to open that up & see if it's feasible to toss the whole MB in the oven...

Yet another success story!! 8800GTS 320mb (with ROHS sticker) disassembled and then baked for 7mins 45 seconds at 200c on my electric preheated oven. Put it back together and worked perfectly from the outset!

Thanks to this thread, my aging 3870x2 will hopefully last me until the next time I see a 6950 2gb on sale!

I started getting artifacts and vertical lines last night, even at post. I was going to junk the card today and order something from Newegg with money I didn't want to spend right now, when I happened to find this thread while Googling my symptoms. :eh?: After stripping the card down, I threw it in the oven for 7.5 minutes right AFTER I took the pizza out that I made for dinner. Anyway, long story short, I'm back up and running again, at least for now! :clap:

Last edited:
Just like to report in that this trick saved my 560GTX after I had a water leak in my cooling.:attn:

It almost saved my Sound Blaster Audigy2 also. However it stopped working shortly after It tried. I'll do the oven trick 1 more time on it and see if it won't come back for good also.:attn:

succesfully worked on my old gtx 7800 now i can build that data server without dishing out some cash for half decent card

I put into oven without aluminium foil and they were sparks. It burned some area in tv port though it looks fine. Was it necessary to put foil. Should I try it again? Chances? Is there any way to do it with electric Iron?

Last edited:
There shouldn't be sparks from putting metal into an oven. :eh?:

You didn't put it in a microwave oven, did you?

I put into oven without aluminium foil and they were sparks. It burned some area in tv port though it looks fine. Was it necessary to put foil. Should I try it again? Chances? Is there any way to do it with electric Iron?

There shouldn't be sparks from putting metal into an oven. :eh?:

You didn't put it in a microwave oven, did you?

Not sure if serious... Am I allowed to post that pic here?

Back