• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4770k IMC is Aida64 enough????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't tried anything above 5.0 for obvious reasons but have done some benches at 4.9 with the Hyperthreading off @ 1.46v probably close to 1.49 with LLC considered. I managed to run XTU bench @ 4.8 ( 8 threads) and 4500 cache actually gat some decent points. I was a bit surprised. I've done some more reading and these CPUs seem to be all over the map performance wise. Some are suggesting bad TIM and should de-lid but I don't think that's it just from my observations.
I'm actually running prime blend on my 4770k now, I want to see the difference between my "stable" 4.5 on aida which was 1.23. It failed, bsod, at 4.5 with 1.23 and 1.235. I had to lower the clocks to 4.4 because I was topping out at 96 with 1.235 Cpu V 4.5. I'm running 4.4 @ 1.23 now well shall see. It's been as high as 4.7 for benching but air just isn't going to cut it with these chips for high clocks, damn thing reminds me of the 8350.

It seems as if I have a pretty good 4770k but only better cooling will tell, I thought the same with my 2500k because of my 5.3 Oc on air but as you know, that's all it has. I hate that it just stops there and nothing I do will get it past 5.3. I'm going to try it on the "good" water when we get some cold temps outside but I have a feeling it's not going to do more then 5.3.

Wow that voltage seems awful low for that heat. But this seems to be one of the Hazwell traits. Some are very hot at low volts. I just never thought that the ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 was that much better than a good air cooler but it handles that almost 1.4v barely, but it does.
I was at 1.27-.28v for full stability with 4200 cache and 2400 mem.

Wow that voltage seems awful low for that heat. But this seems to be one of the Hazwell traits. Some are very hot at low volts. I just never thought that the ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 was that much better than a good air cooler but it handles that almost 1.4v barely, but it does.
I was at 1.27-.28v for full stability with 4200 cache and 2400 mem.
What Cpu Clock? As far as heat IDK but this Megahalems is a pretty darn good heatsink, that said I was topping out at high 70's using aida @ 1.23 Cpu V. Using blend @ 1.23 now 1 hr in at 4.4 97 is my top....good lord. If I pass with 1.23 I'm going to see if I can lower the Cpu V core then work on the Cache and what I can do with my 1866 Snipers.

That was my 4.5G clock. I thought you had that monster on there, that's what surprised me about your temps. I was hitting the high 90s at 1.39v with 4.6 P95. That's a huge difference which I don't think could be attributited to "just" the cooling.

That was my 4.5G clock. I thought you had that monster on there, that's what surprised me about your temps. I was hitting the high 90s at 1.39v with 4.6 P95. That's a huge difference which I don't think could be attributited to "just" the cooling.
I guess well see when I get better cooling on it?!?!?! Maybe I'll just hook the loop on it and run it with ambient water and see what the temps are like.

I guess well see when I get better cooling on it?!?!?! Maybe I'll just hook the loop on it and run it with ambient water and see what the temps are like.

I guess that would be a true test!

Well I made it through 2 hours of Blend, 98c max temp, Oh My! Going to see how far I can lower the Cpu V and pass 2 hours now.

Did not read through the whole thread. My guess is Aida64 is not worth sh.t for system stability: my 3770k runs for 24hrs+ on [email protected]/1.32v while it can't pass P95 below 1.36v (well, used to before it degraded, lol!)

Did not read through the whole thread. My guess is Aida64 is not worth sh.t for system stability: my 3770k runs for 24hrs+ on [email protected]/1.32v while it can't pass P95 below 1.36v (well, used to before it degraded, lol!)
More or less that's what Johan found for his 4770k, I did as well. I was able to do Aida at 4.5 with 1.23 Cpu V. I couldn't find a stable Oc on Prime blend due to heat. So far I've been able to do 2 hours Prime at 4.4 with 1.23 Cpu V. I'm working on lowering it now and will post back.

That's my sentiment exactly Manu, I had 4.7 at 1.32v with Aida for 6.5hrs, P95 would just crash and so would F@H that was my first indication. Now I have 4.5 @ 1.28v stable with P95 cna run 4.6 but it's getting on the hot side. Right now I'm just surprised at the apparent difference in CPUs heat/clocking wise.

Heat is not an issue with my setup. The IB is de-lidded, and barely sees 90°C under [email protected]/1.43v.

[email protected]/1.36 was 79°C max and Aida64 75°C (IIRC).

The best stability test is Cinebench, lol! when it passes 5 runs in a row, I am sure it will pass 24hrs of P95, lol!

The best stability test is Cinebench, lol! when it passes 5 runs in a row, I am sure it will pass 24hrs of P95, lol!

That's the first time I've heard of that. Maybe the AMD is a much different animal, cause I could run Cinebench11.5 with the 9370 at 5.077G with 1.36v, that took 1.536v for P95 blend. I might have to try that one out.

If you where Binning CPU's them Cinebench is a good way to test CPU's and you can step test them to different Vcore.

AJ.

You won't check memory/IMC with Cinebench. For quick stability test HyperPi is better.
Also for me AIDA is as good as Prime95. All depends how high you OC , at what voltages and additional settings. If you test full stability then you should never base on 1 test anyway.
For benching there is no such thing as stability , it passes test or not and I generally don't care about long stability tests as for 24/7 any higher clock is waste of electricity. In games you barely see any difference above 4-4.2GHz what can run at stock voltages.

You won't check memory/IMC with Cinebench. For quick stability test HyperPi is better.
Also for me AIDA is as good as Prime95. All depends how high you OC , at what voltages and additional settings. If you test full stability then you should never base on 1 test anyway.
For benching there is no such thing as stability , it passes test or not and I generally don't care about long stability tests as for 24/7 any higher clock is waste of electricity. In games you barely see any difference above 4-4.2GHz what can run at stock voltages.

I have to agree with the benching and gaming statements Woomack. My problem arose when I wanted to Fold at Home. That has been my failsafe stability test. P95 blend for a few hours then F@H for a few days to see how it holds up. Video work requires a fairly high level of stability for everything to work flawlessly and the added speed is noticeable in actual time. Last thing I need is to spend a few hours working on something and then it doesn't work in the player or crash 10 minutes from the finish.

So I was able to get 4.4 stable with 1.225 Cpu V 2 hours on Air. I also hooked the big water up to it, everything at ambient approx 70 f. Think the 4770k needs better cooling then Air?
Air 20 minutes prime
4.4,1.225,air,20min.PNG
H2O 20 minutes prime
4770k,20min prime,4.4@1.225,h2o.PNG

You're definately going to need to put that one on water Manny, she's a hottie. Did you try for a higher clock after you got her wet??

I tried dropping the volts from the auto setting @4.6 and it was a no go. Maybe if I really spent some time with it but I did run P95 for 4 hrs on auto and noticed that the majority of the time it runs at 1.376v, there are a couple of tests that really push it and it would jup up to 1.392v. It actuall ran cooler on auto that when I tried to do the same manually. I'm almost certain now that this machine is smarter on it's own :rofl:

4.6 auto.JPG

Johan, can you re-run that and let it go for the full 20 minutes, the 80k test "what ever it's called" was the one really kicking the heat up. I was maxed out at 62c through the 4k test. I didn't push it higher, getting the evil eye if you know what I mean. I may get a chance to push it a lil today.

Johan, can you re-run that and let it go for the full 20 minutes, the 80k test "what ever it's called" was the one really kicking the heat up. I was maxed out at 62c through the 4k test. I didn't push it higher, getting the evil eye if you know what I mean. I may get a chance to push it a lil today.

What are you looking for Mr.Clean?? That SS was after 4 hours with P95 still running.

What are you looking for Mr.Clean?? That SS was after 4 hours with P95 still running.
Um yeah I knew that.....:bang head, or I just read the last two digits and saw 11 minutes. :p Ok I'll post up a higher oc when I get a chance.

Back