• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buys EVGA geforce gtx 550 ti 2gb 72mhz superclock edition HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In this case I would grab MSI Afterburner and give it a go.

Basically you just raise one thing at at time... core/shaders (they are connected), once you find the max, back it of 25Mhz or so, then push on the memory.

Just bought this card also

I also bought this card last week and am not really that impressed with the performance honestly I expected a little bit more yes I know that my system is not the best it is just a dual core still running Vista whitch is another question I have. What information would I need to know or programs to use to tweak out whats left of my outdated gamer? My system specs are as follows generally at least of what I know:

AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 processor 2.90 GHz
4.oo GB of Ram
32-bit Operating system
and of course the new Nvidia EvGA geforce GTX 550 Ti (specs are down below in the quote of DaGuillotine anyway I could use some max safe specs or at least a point in the general right direction I OC'ed my old GTX 9800 and the poor thing OD'ed so A little shifty bout tweaking out too much but also a little concerned that I spent more money than what this particular card is worth :) Also, on another debate I would like to hear a little more about lets say DSl and the effects of higher graohics settings on connectivity in relation to the FPS rate of play of games like SWTOR and BF3 thank you Overclockers any help will be greatly appreciated !!

guys i bought this card from bestbuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+...skuId=3628074&st=geforce gtx 550 ti&cp=1&lp=2

and the clocks are

core- 972

shader clock- 1944

mem- 2052

and the voltage is 1075

i wanted to know if theres anyway to boost this gpu even if i have to mess with voltage i really need the communitys help :attn:

What sort of performance were you expecting? I think it should be 60-70% faster than the 9800GTX, it has 192SPs versus 128 on the GTX. In BF3 I would think it should be able to handle a mixture of medium and high settings at 1920x1080 whilst keeping FPS around 50 (no AA). It isn't a high end card by any means.

You should grab MSI Afterburner and start overclocking the core clock and memory clock (ensuring that both are stable of course) - that should net you a boost. If it becomes unstable you can increase the voltage in the software too. I personally wouldn't go far above 1.16V, but if temperatures are still quite low then 1.2V should be ok.

No I know it wasnt going to be huge but I just really wanted advice on more Overclocking since I know there are easy as pie programs out there so you would recommend MSI afterburner over the evga precision?

Last edited:
Also I was hoping someone had done this already and knew what the highest safe to run settings I could push it too I have 4 fans normal size I also bought a fifth fan of regular size and have one of those bigger like 5 inch fans on the tower plenty of ventillation just dont wanna burn up a nearly 200 dollar card two weeks after purchase

Both are based on the actual same software, the only real difference is the interface. Both are very easy to use!

Also not all cards are exactly equal to one another - it is quite unlikely that your highest overclock on the card will be the same as someone else's. Once you download (either one works well) the software, just move the core slider upwards.

At first I would increase it by around 50MHz or so to make it quicker, but after that test it in a benchmark / intensive game (BF3 I find works well, also metro 2033 would be great, crysis 2 etc.). If it is stable then increase it by another 10MHz, then test, then increase again. Do this until it is unstable (will crash). Then as Earthdog said, just take off the last 1-2 changes (you can go back 10MHz but due to only testing it for ~5 minutes or so it could be unstable over 1 hour or so).

Do the same for the memory to find the highest overclock and that is all there is to it, it just takes a bit of time. Whilst doing it also try and keep your GPU temperature below 90C to be safe, giving some headroom for summer (or even lower if you prefer).

what about adjusting voltage from well say 1125mv as default to 1150?

Ok I downloaded evgA precision and despite the poor length of history I cant tell about my gaming with Bf3 I like the simplicity of it. I looked into the MSI Afterburner program but got no where trying to download it because quite frankly you get no where with downloading it from Guru3D considering all the other applications it wants top download instead I decided not to mess with it. The first thing I noticed is that the voltage I quoted in the beginning was not corect according to the Precision X program the voltage starts at 1125 mv not 1075mv.
It has ,of course got 972mHz on the core clock as it is "superclocked" from the factory messed with it some turning it up to a solid 1000 mHz and got up to around 60C but at the time I had not recieved your response to really know what safe temperatures were if only I had known these things before I prolly coulda just tweaked my old 9800 gt to suit me :) so anyway, I did not mess with voltage since I dont know what I am doing but if I understand you correctly you are saying bump the core clock an initial 50 Mhz and "benchmark" by running my BF3 stability coming from if I have a picture or if my computer screen goes out? then from there bump 25 MHz until I can force that to happen then bring it back down about 25-50 under the maximum? I think I understand that part and the pushing the memory up to its tweak out spot but what about this voltage deal it would probably have the most devastating effects on my temperature so if I get satisfactory results before ever coming close to 90C what kinda shelf life does that give my card I do play constantly BF3 SWTOR and WOW even still. Also on another note I really appreciate the advice you have given me this far I am a slow learner my wife tells me all the time but I try to understand what it is I am doing not just saying hmm lets turn this knob up and oh wait that one can go up also ya know?

Last edited:
Back