• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why does my ping straight up suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkFire55

Registered
Multiplayer games are no longer playable for me.
In kali, the servers have an AVERAGE ping of 950+-250.
Trying to connect to a server in half-life all of them have 1 red dot.
On a good day (like 3 months ago) i would have an average ping of 110 and on those days every now and then id have a lag spike where it jumps to 1000-2000-4000, eventually it would go away.
Then the lag spikes progressively started popping up more often.
Now im lucky if I can even play on a server.
The thing that bugs me the most is that webpages work fine.
I go to speedguide.net and click on their optimizer, everything is fine and dandy.
speedtest.com says I have an above average connection.
And If I go to the msdos prompt and type ping (server ip)
It returns pretty good values like an avg of 165.
But pinging through kali or the game itself, simply is unreal.
And the games are not playable.
Ive tried downloading the program memturbo II to see if that would help, it didnt.
Anybody have any suggestions?
I really dont want to drop my cable internet connection cause webpages load really fast compared to the old 56k modem days.

Try running a tracert to the server. Its similar to ping, but tells you the time on each hop that tha packet takes. If you get a couple high times in the first couple hops then its a problem with your local connection/isp. Also, is this in all games, or just some/one.

It could also be things like:
-You have too many running programs and it's thrashing your system
-Other people using your internet connection while playing? Family? (I know my family does..)
-Bad cable modem?
-bad connection to cable company?
-some idiot that uncapped their cable modem
-too many people/not enough bandwidth for neighborhood
-bad link along the way to servers

Try doing some bandwidth tests on your box and see what you come up with, if they are too low, call your ISP and complain.
www.dslreports.com

165 isn't a good ping for a DSL or cable connection..

those broadband connections you shouldn't see pings >90

my pings for games are always in the <60ms range

if its cable then the lines may be saturated in which case your SOL.
contact your ISP and ask them to test the line and find out what your line is trained at for bandwidth.. while they may say its up to whatever speed.. some of them still lock your cap and hope you don't notice

ugh im using charter pipeline, and according to dslreports, it straight up sucks.
oh well
my dad doesnt care cause he doesnt play games.
so i guess i am sol

try using the tweaks in their tweak section to see if you can get it to go any faster. chances are that your machine isn't optimised for it, and might appear to be going slower than it can.

I've been having the same problems of late. Almost the exact same pattern. Lag spikes that got more frequent until games are generally unplayable at all because I'm always lagging out. :-( The problem has existed, though not this bad, since I got my cable service. I finally got fed up and sent a certified letter, along with copies of my ping times, to the regional VP for Comcast Internet.

if you test below average for your cable company, call and complain is always a good solution (if you are a talkative person).. see how far up on the helpdesk management chain you can get to.. (i've seen contests..:rolleyes: )

insisting that they send a repairman to test the line (or to test the modem, if you rent your modem like i do:)) is another strategy

If you are not talkative, you can try asking really nicely.. personally, if you sound like a really nice person, and ask me really nicely, I don't mind doing things for you... sometimes being nice goes a long way. (I know I do a better job when people aren't demanding, but instead asking nicely :) )

Yea I can't stress this enough..

DO NOT BE A **** to the helpdesk... they can usually only send your information to the network ppl. Cause they don't have access.. and if you are a pain in their rumps then they will treat your request appropriatly.. as in let it take forever.

Just remember.. its not the level 1 techs job to setup your speeds, its out of their control and yelling at them gets you nowhere..

Just be polite and you will get what you are looking for.

Yeah. I've talked to level 2 techs, had techs come out, etc. They can't find a problem but admit that one exists. No response to my letter yet, but they just got it on Friday.

Lusankya said:
Yea I can't stress this enough..

DO NOT BE A **** to the helpdesk... they can usually only send your information to the network ppl. Cause they don't have access.. and if you are a pain in their rumps then they will treat your request appropriatly.. as in let it take forever.

Just remember.. its not the level 1 techs job to setup your speeds, its out of their control and yelling at them gets you nowhere..

Just be polite and you will get what you are looking for.

I completely agree with you. However, in the world we live in, nice guys finish last. The customer who complains and complains will get quicker service than the nice old granny who asks nicely. The nice old granny will get *better* service, but the complainer will get quicker service.

I know I don't like talking to the complainers, but unfortunately, since nobody likes to talk to them, their file gets pushed along faster to get them out of everyone's hair. Their file may get branded with a "spit in their burger" note, but it will be pushed along none the less. As for the granny, most everyone will try to do nice things, but it's easy to just put it in the pile with everyone else and go, since they don't call back every few hours complaining that nothing is getting done -- exceptions aren't made for normal people, just a-holes.

I've never heard of an advertising scheme where they ask you nicely once to buy their product, and never bother you again. They want you to buy it now, so they push their product in your face as much as possible, and as often as possible, until you break down and buy it.

Being nice in the world doesn't pay off. It does, however, make the helpdesk staff feel better at the end of the day, being able to forget about all the complainers, and know they've really helped one nice person.

Oh I have no qualms about complaining.. just complain nicely and don't be a arse to them.

And don't overdo it.. most ppl become lothed by helpdesks cause they DO keep bugging them when they have nothing new to say.

yes, the "regulars".. even the technical staff dispise them.. they are usually worse in person. "Hey, while you are here, can you do me a favor and spend half your day doing something that I didn't call you here for and is probably against the rules, but who follows the rules anyway?"

Back