• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Q8300 OC problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baby3ater666

Hey guys I'm a n00b to OC'ing and I recently scrapped my dell and put the Intel Core 2 Quad [email protected] onto an Asus P5Q3 with the Thermaltake 1V HSF. The case is an Antec 900 and my other specs are OCZ Gamexstream 700W PSU, VisionTek ATi Radeon HD 4870 x2, Creative SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, 6GB Dual DDR3 PC3-8500@1066MHZ, and the LG Blu-ray. I am running Windows 7 RC. Temperatures idle in the mid high 30's Celcius on stock no OC! When I ran Prime 95 and I OC'd my CPU to 2.9GHZ the temps hit the low 60's! The multiplier was 7.5x383. I can't even game with that overclock because it blue screens. Do I need a supplementary PSU? I am using the OC software that came with the motherboard and it controls the voltages manually, and yes I know I should be using the BIOS but I am not exactly literate with it yet! I had a Best Buy geek squad guy install my stuff but he didn't exactly install the fan on right because when I took it home the top two fasteners came undone!:eek: I fastened it back in but I'm wondering if that messed with the thermal paste and whatnot! I'm taking it back to get it checked out by them. Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!

30-60c sounds about normalish for temps. I would try to learn how to use the voltages in the bios by reading some of the guides and stuff instead of using some auto program. Those things never work.

Wow thanks man that guide really helped me out a lot! I put my CPU Voltage at 1.2 and my DRAM at 1.5 and everything else on auto and it's been working like a charm so far! I have been able to maintain a stable 3GHz when gaming. I took my 4870x2 back to stock speeds and fired up L4D and Wow! My framerates literally doubled! I can't believe how bad my cpu was bottlenecking my 4870x2! I just can't believe that my PSU is managing to power that OC and that foot sized GFX card! When my computer is running idle the temps are in the mid high 30's C. Maybe I won't need to upgrade on my ram after all!

u take your mutiplyer to 333mhz u can probally get it higher

for example me 333mhz speed with 2.0b setting runs my e8500 at 12.48 volts i know low vlot and speeds are 4.30 ghz

try it and see the dif

Back