• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Socket7 Sticky/FAQ [Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds like an AT board Walldow. There are lots of them on ebay, but it is hard to get one that isn't overpriced. Before you do that, can you determine what kind of board it is exactly? It may be capable of running the K6-2 at 400 MHz at least, maybe 500. The K6-2 has a 6X multiplier, set the board for 2, and it will mutiply the busspeed by 6 6x66=400. Many socket 7 boards had unofficial busspeeds of 75 and 83 MHz. See if the boards brand and model are printed on the board, and then do a Google search and see what you can find out.

yes i done a google search the first thing! and it came back that the board only suports 66mhz bus chips.

board: 586ITBD rev:B
chipset:I430TX

look it up!

is there any web sights that might have one for sale? i was hopeing to get one for around $30 or $40 bucks.

also on the board usualy there is a mutiplier and bus speed jumper diagram that tells you witch jumpers to conect to get the right multipliers and buss speed but i don't see a diagram anywhere on the board? so i don't know what jumpers to switch!

I was just at DFI's site, and you can download the manual in PDF format.
What I meant by unofficial is that the manufacturers usually don't tell you that it is capable of these busspeeds.
It looks like there is a setting for 2.0 volts, that's a little low for a K6-2, but it looks like the next setting is 2.8, which is dangerously high.
If I were you, I'd put the latest BIOS on it, set it to 2.0 volts, set the multiplier for 2, and see if it will run at 400 MHz. Then experiment with the jumpers, and see if you can get it to run faster.
You can try pricewatch for AT boards, put it is pretty hit and miss.

hey. Im finally getting around to doing someting with this pile of old hardware, and I'm wondering how fast of a k6 i can get running on this motherboard. It's part of an acer.. name of the mobo is V58LA. I found some specs here:
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/acer/mb/acv58la.htm
http://www.acer.com.my/ftp/pub/PCG/Desktop/Power/V58LA.htm
On the board it has jumpers for bus speed (66-83), and multiplier settings:
1.5/3.5
It came with pc66 sdram, and a pentium 233 mmx. On the settings for multiplier it has a section for intel/amd (the one above) and one for cyrix, so im assuming this supports the k6. I can get a k6-2 450 for free, as well as some sdram. Will it work with the 450 or should i try and find a k6-2+?

edit: if i do 4.5x83 that gets me about 375 mhz. If I set the mult to 2, will it give me 6x83? (~500)

Last edited:
well. it would appear that the motherboard in question is *dead*, so guess I'll be getting a GA-5AX or another super7 atx mobo off egay.

Bummer. Unless you really have your heart set on super 7, or you need something with an AGP slot, I'd go with one of the Asus AT boards, like an TX97-E, TXP4 etc. You can pick one of those up for less than $20.00 if you're patient, and run it at 500 MHz. It is tough to find a good super 7 for less than $40.00, and the difference in performance between 5x100 and 6x83 isn't that huge, especially for the difference in money. As stated above, the prices for most AT super 7 boards and for K6-3+ CPU's are far out of proprotion to the actual performance.

Well, for me an AT wouldnt work too well, since all of my AT cases are *VERY* propietary. A friend of mine might have a compaq with a k6-2 450, so maybe all is not lost.

question for repo man 11 or any one that might know!

repo man,

thanks for the info on the k6-2 boards. i have bought a ASUS: SPAX-M for a k6-2@500mhz. it is a hewlet packard.

http://66.216.68.88/details.htm?productid=9-1112

here's the deal the board supports 83mhz fsb. but the board jumpers for setting the fsb are not there? the area where the jumpers are supposed to go, is labled with the jumper numbers but no jumpers, just open solder circuts that are not connected. the diagram on the board shows the jumper numbers and wich ones to connect.

can i use a conductive pin to make connections to the correct jumper settings? the fsb is set now at 66mhz X 2(enabling the 6 multiplier) giving me 400mhz. i guess the 66mhz fsb is a default setting with no jumpers on the board? or am i missing somthing? or will i frie the board by connecting the solder pionts?

all the jumpers for setting voltage and multipliers are there and have been set system runs just need to know about setting the fsb.

thanks, walldow

if anyone else might knows please feel free to post!

Arrgh, OEM motherboards! If this were a standard Asus part, I'm sure the jumpers would be there. But the large computer companies use stripped down hardware.
If you are very careful, you can connect the jumpers the same way people unlock their CPU's, using conductive paint or maybe even a conductive pen.
You could also try a software program like softFSB. It uses a software program to change the setting of the PLL IC, which controls the setting of the FSB. It is freeware, but the downside is that it doesn't work on all motherboards, and you'd have to set the FSB everytime you boot the computer. There may be other software to do this that doesn't have this limitation, I don't know.
But I think that bridging the jumpers is your best bet.

yes, i have a conductive pen that i used to unlock a 2200+. i just whanted to make sure i wouldn't frie any thing since it is set at 66mhz fsb. is this a default setting because of the board not having jumpers?

thanks a bunch for the help!

and as for oem, i can't complain it was only $20. it is better than the other board she had.(my girlfriends rig)

I'm sure that 66 is default. It probably shipped with a P1 233, and older Intel chips used 66 MHz, all of the way up to the 366, 400 MHz range I believe. Starting with some of the last P1 200/233's Intel locked the chip multiplier, so the only way to overclock these chips was by raising the FSB.
Have fun, be careful, and good luck.

hello i have an a-open board and a k6-2 400. is steps up in .5 jumps clear to 5.5, the board uses 100mhz front side bus. i want to super cool the k6-2 just to see how far i can get it. i have it on 500 air cooled so if ucan help any please post.

To answer your question, your max multiplier will actually be 6, because they read the motherboards 2X as 6X. That would give you 600 MHz. But that would be an incredible overclock for a 400 MHz K6-2. Your board may also support busspeeds over 100 MHz, even if they aren't mentioned in the manual, so you might try experimenting with that.

hmm...

i have this compaq presario 7360. It has onboard ESS Allegro sound, onboard Trident blade 3d video (i use a pci vidcard though), and a k6-2 500 (regular, not +). Im trying to at least be able to play some games better with this pc (preferrably wolfenstein:et, anarchy online). I know the mobo is propietary and the number is 0648h i think. Well, i was thinking about trying to swap the CPU with a k6III of equal or better Mhz and upping the ram to maybe 256 or 512mbs. The videocard is a geforce4mx 420 PCI, would this kind of upgrade rellay be worth it?

Isn't the key factor voltage support? It just so happens that the particular ASUS m/b in the Tom's article has 'hidden' core voltage support as low as 2.0v. Most of the socket 7 m/b's I've run across are VX chipsets, with split rail 2.8 / 3.3v support at best. That's going to fry a K6-2, isn't it? Is there any detailed info on the voltage issue in particular for other socket 7 m/b's?

Most (but admittedly not all) Socket 7 boards have voltage settings at least as low as 2.6 volts. And normal K6-2's (not K6-2+'s) can handle 2.8 volts with good cooling.

But if you want to run a K6-2+ then you should be sure to buy a board that will have the proper voltage, and BIOS support.

Helgaiden said:
hmm...

i have this compaq presario 7360. It has onboard ESS Allegro sound, onboard Trident blade 3d video (i use a pci vidcard though), and a k6-2 500 (regular, not +). Im trying to at least be able to play some games better with this pc (preferrably wolfenstein:et, anarchy online). I know the mobo is propietary and the number is 0648h i think. Well, i was thinking about trying to swap the CPU with a k6III of equal or better Mhz and upping the ram to maybe 256 or 512mbs. The videocard is a geforce4mx 420 PCI, would this kind of upgrade rellay be worth it?

I wasn't able to find any info in this motherboard. So a CPU upgrade would be a crapshoot.

If you were able to get a K6-3 for cheap, then it would be worth it.

But my hunch is that for the trouble, you'd be better off with virtually any Socket A motherboard. A Duron 750 will smoke a K6-3, and can be obtained much more easily.

does anyone know if i can combine a 550 k62+ or a 500 k62 with a triton tx (those are the closest things i can find to a model number) or a i will p55xb2

Back