• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copper and brass?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

humdinger

I am considering making a waterblock but what I'ld like to know is if it would be ok to use a copper base and a brass top? Would there be any risk of battery effect/increased corrosion or would it be basically the same as an all copper block?

Mixing metals is bad! I wouldn't do it if you don't have to.

Ever seen a Dodge Omni, or a Plymoth Horizon? Ever seen one with a bumper?! They mixed metals between the bumper alum and post steel. (over kill, i know)

I was just wondering because I thought copper and brass were practically the same; also it seems quite a few manufacturers seem to use brass fittings in their waterblocks

Actually mixing brass and copper is fine... they are LIKE metals and will not corrode one another easily. Heatercore's are made of copper and brass. A brass top should be fine.

nikhsub1 said:
Actually mixing brass and copper is fine... they are LIKE metals and will not corrode one another easily. Heatercore's are made of copper and brass. A brass top should be fine.
Steal my whole response will ya. Why I aughta.....

I mean, what he said.

Well, to be pedantic, and to carry on eobard and nikhsub1's post, and also draw on aesik's post, mixing copper and brass will be fine (I made my first block out of copper with a brass top). If you look at copper / brass in combination in a block, you'll find that the surface layer of zinc in the brass might dissolve into solution through galvanic action, but that just leaves the copper in the brass, so you're back to copper / copper as far as the metals in contact with the water are concerned. As a side note, the best terminal metals to use in a dry cell battery are copper and zinc - they just use carbon instead of copper as it's lighter and cheaper. Well there you go, hope I haven't rained on anyones parade there...

Bilal said:
how bout for blocks, can i usse brass for a water block?

Bilal,

Please read the first post and the question that was asked there.

Also, I told you via PM that personal links are not allowed in your sig, and yet it is still there.

well, the first post talks about mixing metals. Would ONLY brass be sufficient with water cooling? sorry about the link thing, i didnt notice the private messages.

Bilal said:
well, the first post talks about mixing metals. Would ONLY brass be sufficient with water cooling? sorry about the link thing, i didnt notice the private messages.
Well, you can mix silver with copper/brass too, again like metals. Aluminum is bad unless it is anodized. Really you want to stick with all copper/brass if you can.

Bilal said:
someone once told me tha tbrass is bad for cooling, becuase it absorbs heat. Is this true?
Brass' thermal properties are not great I forget the number on the Wm/k scale but i think it is around 193 where copper is around 398. Higher the better.

SSS lists the thermal properties of just about anything and everything that exists in the universe in the fifth post, first page of this thread here.

Man it's nice to have the search back.

Back