• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Condensation: When it will and won't happen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Jayhawk

I've seen debates about this, often in regards to using peltiers or putting computer parts in a refrigerator, or even whether to have an A/C unit blow air into the computer. Here are some basic rules to know when you're safe, and when you might be sorry.

Case 1: Cold air, cold surface.
Condensation is rather unlikely here, since cold air doesn't hold very much water. The only way it might happen is if the surface is colder than the air and the air is at high relative humidity.

Case 2: Warm air, warm surface.
Condensation is again unlikely, since a warm surface typically does not cause condensation.

Case 3: Cold air, warm surface.
Condensation will not happen. Cold air doesn't hold near as much air as warm air. When the air hits the surface, its temperature increases and so does its carrying capacity, meaning that it could potentially have the opposite effect. If the surface is wet, it will become dry in this scenario. A computer in a refrigerator would have this situation.

Case 4: Warm air, cold surface.
Condensation is very likely here. As mentioned above, warm air holds more water than cold air. When it hits the cold surface, its temperature decreases, as does its carrying capacity. If the change is great enough, condensation will occur. A computer with a peltier unit would have this situation.

Hope this helped somebody. :)

you're absolutely right mr man. so let me state it again

CONDENSATION WILL ONLY HAPPEN WHEN WARM AIR HITS A COLD SURFACE, PROVIDING THE COLDER SURFACE IS BELOW THE DEW POINT

never at any other time will condensation occur.

that is all

:)

r0ckstarbob said:
you're absolutely right mr man. so let me state it again

CONDENSATION WILL ONLY HAPPEN WHEN WARM AIR HITS A COLD SURFACE, PROVIDING THE COLDER SURFACE IS BELOW THE DEW POINT

never at any other time will condensation occur.

that is all

:)
I'm not sure I would have said it quite the way you did, but thanks for the support. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back