• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec P182 side window w/ pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmclaurin

Registered
Guys,

Lacking the requisite skills/confidence to cut my own window in the side panel of my brand new Antec P182 case, I found a pre-made window for the P180B over at performance-pcs.com. Knowing that the side panels of the P180B and P182 share the exact same dimensions (although different color schemes), I decided to go ahead and pick one up for my P182. I thought the black color of the P180B would complement the gun metal grey finish of the P182 quite nicely, and so far I must say I'm pretty pleased with it.

I noticed that performance-pcs.com sells a customized P182 with the side window already cut out, but I had already purchased my P182 from elsewhere, so that didn't do me any good. I asked them if they would sell me one of the P182 windows by itself, but they told me that Antec wasn't selling the P182 panels separately, so they could only sell complete P182 cases, not individual side panels. But for whatever reason, the P180B panels are available separately. I ultimately decided that a "mix and match" approach wouldn't be all that bad, and again, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Anyway, here are a few pic's, so you can judge for yourself. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos--the lighting in my unfinished basement is partly to blame, but it's mostly the photographer I'm afraid.

p951917668.jpg

p789904183.jpg

p702278862.jpg

never understood the reason why anyone would need a window on their computer case its not like there is anything to look at like it has moving parts other than fans but if you are amazed by fans with lights then I got something to show you lol

but if you need to see inside then this is a good method of how to do it

that looks pretty good, but I think that it spoils the whole slekness (sp?) feel to the case. Is it any louder ?

I don't notice even a tiny bit of difference in noise, but I've got a lot of fans in there, so it's not exactly quiet to begin with. If I had it configured to be ultra quiet, perhaps you would notice a tiny difference, but I honestly don't think it would be much.

In terms of sleekness, yeah, I kinda agree, but I'm kinda like a deer in headlights with this thing...I just sit there and stare at it sometimes. I'm entranced by the lights...LOL. Maybe it's because it's my first build, and I just like being able to see all that stuff in there...the fruit of my labor...LOL.

I also thought that the window would make it louder. On my p182, the side panels are really thick (padding) so removing that should make it less insulated ?

I also thought that the window would make it louder. On my p182, the side panels are really thick (padding) so removing that should make it less insulated ?

Yes, it seems like it should make it a bit louder. But, in all honesty, I don't notice a difference. I just tried putting the original side panel (with insulation) back on, and listened to it for a while. Then, after a few minutes, I quickly switched back to the windowed panel, and I really don't notice a difference. Maybe it's placebo, because maybe that's just what I want to believe since I just spent money on the window. But trying to be as objective as possible, I don't notice a difference. But again, my PC is not exactly quiet to begin with. Perhaps if your P182 is setup to be ultra quiet, you would notice the difference a bit more. ??

Yeh I made my computer ultra quiet coz it sits in my room 24/7. I still probably wouldn't notice a difference. When yoyu changed the stock fans what did you do with the fan controller on the back ?

Yeh I made my computer ultra quiet coz it sits in my room 24/7. I still probably wouldn't notice a difference. When yoyu changed the stock fans what did you do with the fan controller on the back ?

It's still there and still used. I replaced the stock fans with Antec Tri-Cool LED's. They have the same little 3-way switch as the stock fans, and they fit perfectly in the fan controller just like the stock fans.

They actually did my P182 Window on my panel for $70 plus $10 to ship. Not that great of a deal considering the pirce you got for the whole deal , but the color matches. The second pic is with my old 3870 card. I have a 9600gt now.

Attachments

• IMG_0054_6_1.JPG
    IMG_0054_6_1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 6,470
  • IMG_0050_1.JPG
    IMG_0050_1.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 4,537
Does that come with the case or is it something seperate? I'm buying this case SOON and would like to have that :-D

nice mod, I'd do it to mine but all the light coming out of it at night wouldn't let me sleep (my pc is in my bedroom)

Back