• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will xp drivers work on 2000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FatCamel

someone gave me an old hp pc and it only has 128mb of ram. So I decided to put my win2000 on it but I can't find any 200 drivers for it. So my question is will XP drivers work on win 2000 or should I download the ME drivers and use those?

I highly doubt ME drivers would work. If you can't find 2kpro drivers, XP is your best bet.

They might work.. there's no guarantee of course however. In Windows XP a decent amount of changes in the underlying structure of Windows occurred. XP drivers are your best bet however.

Since a lot of drivers are for 2000/xp they are clearly your best option.

XP Drivers will work in 2000 generally speaking.

Windows ME network drivers will work as well since NDIS 5.0 was shared between 2000 and ME.

When i try to open any of the drivers I get this:

error.jpg

You will be required to do a manual driver installation.

One of the file dates seem to in fact be for Windows 2000.

I tried to do a manual install and that didn't work either. I tried installing xp and the 128mb of pc100 ram just would let it run fast enough and everything kept crashing so I am going to try 2000 again.

What is the exact hardware that you can't find the drivers for? I notice your picture shows S3 driver setup, and I know S3 still has working W2k drivers available.

Also, do you have SP4 installed? I've run across some things that will work on W2k but only if you have SP4.

Well the big problem was I wasn't exactly sure what hardware it was but I finally found the drivers after hours of searching the web. I just downloaded every driver for the machine and tried one at a time. So I now have it working.

Thank you all for the help.

Back