• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PartedMagic Locked my HDDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

OK so I am building a new system (see sig) and decided to keep my drives. Before I transplanted them in the new system I performed a secure erase on the SSD (OCZ Vertex 2 100GB) and the two HDDs (Seagate 7200.12 1TB) using PartedMagic 6.1. Everything seemed to go smoothly and as instructed.

I used the two SATA6G ports for the DVD drive and SSD in AHCI mode and put the two HDDs on the ICH10R ports. Loaded up windows on the SSD and went to configure the RAID and found the drives to be LOCKED and I'm beng asked for a password that I did not set.... In the instructions it says that a password of "NULL" will be set but this does not seem to work.

LockedHarddrive.jpg

I tried to register with the http://forums.partedmagic.com/ but they have some kind of goofy java CAPTCHA at the bottom that is bugged and doesn't work for me.

Does anyone know how I can unlock these HDDs?

If I go and hit Ctrl+I from POST after enabling RAID in BIOS....

LockedHDD-2.jpg

See how it inidcates they are locked here too

and if I try to bypass it and create a volume....

LockedHDD-3.jpg

Try changing the controller mode from RAID to IDE, boot into Win7 and open the Disk Management utility. Create a Simple Volume (partition and format) on both HDDs, reboot to the BIOS and re-enable RAID. Then re-enter the RST ROM after POST, and check to see if the drives are still locked.

I set the controller back to IDE and it took like 5 minutes for the system to boot. When it booted up I went to the "Disk Management" under Storage and could see both drives as Unallocated disks. I tried to initialize them so that I could create a simple volume but it reported that "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." And obviously if I tried to just create a volume first it says "The operation cannot be completed because the disk is not initialized".

LockedHDD-4-1.jpg

Last edited:
When you right click the unallocated region of the HDD, then select New Simple Volume, you receive the same error?

I would probably download and run SeaTools for DOS, and run either the short / DST test or the long test / full scan on each drive, or even a full erase.

I had already tried Seatools for windows (not DOS yet) and it could not detect the drives... I'll give the DOS version a try. The partedmagic software cant see the drives anymore either but i can see them from the disk manager.... I also tried using Killdisk from a bootCD and it could not see the drives either...

I got a response from PartedMagic and there maybe a solution via a complex series of command line codes from a Terminal interface within the PM OS... Still working on it and will be sure to post a solution if and when I come to it. I know I previously said I could not 'see' the drives from PM but I can now... :confused:

Thanks for continuing to help on this one redduc. I'll keep ya posted.

OK so I was able to unlock the drives late last night...

I booted to the PartedMagic 6.1 OS from CD
Loaded Default settings
Clicked the Disk Icon in the bottom left corner where the Start Button ussually is
System Tools -->Erase Disk-->Internal--> Click continue

From here you will be shown a list of the drives connected to your system and next to each one is a 'name' i.e. sda, sdb, sdc etc... (Cancel at this point or you will start to execute Secure Erase)

Edit: You can also go to the LXTerminal Command Window and enter the following command to get a list of drives. Look for the Logical name ie /dev/sda
Code:
lshw -c disk

In my case the two HDD's were sda and sdb which I already knew were locked from the RST window

Next we need to determine the complete status of the drive.

Click on the monitor icon in the bottom tool bar. This will bring up the Terminal command window.

Type the following command and press enter

Code:
hdparm -I /dev/sda

This will return the status and info related to that drive. Under the 'Security' heading will be a short list of items that may or may not be flagged with a 'not' infront of them. In my case it looked like this:

Code:
       Supported
       Enabled
not    Frozen
not    Expired: security count

And repeat this for any other drives by changing the name in the command.

A text file with all of the other values can be out putted to the /root/ directory of the PM OS by typing the following command

Code:
hdparm -I /dev/sda | cat > /root/sda_info.txt

Once these files are generated you can use the 'File Manager' located in System Tools to view them. If you attach a usb drive you can copy the files to the drive but be sure to right click and unmount the usb drive before removing it or the data files will dissapear. These files can be helpful if further evaluation/work is needed on the drives beyond the next steps.

From this I could see that the drive is Locked but not Frozen which is good in a way. There are several ways to approach this and luckily the easiest way worked for me.

In the Terminal window type the following command:

Code:
hdparm --security-disable NULL /dev/sda

If sucsessful, it will return that the drives password is "". Repeat this for any other locked drives. At this point I exited the PartedMagic OS and found that the drives were in fact unlocked and fully functional.

If unsucsessfull.... You can attempt to perform the Secure Erase again with a determined password.

System Tools -->Erase Disk-->Internal--> Click continue

At this point replace 'NULL' with a simple password, something like 123 should be sufficient and click 'OK'

Click 'YES' to begin the Secure Erase. Note that there will be no status/progress bar while it is working. An SSD will Secure Erase almost instantly and a 1TB HDD can take around 168min.

When finished exit the program and try to enter the password from the Intel RST window.

If that did not work because the drive is Locked AND Frozen as indicated from hdparm -I....

First make sure the drive is not mounted. Then, with the PM OS system active, pull the power cable on the affected drive (you can leave data cable attached) wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Give it another 30 seconds and enter the following into the Terminal window to see if the drive is still Frozen.

Code:
hdparm -I /dev/sda

If you get a 'not' flag infront of Frozen then try the following command again:

Code:
hdparm --security-disable NULL /dev/sda

In these examples I used the drive named 'sda', but it can be whatever drive you want, change it accordingly. Be sure that the codes are typed exactly as shown or they wont work, you will just get a list of options.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
If your having that much trouble with Parted Magic, I'll stick with Partion Magic 8.0:) I have the Power Quest version, not the Norton version.

PM as in Partition Magic or Parted Magic? PartedMagic boots from CD, doesn't operate from the operating system

PartedMagic is actually very good software with a ton of options, they are not sure why a security lock was placed on thoes two drives in particular but are looking into it.

I used the software because it has a nice secure erase function that works with out having to change ports on mainboard, you can leave it in AHCI, and you can do multiple drives...

Its common for Gparted (is that the same thing as parted magic) to do this when Secure erasing the drive. The workaround for that particular function was to plug in the drive after POST. ;)

I know this is an older post, but I just spent HOURS with this very same problem, cursing Windows 8 and a host of other programs and companies. I just had to take the time to thank you King107s, for taking the time to post the solution you came about

*** UPDATE ***

If anyone has problems getting the partedmagic software to load after you have booted to the disk AND you are using an ATI video card do the following.

Once you have booted to the disk and the menue comes up hit the Tab button and then a space and type

blacklist=radeon

and then press enter. This should resolve the problem.

King107s, you're awesome! Thank you for that topic, you have no idea how helpful it was for me. I spent a year trying to bring my friends HDD back to live! :)
Once again, thank you.

Back