• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X4 955 OC Temps @ 4ghz Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EndemicTruth

Registered
I know there are plenty of threads on this but they all seem to have conflicting information... this is my first post here so go easy on me guys :D

So I am overclocking a new build, here is what I have so far:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4GHZ
Gigabyte 970A-UD3 AM3+
Gigabyte Windforce 6850 OC @ 950/1200
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB @ 1600mhz
Hitachi 1TB 6.0gb/s SATA
Antec EarthWatts EA-650
Antec 300 Illusion Case

My 955 @ 4ghz (1.425v) is idling at around 45C and with Prime95 and Folding@home basic running I hit around 64-66C (With a chrome browser and some other random stuff running.) Do these temps seem alright to you guys? I played BF3 last night, and also ran Prime95 while playing WoW and the setup seemed to be stable, just not sure if the 66C heavy load / 45C idle is high for this proc at 4ghz. It is the RB-C3 stepping btw.

Thanks for any input! :sn:

What cooling are you running as those temps are super high, you want to be around 55c load

Just the stock cooler right now. It seems to be a quality cooler that came with the proc so I figured why not. My case has 4 fans all set on low at the moment as well. Was thinking if the temps were hot that I might not have applied enough TIM to the proc, or that it has not fully burned in yet (Just finished the build on Friday).

That cooler is not up to the job I'm afraid. If you want to oc that chip you need to invest in better cooling, those load temps are scary high, i would clock it back down until you get new cooling or it won't last long at those temps.

Your temps are fine. I'd through in a better cooler (Hyper 212+) and call it a day. I've got 2 955 BE systems myself. I wouldn't be comfortable with temps above 60 deg C. You actually did pretty good with the stock cooler.

When it comes to TIM less is more.

Well that's depressing. :cry:

I had read that as long as it doesn't hit 70C under Prime95 that is an acceptable temp (50Cish when running BF3). How much more of a decrease in temp would I actually see from an aftermarket cooler do you think?

Edit: Thanks Cigar... that makes me feel a little better at least. I wish I had the money for an aftermarket cooler at the moment! If I can get away with 50-55Cish under gaming conditions though I think I might leave it at 4ghz for now... it's just such an attractive clock setting. :D

Your temps are fine. I'd through in a better cooler (Hyper 212+) and call it a day. I've got 2 955 BE systems myself. I wouldn't be comfortable with temps above 60 deg C. You actually did pretty good with the stock cooler.

When it comes to TIM less is more.

66c is fine !!!!!! I would be sh***ing myself running those temps daily, but each to there own.

Well the 66C was running Prime95 and Folding@home at the same time. I actually just reduced my voltage to 1.35v and I am running Prime95 @ 4ghz with 59C max temps... that seems pretty acceptable I think? :confused:

If it's stable at that temp then by all means go for it. For both of my 955 BE, 66 is too high for stability. By stability, I mean running P95 for at least 8 hours without any errors. Your particular chip is different and if it's stable at that temp and you're comfortable with it, then by all means go for it.

As for your reduce voltage settings, run a stability test. If it's stable at those settings, run with it.

Well that's depressing. :cry:

I had read that as long as it doesn't hit 70C under Prime95 that is an acceptable temp (50Cish when running BF3). How much more of a decrease in temp would I actually see from an aftermarket cooler do you think?

Edit: Thanks Cigar... that makes me feel a little better at least. I wish I had the money for an aftermarket cooler at the moment! If I can get away with 50-55Cish under gaming conditions though I think I might leave it at 4ghz for now... it's just such an attractive clock setting. :D

70 C is the max "safe" temp. But safe is not the same as "stable". Typically, overclocked AMDs start to become unstable when core temps begin to exceed mid 50s C. Notice I said "core" temps, not "CPU" temps.

WOW, 66C and its still running stable. God mine gets near 55 and its a reboot for me. I would def get an aftermarket cooler on that thing and get the temps down as you are probably shortening the life of chip at those temps. Mine takes a lot more voltage to get to 4.05 ghz but Im betting its because of my AM2+ board. I usually run around 48C with my H70 while its being prime tested. Good luck with the overclock and make sure ya read through Dolks Guide on the Phenom 2's. Its an excellent read.

Well final settings for now are my 955 clocking at 4027mhz @ 1.325V and posting 58Cish with Prime95 and Folding@home running simultaneously. When running BF3 I'm getting about 50-54C with a few other things running.

Side note, my 6850 is running at 940mhz/1260mhz (core/mem) clock and it hits about 52C (dunno if that is reasonable).

Thanks for the input!

If that's still stable @ 1.325v @ 4ghz you have got a really good chip and is a great result, make sure to prime it for a good few hours to test for stability as there's nothing nothing worse than a bsod half way through a session of BF3

I've got a similar setup and don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am also seeing higher coretemps in AMD overdrive, even with an Antec Kuhler 920.

In coretemp and Hwmonitor the core temps peaks out at 51-52c on max load in Prime95 but core temps in Amd overdrive shows 61-63C

What are you using to read your temps with and what is the the correct temp to go by for the AMD proc?

ASUS Radeon HD 6850 @ 968/1111 and 1,200 volt
Kingston DDR3 1333MHz@1600Mhz 8GB, CL9
Cooler Master GX 550W

I'm using AIDA64 to read temps and CPU-Z to watch voltages. Testing with Prime95 and OCCT. I ended up having to raise my vcore because my CPU started getting less stable (if that is possible) under 1.35V. I have it running Prime95 stable now at 1.425V @ 4GHz, with max load temp of 64C (is that bad?) and about 55ish under battlefield 3 conditions. :salute:

My .02

Under load no temp above 55c

When running P95 run NOTHING else, no browser, not f@h, nothing, just start it before you go to bed and let ti run for a few hours assuming temps are OK after the first 5 minutes and they have stabalized, a quick peak for 65 prolly wont hurt, prolonged temps ofr 65c WILL eventually...

With TIM use barely enough to get good coverage, more will not help

Get a hyper 212+, its 25 bucks and it'll drop temps significantly. Or if your feeling REALLY saucy get a noctua d14

Turn your case fans to high and consider your air flow through the case, could another combination of inlet and outlet yield better or more flow?

My 955 under P95 small FFT is 55c, when all your doing is gaming if your at 55 something is wrong....

Well I had read that the max safe load temp for the 955 was around 62C, and since I figure it will never hit that under gaming conditions or anything else except benchmarking... isn't that an acceptable temp? (55C gaming) :confused:

55c is typically seen as the max operating temp, at least on here, most people would say 62c is entierly too high...

Dolks Guid to OC Phenom II's

Specific post detailing heat limitations

Anyway back on to topic. Why give you all this information? Why create a background instead of saying that NO MATTER WHAT the Phenom II and Athlon II will not increase in speed after reaching 55C on loaded temperatures. Let me repeat that, all Phenom IIs and Athlon IIs will not increase their speed (overclock) and more once the loaded temperature on the cores reaches 55C. The understanding is all explained above, but here is the summation. Due to high amount of energy produced by the CPU, and the special blend of silicon used by AMD, the CPU will not be able to operate any higher than 55C or it will literally start to get into a range of extreme temperatures that could cause the CPU to catch fire.

If you find yourself stuck at some point while trying to overclock your CPU, take a look at the temperature and see where you are at. If you are close to that 55C sweet spot, you have gone too far, and the only way to go faster, is to decrease the temperature of the CPU itself.

The fact that you got yours to go to 4ghz on 1.35v is amazing in itself. What are your multi/bus settings to achieve that?

Just off the top of my head: with my Gigabye 970A-UD3 (Using the ...Award Bios? Can't remember) I just turned off auto voltage for the system, left everything else at stock/manual settings, put my VCore at 1.35, turned my multiplier up to 20, and put my ram on manual settings with stock timings. I also turned off CNQ and C1E. I left LLC on because it seems to give my voltage some room to breathe (not an expert here as you can tell). But it seems to work! Guess I'm lucky :shrug:

Back