• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Anyone have an aftermarket CPU cooler in an Antec 300 case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alternatively, what cpu coolers HAVE you been able to fit into your Antec 300s?

So far, I've at least come across people saying the 212+ and evo fit.

The evo is 159mm. Does anyone know if there's and extra 11mm?

How about you measure? look at the case specs at their website, most will tell you how much room you have for a cooler... then look at the cooler's specs... compare... think........answer! :)

Most 8"+ deep cases fit most huge coolers just fine. A side fan, depending where it is on the side can block it a bit.

Earthdog is right. Try to figure it out first, post your resaerch and concerns after you have exhuasted all possibilities if your still concerned.

Well, I didnt mean it like it sounds now that I am re-reading it, LOL! But there are resources out there that can help answer the question since days have gone by without a response. ;)

LOL at EarthDog's redaction :)

I apologize if it seemed like I was asking lazily. I was looking before and after posting and I indeed found the manufacturers' listed measurements. My question is really, how do those measurements relate to one another?

The width spec on the Antec 300 is 8.1" (~205mm). When I measure from the surface of my motherboard to the interior of the left side of the case, I get around 7" (~177mm).

The Thermalright Spirit 140 is spec'd at 170mm, so I would think that would fit, but does that measurement include the mounting brackets or other parts which might increase the height?

Because I'm dealing with such a small measurement (~7mm), I figured I wouldn't leave it up to chance and ask around first.

The tallest coolers I have seen reported to fit into the Antec 300 are:
prolimatech megahalems
CM v8
CM 212+/EVO

These are all 158-160mm, but people do say there's a "little bit more room" in the case.

So does anyone have experience with a larger cooler fitting in the 300?

Thanks again

Measure from the top of the CPU as that is where the heatsink will be sitting...not on the motherboard. Mounting wouldnt add anything to it as it has to sit on the CPU. ;)

I have a CoolerMaster Hyper 612S in my Antec 302 case. I think the dimensions of this case are the same as the dimensions of the Antec 300.

I think I read that the Three Hundred Two "supports cpu coolers up to 170mm". I can't find a similar statement about the first version (my 300). The listed dimensions are also different...
302: 9"
300: 8.1"

I'm about to shut down and measure and maybe even just get the 140 and cut a hole if I need to :) Already did it once with the hard drive bays in this case to fit the Asus DCII

Now I'm leaning toward the True 120. It's 160mm, so I know it'll fit and looks like it will have similar results to both the True 140 and the HR-02 Macho.

I almost bought an H100 at the last minute after finding a good deal and this mod, but the Thermalright coolers perform just about the same AND are quieter.

I really do like that mod idea. Maybe I'll do it anyway, even without the H100 space requirement :)

My measurements from my CPU to the inside of the case are right around 170mm, but it might be too close to risk...

Last edited:
It should fit. It's 170mm tall and the case is 8" wide. A 160mm tall cooler like the CM Hyper 212 evo will barely fit in a case 7.5" wide and .5" is greater than 10mm.

I'll be sure to post back since this is a fairly popular case and the Thermalright coolers are impressive. I'm surprised they're not more popular than the 212s, actually. They seem to have tested much better.

Received the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 today and installed it.

...drumroll...

Success!
fits.jpg

Looks like I have 1 or 2 extra millimeters to spare even! :D

I'll start another thread with cooling test results with this cooler once I get a chance to put it through the numbers. So far, however, it is very impressive.

With hardly any noticeable noise, my idle temps are down ~10 degrees to the low 20s. I haven't tested it beyond that, but I like the direction things are heading.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Any side-panel mounted fan would need to be removed if using the 140 in the vertical position.

Also, none of the RAM slots are blocked from use with this cooler (Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3). The 140 completely avoid the space above any of the slots.

Last edited:
I want a True 140 but I need another case to use it. I have a Xion Predator and my 212 EVO is just getting in there. Always wanted one of these though, very nice :thup:

Back