• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are the PGA478 and PPGA478 sockets compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EzekielStyles

Registered
I am getting mixed answers from google so I am hoping to get an answer from some more knowledgeable people here.

I am (hopefully) upgrading a laptop cpu. The cpu currently installed is the Intel® Celeron® M Processor 520 which, according to Intels website is the PPGA478 socket. I have a Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9300 that is, according to Intels website, the PGA478 socket.

There is not much concerning the difference between PPGA478 and PGA478 and I have found conflicting answers from google search. There is a slight physical difference in the cpu's.

20130811_134103.jpg

Can anybody tell me definitively whether they are compatible or not?

The qx9300 socket pga478, while mechanically, will fit in your socket ppga478 socket, won't work in your laptop. The pga478 socket is made for cpus ( mostly quads ) working at higher fsb frequencies and different voltages than socket ppga478.

If you already have the cpu, you can try-it, but I can guarantee you that it won't work.

Last edited:
Nah I'm not looking to spend money lol. I already have the qx9300 and just figured I'd swap em if they were compatible. Thanks for the info though I'll let my friend know in case she's interested in upgrading. First I have to fix the dreaded gpu issue though lol

Looking at the pin outs the 2 chips will not fit as the missing pins on 1 are vertical while the other is missing then horizontal. Just pointing that out from the picture.

Z

You are right, but the socket size is exactly the same, and the cpu will fit in the space provided. You are right that he wouldn't be able to lock the cpu in place.

Back