• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new SLI setup, but now the voice in my head is bugging me!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowbiz

Registered
So here is my new build:

Intel i7 5930k
ASUS Rampage V Extreme
64gb Corsair Dominator platinum DDR4(2666MHz)
Corsair ax1200i
250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD
3TB Seagate 7200rpm hdd
Swifttech h240x liquid cooler
3x GTX 970 Strix in SLI

But now I keep thinking in the back of my head, should I have went with 2 GTX 980's instead?!?

I could easily sell my 3x 970's to buy the 2 980's but I'm not sure!

Oh and btw my cpu has 40 PCIe lanes not 28.
So I don't get "shotty performance" like 3gpu setups on a 28 lane cpu.

But for absolute best performance, best benchmarks and best gaming,

Should I keep the 3 970 Strix or go for 2 980's???

I thought we went over this in your other thread already. Refer to that. ;)

If we didnt, if you have one monitor, unless it's 4k, one 980 is plenty. What monitor(s) do you have?

But best performance, even with the poor scaling, would be 3 970s.

Haha thanks! I know I had asked a similar question but when I was doing some research the other night I had read that the 980's were a good bit better than the 970's. But I had also got a reply that 3 cards in SLI have bad performance because anything over 2 can be "dodgy" but I wasn't sure if having a 40 lane vs 28 lane cpu would rectify that. But thank you!

On a side note if I wanted to do a review of a product for this website who would I want to contact to have it posted in the reviews section?

- - - Updated - - -

And could you explain what you meant with "even with poor scaling..." ?

The scaling you get with three cards is less than two. For example, you get say 70% increase from 1 to 2 cards, but maybe 50% more out of three. Diminishing returns and it's a hassle. The number of Pcie slots has no bearing on scaling with multiple gpus.

Again what monitor are you using that needs that many cards?

As far as a front page review, maybe let's see what you have in a thread before we obligate to put it up on the front page. Make sure your knowledge, testing, and writing is sound. :)

Don't hesitate to check out the many 980 and 970 reviews we have up there for ideas. :)

Back