• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BCLK adjustable on non "K" Intel CPUs (on some boards with BIOS update)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh its true. I saw this a few days ago (I think we have a thread already??). It's working on an overclocking board too. Seems with a modded bios it will work on most boards (?).

Last edited:
Methinks were gonna see a rush to the non-k cpus if word of this gets out ?

Perhaps. I personally wouldn't bother. It is a good way for some to save a bit of cash though.

Nick Shih (asrock) posted his results on air and ln2 with a 6320.

Edit: after thinking a bit more, I can see their allure... I wonder intel will stop this? I also wonder if tis will sway people from AMD as well... though amd has price on their side still, rigbt? I never looked at into chips outside of K serues.

Last edited:
Is this basically like turning the fsb up on a locked AMD? has Intel not allowed fsb tweaks before?
Correct.

Not in generations has BCLK been unlocked (fully) from intel, until now. Sandybridge and ivybridge as 5-8mhz, haswell had straps, but similare limits. Skylake architecture is different in that the other busses are not tied to bclk giving them that freedom.

Interesting. I will still go for the k version in my new build though. Maybe I'm getting lazy but I don't want to play with all the tweaks and settings on my new build like I did with my Phenom build to keep it stable at o/c when I used only fsb. Plus overclocking via fsb seems to he impacted by the parts of the pc ( motherboard, ram) more than when just using the multi so I won't have to worry about them as much. Neat to see it as an option though.

Interesting. I will still go for the k version in my new build though. Maybe I'm getting lazy but I don't want to play with all the tweaks and settings on my new build like I did with my Phenom build to keep it stable at o/c when I used only fsb. Plus overclocking via fsb seems to he impacted by the parts of the pc ( motherboard, ram) more than when just using the multi so I won't have to worry about them as much. Neat to see it as an option though.

That impact to NB/SB/RAM/etc isn't applicable to Skylake though, BCLK only controls the CPU now.

Still more then good enough to unintentionally push people away from AMD like ED said, even at stock 3.9ghz a 6600 is a massive boost from all FX in single thread. If I had to pick (at least for gaming) I wouldn't think twice in going for the 6600 if I really can overclock it, not expecting 1ghz on air but a nice 4.6ghz would be lovely :)

A good read. Ppl with 6xxx non k chips will be happy. Could be a ploy to turn ppl to the dark side of intel. Search your feelings, you know this to be true ;)

It is a flaw that's being exploited. Don't get used to it. Intel will find a way to lock that up shortly. ;)

Would be nice if it was possible to unlock OC in a simple way on all motherboards. So far it's only modified BIOS for ASRock OCF and "special" series of Supermicro boards. If they can make it with only BIOS changes then all can.

Probably Intel will lock it in some warranty agreements, the same as Nvidia and AMD made with graphics cards and now all have warranty stickers and/or locked voltages/OCP/OVP above some point. I doubt that Intel will be able to force hardware locks on current generation of motherboards, especially that a lot of boards were already released.

This will certainly get the attention of veteran AMD overclockers who have stayed with AMD because they enjoy the challenge of all the tweaking necessary to get the max out of the Phenoms and FX series CPUs.

Ordered a 6320 and have the new bios. Will give it try (hopefully) this weekend under water.

Now to figure out how the heck to get xp installed :/

I still can't find any board which is unlocking bclk other than ASRock OCF and Supermicro. ASUS and ASRock supposed to make BIOS updates but I have no idea if for all boards and when.

Now we see hwbot flooded by i3 results as all are counting to bump in global ranks spending $200+ on a CPUs for 4 benchmarks.

Back