• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

based on amazon reviews ordered the coolermaster 212 for i7-6700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goto35

Registered
what do you guys think? Building a pretty crazy computer (i7-6700k, crossfire 290x, samsung 950 m.2 sd)

And only spending $30 for my air cooled fan. Will slight overclocking be fine on it?

You'll get it to overclock some with the 212, I'm assuming you bought the EVO?
Just don't expect miracles and you'll be happy.

what do you guys think? Building a pretty crazy computer (i7-6700k, crossfire 290x, samsung 950 m.2 sd)

And only spending $30 for my air cooled fan. Will slight overclocking be fine on it?

I went with an existing NVidia 980, but basically just built the same thing, with the EVO. I'm running 4.5 at 1.32V with idle in the 30s, load in the 70s. I stopped at 4.5 not because of heat, but I sort of lost the silicon lottery on this 6700k - for 4.6 I have to jump to at least 1.4V, and 4.7 looks like it's about 1.45V.

Depending on the CPU, 4.5GHz sounds about right. The 6700K is a 4.2 GHz chip stock.

Yeah, I'm fine with it, although do get a little envious of the people reporting 4.8 on less than 1.4v. But as a practical matter, doubt I would notice the difference day to day.

I went with an existing NVidia 980, but basically just built the same thing, with the EVO. I'm running 4.5 at 1.32V with idle in the 30s, load in the 70s. I stopped at 4.5 not because of heat, but I sort of lost the silicon lottery on this 6700k - for 4.6 I have to jump to at least 1.4V, and 4.7 looks like it's about 1.45V.
What stress test do you use for 4.5GHz 70s with a 212 EVO?

Wow when I upgrade I'm going to save some money and go with 212 EVO, l wood like to run prime95 at 4.5GHz with that setup.:drool:

Which test in P95? Small FFT? Blend? Large FFT? They are significantly different. :)

Just default Blend. Was just wanting to heat up the system and see if it was going to error or crash, not trying to be particularly rigorous.

Wow when I upgrade I'm going to save some money and go with 212 EVO, l wood like to run prime95 at 4.5GHz with that setup.:drool:

I'm actually amazingly impressed with the 212 EVO (and the earlier version, as well.) I've got a Swiftech H220 sitting in the closet that bought me a couple C, but was noisier. And I've used TRUE Rev C's push/pull before that.

To be honest, I just bought a 212 for my previous build to get it up and running, while waiting for the Swiftech, and then switched them. But the pump failed, so had to jump back to the 212 while getting the H220 fixed, and then never bothered to put it back in.

While a great cooler for the money seems like you did ok.
In future I would look somewhere else for a review other than Amazon ...... :eh?:

Just default Blend. Was just wanting to heat up the system and see if it was going to error or crash, not trying to be particularly rigorous.
That is how I have always tested Default Blend, it is good to see that the 212 EVO does so well with the i7 6700k, most of the people that are frequently here won't even touch prime95.

I know the 212+ did fine with sandy bridge at 4.7GHz.

Last edited:
That makes sense on the temps. Small FFT will only test the CPU and it gets much warmer. ;)

Ok, so you got me curious. Just did a quick 10 minute run.

HWiNFO64 - max 79/73/79/73

HWMonitor and RealTemp - max 85/79/85/81.

Although I'm not able to get any faster under 1.4v, I think 4.5 at 1.32v is actually pretty nice!

You guys really should do a Small FFT test, most video editing/fold/seti software and some games do comparable temperatures.

Oh 4.5ghz 1.32v ? Not bad at all for a 4 core :) my bad thought that was still blend :bang head

Back