• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install windows 7 on ROG Maximus VIII ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goldtna

I have an Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger.
No CD/DVD drive.
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe (M.2) SSD.

So...

Problem #1:
It took me a long time to figure out how to install windows 7 via USB with this setup.
BIOS recognizes USB and SSD fine but after booting to Win7 install, it can't see the SSD.
Normally I would install drivers for the SSD via a second USB but it can't detect a second USB.
SOLUTION: I had to embed the Win7 install USB stick with USB drivers. This allowed the installer to see other USB ports and I was able to install the SSD drivers with a second USB stick and have Win7 get installed on that.

Problem #2:
Now that I have Win7 freshly installed, device manager says it doesn't recognize the USB controller or Ethernet controllers!!!
So now my problem is I need to install chipset drivers. However, I have no readable I/O device. Windows does not recognize USB controller (only legacy devices like KB/Mouse works ... sometimes) and doesn't recognize ethernet controller.

Am I totally screwed? After win7 installed, it can't recognize the only two I/O controllers I have that can load drivers into the OS...:bang head:bang head:bang head

Any ideas anyone?? I don't have access to a DVD ROM or else I would have tried a SATA DVD drive and burn the drivers to a blank DVD.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am using only USB 2.0 ports and USB 2.0 thumb drive.

My KB works on legacy or non-legacy. My mouse works only on legacy. The USB thumb drive does not work on legacy or non-legacy.

I'm tempted to just buy a copy of windows 10... even though I have a legit windows 7 but I can't do the upgrade without getting a proper internet connection on this machine....
Does anyone know if this website is legit?
http://product.key-downloader.com/w...2upCV-4uyz_VygHYymxNeFn8UVWCyiGi8_RoCbcvw_wcB

Seems like a good price for Windows 10

Slipstream the XHCI, USB3 and NVME drivers into a windows 7 installer and try again. It isn't hard and works fine.

Anyone know if this website is legit?

$60 for win 10 seems like a good deal.

http://product.key-downloader.com/w...2upCV-4uyz_VygHYymxNeFn8UVWCyiGi8_RoCbcvw_wcB

Given that i put in about 6 hours already and reinstalling and figure out slipstream will probably take me another 6 hours, I'm starting to think buying win 10 is a good deal.

On a second note, I learned that my MSDN win 7 is not eligible for the free upgrade to win 10.

You loose everything on usb3 which typically includes KB and mouse and the install media. Makes the install a little difficult.
which is why you install the xhci drivers, then install usb3.

That's how I did it... ;)

Last edited:
If the OP can get the board drivers to a USB drive, he should be able to unplug the KB and use that port to install from. I think that's what I did the first time on my Z170 Hero Now I just have the drivers slipped as cdawall suggested.

If the OP can get the board drivers to a USB drive, he should be able to unplug the KB and use that port to install from. I think that's what I did the first time on my Z170 Hero Now I just have the drivers slipped as cdawall suggested.

That didn't work :(

Have you tried the asrock link ? Comes with all drivers and whatnot in it for a proper install ?

AS I don't have this MB, I don't know what is going on with that MB, but I can say GET A DVD Drive :) They are cheap, I saw 1 for $22.99 USD, you can buy used for less.

is there a bios setting for legacy USB storage or something like that. U should be able to do it thru usb2 and we know that's working (KB and mouse work)

If you have access to another computer, you could manually copy the files to the hard drive and put it back in the case.

is there a bios setting for legacy USB storage or something like that. U should be able to do it thru usb2 and we know that's working (KB and mouse work)

Make the flash drive fat32 and it will boot UEFI just fine. You don't need legacy for anything. It is literally as simple as using nlite to slipstream the drivers. Have you tried to slipstream XHCI and usb 3.0 yet?

Back