• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

990fxa-ud5 r5 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karabambus

I bought this board thinking it was 990fxa-ud5 :bang head. Soon i found out that this board has issues with my cpu phenom 955 BE. I will copy paste my ticket that i have sent to gigabyte esupport: "I got following problems: 1. Changing multiplier does nothing; 2. Changing settings on multiplier from auto to stock clock (x16) requires increasing voltage by + 0.100 for successful boot while on my previous mobo i could even undervolt it and it would be stable at stock speed. Manual is missing section on advance voltage control. This is really frustrating, my previous mobo was trash but all bios setting worked out of the box. I bought this board thinking that it would allow me to OC my cpu and even checked cpu support list oh boy how was I wrong! I have tested this cpu on ma785gt and messed around with bios settings and everything worked, on this board I cant overclock, and changing settings results in boot cycles before post."

As stated this is definitely a board problem since this options worked fine on my previous mobo. I fixed boot cycle problems by resetting cmos and bios to factory settings. Even manual is incomplete and is missing some sections in bios. I have tried updating bios, currently on f2 version (haven't tried beta).

Just so i can be clear, changing multiplier from auto to stock (x16) requires increasing voltage while on my previous board i could even undervolt. Overclocking by changing multiplier does nothing (cpu stays at stock speed).

P.S. I made this account just so i can give people who plan to buy this mobo heads up, since google couldn't find problems that I have. DONT BUY THIS BOARD IF YOU HAVE DENEB CPU WITH UNLOCKED MULTIPLIER AND YOU WANT TO OC. Other issues might be on me, but it certainly doesn't work out of the box like my previous mobo.

UPDATE: I have tried all available bios updates except f1. Still trying to make manual settings stable, I can't figure out why it requires extra voltage when I set multiplier from auto to 16x which is stock setting (multiplier still does nothing when i try to add or subtract to stock multiplier).What surprises me is the Auto setting on multiplier and voltage are pretty good, when testing in prime95 cpu-z reads 1.3 v while stock for my cpu is 1.35 so i suspect that i just have to find right settings. Since manual has no section on advanced voltage regulation I don't know what LLC and PLL exactly do so that might be the problem with my quest for stock speed with stock voltage :D. It is a shame that auto settings are only compatible when other settings are set on auto, so its more a default setting in true sense of word.
I wish i could just downgrade to normal old school bios that I am used to, I can't believe that I was looking forward to all new options in modern BIOS (is it called UEFI?), now I know its crap.

Update2: Read my replays on this thread. Short list of updates: Got bios update, theres update for ud3 too!! Tried overclocking HELP ME GET MORE SPEED OR SAME SPEED WITH LESS JUICE!!!

Last edited:
I don't have these problems on my FX8320e. Looks like it's localized to the Phenoms. Have you tried different bios versions? Wait and see what gigabyte will say as far as their response. Let us know. Mine came with F3 and I upgraded to F4 at some point. I'll send another guy with a few Gigabyte boards a pm to see if we can help you out while waiting for support to get back to you.

I don't have these problems on my FX8320e. Looks like it's localized to the Phenoms. Have you tried different bios versions? Wait and see what gigabyte will say as far as their response. Let us know. Mine came with F3 and I upgraded to F4 at some point. I'll send another guy with a few Gigabyte boards a pm to see if we can help you out while waiting for support to get back to you.

I tried stock bios (nut sure what version), then f2, just now i upgraded to f4b and no luck.

I did tinker around with manually setting voltage and stock multiplier (even tried lowering it but no luck), and i need +0.100 and llc to extreme to get it to boot with stock clock which is ridiculous considering I had it overclocked on 3.4 with stock voltage and stable in prime95 on my previous board.

I can't find f3 on bios update page so just to be sure I am talking about "990fxa-ud5 r5" not "990fxa-ud5", it is not revision but a different board.

Last edited:
I have a PM out to another member who may be able to help. Also, let's wait and see what gigabyte says as well. I had a similar issue with my 955BE before I sold it, with another Gigabyte board (GA-970a-ud3p).

I have a PM out to another member who may be able to help. Also, let's wait and see what gigabyte says as well. I had a similar issue with my 955BE before I sold it, with another Gigabyte board (GA-970a-ud3p).

Thank you for help!

PS

I will make updates to my first post as i do some testing and change settings.

I’ve got a 990FXA UD5 Rev 3.0, board does the same thing as described in the OP with both 960T tried nor would it post either from a hard reset. Also had a problem with a 560 BE, board unlocked the extra cores but wouldn’t change the multiplier up or down after they were unlocked. All locked multiplier AM3 CPUs worked without problems except a Sempron 150 that wouldn’t post after a hard reset.

Last edited:
Only AM3 CPU I have is Phenom II 1090T, and it's in a GA-880GA-UD3H MB, My GA-990FXA-UD5 R5 has a FX-8350 Vishera in it.

Hey guys, I got replay from gigabyte and they have sent me link to download bios/uefi beta version, I Am currently at work so i will try it as soon as i come home! Thank you for help overclockers!

Dear Marin,

Thank you for contacting us. This can be related with known problem with Phenom II X4 series CPU's. We have new BIOS to clear this issue:

990FXAUD3R5.F3b

Regards,
GIGABYTE

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0H3m4pGV-DrS2NHS0h1TXFQa1U/view

Sweet give it a whirl. Hope it works out for you!

Edit: odd that this wasn't incorporated in the F4 bios. Odder is that my mobo came with that bios, but it isn't listed on their webpage...

I made a huge mistake! Wrong model, i sent that i have ud3 but i have ud5 -_- . Well i'll update when i get correct update.

I got the update for bios/uefi!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0H3m4pGV-DrV3o3bDM5NEpJMEE/view
Everything is working fine!

I did some overclocking and managed to get to 3.5 ghz 20 mins of prime 95 testing. Cpu cooler is NH C14S and i get 61 c occasionally it goes to 62 c which is my cpus tj max. I think i would get better temperatures if i reapplied thermal paste, i had little bit of trouble mounting the heatsink and i'm not sure if thermal paste is spread correctly. I raised nb frequency to 2200 and nb voltage by 0.25 which is smallest increment cause i would crash after 10 mins of prime without it (can nb run at 2200 without raising voltage??). Don't mind rpm reading it is wrong, i tried to raise it a little bit (advance setting in speedfan) but looking at hw monitor, it doesn't change anything and its false reading by speedfan (is there way to increse rpm of fan??, do ineed to connect it to pwm???). WIth 3.6 ghz at 1.4 voltage i get crashes.

I could get 3.4 ghz at 1.37 voltage on my previous motherboard but i didn't have proper cooling so i didn't try higher voltage. Considering this it's a shame I can't get it stable with 1.4 on 3.6 ghz. I think i might need to tweak llc and pll setting in voltage menu, but there's no section in manual on it so if you could help I would appreciate it, meanwhile i'll do some research on my own. Keep in mind it's phenom c2 and by my knowledge its not so good at OC as c3. Can it go to 3.8 with air, I'm not sure any input on this will be helpful. It's 6 years old so age might be problem too (does cpu lose its OC ability trough time????). Anyway here's screenshot on end of prime95 test. oc 3.5 ghz.jpg

I think i did tons of work with uploading this bios/uefi updates. So will it be too arrogant to ask you to help me overclock my cpu? If not please write any advice you can think off, and answer my questions mentioned in this post!

Last edited:
Not arrogant at all, K(shortening your name). I'd say hop over to the AMD CPU forum, review the sticky there for the Phenom overclocking. I'm glad you have it running and working for your board. I'm by no means an expert but if you don't get a reply with some advice, by this evening I'll see if I can draw some attention here, and take a look at where you are settings wise and see if I can give some advice as well :)

(is there way to increse rpm of fan??, do i need to connect it to pwm???).

Yes, goto the PC Health Status in your BIOS and disable CPU Fan Speed Control, this will run your fans at max speed for any fan plugged in the MB. I have both the UD5 & UD5 R5 and I use this on my MB's.

UD5R5fan.jpg

Last edited:
Back