• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD Ryzen Win7 ISO Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
With the AMD Ryzen platform only Windows10 will install out of the box. So if you want/need Windows7 you'll need to add the USB drivers to the install media since it's not possible to add them during the install process. For those who are unfamiliar with Creating a driver integrated .ISO I've put together a short guide to help you along. Most o the process is fairly straight forward but there are a couple of key areas I felt need some clarification.

What you'll need

NTLite newest beta right now is the one that works ver. 1.3.0.4944 https://www.ntlite.com/download/
Windows 7 ISO, expanded into files in a handy location.
AMD Ryzen USB hub drivers View attachment w7drivers.zip
UPDATE: the drivers needed for newer Ryzen (X570) can be found here https://www.win-raid.com/t4960f52-S...B-Controllers-of-new-AMD-Chipset-Systems.html

To start open up NTLite

load version.JPG

1. First step click the ADD button and navigate to your expanded Windows 7 files then select.
2. Select the version of Windows you want to use, I prefer Home Premium.
3. Either right click and select load or use the icon at the top. This will take a few minutes as it processes the info. When complete it should bring you to this next page with the options in the left pane.

selcect drivers.jpg

4. By clicking on drivers in the left pane you should be able to use the ADD button top left. Navigate to your driver folders. As you see I'm adding Intel USB3 and NVMe support to this disc. I had laready did a tril run with the AMD drivers so they're already present in the media.
5. Hit apply and this will bring you to the next page.

boot wim.JPG

Here is where the magic happens.
6. Select make .ISO you'll be prompted for a save location and name.
Expand Image process queue. Here depending on Windows version you need to make appropriate selections. Because I'm usinf Home Premium I need wim2
7 and 8. In the remove components and integrate drivers section make sure you have the install and boot wims selected in both sections for your OS. If you're unsure you can check them all it'll just slow the processing.
9. Process.

This will take some time depending on what you have done to the media. In the free version you'll need to hang around to keep the process going as it's not unattended.
When complete you should have a working Win7 ISO with the AMD USB drivers integrated ready for DVD or USB whichever you prefer

Once you have Windows7 up and running you can install the AMD driver package from here http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 7 - 64

Last edited:
Fun thing with Win7 iso editing. There is a file you can change I. The ISO that will allow you to select any version of Win7 to install (e.g. home premium, or profession, etc). You still need a valid license key for the install type (professional key for professional install) so it's totally legit, but it allows you to install ultimate on one machine (assuming you have the key for that version) and use the same installation media to install home premium on another machine (again, you need a key for that version)

There is Gigabyte Windows USB Installation Tool which just adds all you need to Win7 image in like 1 click:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool_am4.zip
I think it works on all motherboards as driver package is for AMD chipset.

Gee now that takes all the fun out of it doesn't it? This will still work with any needed drivers such as NVMe etc..

Fun thing with Win7 iso editing. There is a file you can change I. The ISO that will allow you to select any version of Win7 to install (e.g. home premium, or profession, etc). You still need a valid license key for the install type (professional key for professional install) so it's totally legit, but it allows you to install ultimate on one machine (assuming you have the key for that version) and use the same installation media to install home premium on another machine (again, you need a key for that version)

Pretty sure all retail DVD come with all versions. My media was for HP but I have made Pro installs with it before.

They do but they 'lock' the installer to HP or Ultimate without removing the file. Maybe it's only applicable to upgrade install media, or iso files downloaded from M$. IIRC correctly removing the file allows you to tell the installer which version to install.

Johan do you loose any important functionality with Win 7 on Ryzen? I am wanting to do a build soon and would prefer to stay on W7 but am willing to upgrade to 10 if theres anything important(other than DX12) id be missing.

Johan do you loose any important functionality with Win 7 on Ryzen? I am wanting to do a build soon and would prefer to stay on W7 but am willing to upgrade to 10 if theres anything important(other than DX12) id be missing.
I thought DX11 was only on 8/8.1 as well or did they end up back-porting it?

Not that I've noticed but I'm using it for benchmarks. Performance is on par with Win10 that I can tell you.

Recovery media made from an install done with such a disk claims that there is a version mismatch and to use a recovery disk from the appropriate version. WIN7 will reach EOL before I figure out a fix for that.

Johan, what made you think to use nlite (which is for XP)? Im very glad it works, because rt7 lite (or whatever the name is for the Win7 version) is kinda... Broken or something. As an honerable mention, DISM (included in Windows) can also add custom drivers. C6 has a thread that shows how to add all the rollups and fix the updater in the Microsoft subforum, and the same process can be extrapolated for custom drivers. Any OEM install disc is pretty much just the manufacturer drivers rolled into the regular install media in this way (AFAIK) .

Recovery media made from an install done with such a disk claims that there is a version mismatch and to use a recovery disk from the appropriate version. WIN7 will reach EOL before I figure out a fix for that.

Johan, what made you think to use nlite (which is for XP)? Im very glad it works, because rt7 lite (or whatever the name is for the Win7 version) is kinda... Broken or something. As an honerable mention, DISM (included in Windows) can also add custom drivers. C6 has a thread that shows how to add all the rollups and fix the updater in the Microsoft subforum, and the same process can be extrapolated for custom drivers. Any OEM install disc is pretty much just the manufacturer drivers rolled into the regular install media in this way (AFAIK) .
I never had any issues with it. Just delete the file name "ei.cfg" from the flash drive or extracted iso folder. Never failed me to date.

http://tweaks.com/windows/40135/install-any-edition-of-windows-7-from-any-windows-7-dvd/

I never had any issues with it. Just delete the file name "ei.cfg" from the flash drive or extracted iso folder. Never failed me to date.

http://tweaks.com/windows/40135/install-any-edition-of-windows-7-from-any-windows-7-dvd/
x32 or x64 disk only right? There are a couple more hoops to get all x32 and all x64 versions onto 1 disk. Sounds like I might have just wanted too much, because I think the x32/64 is where the mismatch is happening. Its still good info and thanks for the link. Im actually trying to inspect every set of instructions to find the problem, but there is very little variation no matter which instructions you use

x32 or x64 disk only right? There are a couple more hoops to get all x32 and all x64 versions onto 1 disk. Sounds like I might have just wanted too much, because I think the x32/64 is where the mismatch is happening. Its still good info and thanks for the link. Im actually trying to inspect every set of instructions to find the problem, but there is very little variation no matter which instructions you use
Ahhh, I've only ever bothered to put an x64 version on a flash drive.

Johan, what made you think to use nlite (which is for XP)? .

It's the newest beta version of NTLite not NLite.

I came across this thread while gathering info for a Ryzen/Win7 build and it definitely helped. Initially I couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing the final (image tasks) screen in NTLite but then realized that it was because the beta is slightly different than the most recent stable version. In addition to the usb drivers, I had to integrate the Win 7 nvme hotfix updates (KB2990941 and KB3087873) to the install & boot.wim's so that the install would find my nvme. I created a bootable (gpt/uefi) usb, loaded the modified iso and installed on the new machine.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and add my nvme experience. I've been up and running on Win7 for about a week and everything seems stable. :cheers:

I came across this thread while gathering info for a Ryzen/Win7 build and it definitely helped. Initially I couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing the final (image tasks) screen in NTLite but then realized that it was because the beta is slightly different than the most recent stable version. In addition to the usb drivers, I had to integrate the Win 7 nvme hotfix updates (KB2990941 and KB3087873) to the install & boot.wim's so that the install would find my nvme. I created a bootable (gpt/uefi) usb, loaded the modified iso and installed on the new machine.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and add my nvme experience. I've been up and running on Win7 for about a week and everything seems stable. :cheers:

Glad I could help

So I got the windows 7 iso to install on the ryzen x1700 but how do i download the ethernet adapter?

Last edited:
Most likely it'll be on your motherboard CD if not you'll have to download it to a thumb drive on a different PC from the motherboard or LAN makes site

Hi Guys! I hope it's ok me jumping on the end of this thread here.

I've been following through Johan's instructions the best I can but the disc I've ended up with hasn't worked (it goes through the "loading windows files" when I boot from the disc but the pc resets as soon as it reaches the next screen). The editing of ISO images is a bit beyond my usual technical knowledge so I'm not sure if/what I could have done wrong so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I tried to follow through the instructions again but when I got to loading the drivers into NTLite it gave me errors that the drivers already existed and as I was literally doing it "by numbers" I'm at a loss how to proceed on my own. Equally, if someone has an ISO image that's been edited that could be shared (if that's not against forum rules?) then that'd be absolutely stellar!

The processor is a Ryzen 5 1600 if that would be relevant at all.

Welcome to OCF RingletsOfDoom :welcome:

Most likely you're losing it at the last stage/image I posted. This is the part that inserts the driver into the install section of the Windows disc. Your media does have the drivers or the location already saved in your last session you just need to point to the correct version to insert them that's steps 7 and 8 Different versions of windows 7 are labelled differently like Pro VS home etc.. You just need to figure out the proper boot.wim selection

Thanks for the warm welcome Johan :)

So I followed through again and this time ticked all the .wim versions to try and make sure I got the right one (I loaded Win7 Ultimate at the start as that's the edition I'm intending to use and had only had that ticked on previous attempts), I encountered no errors during compiling but I'm still getting the same result when I boot from the disc on the new machine. I'm sure it's hard to work out where I may be going wrong remotely but any ideas? Here's a picture of the state I had set up immediately before I hit process.

ISO Editing 2.png

I'm sure I must just be messing up something obvious but I can't figure out what it might be :/

Back