• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! FastStone Capture program opening off screen from tray, not coming back.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

I have FastStone Capture software installed on my PC. It brings up a little tiny box on the screen that you can click to screen shot stuff easily, it is very useful. When you minimize the software it goes into the tray. After years of using it it suddenly has disappeared from my screen. When I click the icon in the tray you can see it zipping right side completely off screen. I cannot seem to bring it back. I have tried to close the app, reboot the computer, cascade windows, etc, but nothing seems to work. I would rather not uninstall it and reinstall it as I will lose all my settings, there must be a way to bring it back on screen, no?

It is no longer freeware.
I have a feeling it updated and your trial period has expired.

It is no longer freeware.
I have a feeling it updated and your trial period has expired.

I'm quite positive that didn't happen, the version I am using is from 2007. And the version number has not changed, and there is no where to update it within the software. I think I moved it off screen a little as it got annoying one day, and I just flung it to the side, and well, now, I cannot get it back on screen.

I use Greenshot, uses the existing PrtSc hotkey and adds a ton of functionality (i.e. auto-saving, auto-uploading to web, marquee selection, and more all user configurable)

Thanks both. Questions... Have either of used FastStone before? It is quite powerful, have many options to save and many options to print screen, like select, full screen, scroll, etc. Do these programs also have that function?

Any ideas why my Fast Stone is behaving like it is? I have used it on this PC for 3-4 years without issues, and then suddenly....

Thanks

Thanks both. Questions... Have either of used FastStone before? It is quite powerful, have many options to save and many options to print screen, like select, full screen, scroll, etc. Do these programs also have that function?

Any ideas why my Fast Stone is behaving like it is? I have used it on this PC for 3-4 years without issues, and then suddenly....

Thanks

Yes, Greenshot has all the functions you listed.
Short of an uninstall/reinstall of your software, I don't know of a fix.

I've used both greenshot and faststone. Capturing a webpage's scrolling window is what I demand and it works well in picpick. Just tried greenshot again and it has no scrolling window option (except for IE probably which I hardly ever use). PicPick is portable too so I never have to reinstall it ever. Greenshot works portably but the one feature I demand is non-existent. CeLaVe

I am assuming then habbajabba that picpick has all the features of greenshot? I also need the scrolling function.

Uninstall the program and reinstall it if it is still available for download. Or, roll back Windows to a date previous to the icon's disappearance.

Greenshot has almost no features whereas picpick does it all (it's not photoshop). The scrolling window feature works excellent btw.

If a window is off screen, Alt-Space > Move > and use arrow keys on keyboard should bring it back onto the screen.

Uninstalling and Re-installing may not solve the issue as it may leave behind configuration in the registry or a file that doesn't get deleted.

If you can't get it back on screen and you're really dead set on continuing to use it, a program like Display Fusion will allow you to move and re-arrange windows to your liking (especially useful when running more then 1 monitor). The trial should allow you to move windows around.

I use geek uninstaller. It finally received a cool icon. Super fast, portable, and a single exe. When you run it for the first time on a 64bit sys, it creates a 64bit exe in a temp folder and both then run. It tries to connect too. I move the 64bit to my portable location (overwriting essentially) renaming it, and then block it from updating. No more dual process updating nonsense. It also looks for extended files incl reg entries.

I had this happen to a client of mine - the little always-on-top window that lets you capture disappeared - it happened after computer was restored from a crash, and it's possible that the monitor configuration not exactly the same -
Since FSCapture remembers where that little window is placed, I'm assuming it was placing it somewhere that did not exist ( BTW - I'm using version 5.3 which is a free/non-trial enabled version).
I used Control Panel/Programs and Features, uninstalled the software, then re-installed it and everything is normal.

The little FS Window is not 'normal' - i.e., it does not have the menu that lets you move/resize, etc., so if it's placed somewhere that's invisible, it's not possible to correct it with tricks that one might otherwise use (including pressing alt-space, and M (for move) and using arrow keys).

I would imagine there has to be either a registry key or a file in the User/Appdata path that stores the coordinates, and if could find that and change, that may be another way to resolve the issue.

(I believe Faststone does not use Registry, rather uses the files fsc.db and TBSettings.db in the folder
[C:]\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\FastStone\FSC

I have found that if you delete the fsc.db file, it will be re-created at next run, and the Faststone capture always-on-top window will move to the default monitor in a convenient and visible location.

Back