• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Strix 1070 to 1070 ti mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jinxlinx

This is a 1070 Ti Asus Strix
ASUS-ROG-STRIX-GTX-1070-Ti-12.jpg
This is a 1070 Asus Strix
1070strix-11b.jpg
Excuse the heatsink braket

These two cards look so identical Ive verified the only differences at 2 capacitors and bios. Does anyone want to see if they really laser locked the 104... It looks like asus and manafacturers are predesigning these years in advance befor they have released specs or info on what needs to be modified to unlock additional cores they have them prepared not propriatary.(I dont think its locked on the chipset level) I think 1070 can easily be modified into 1070 ti - by opening the PCB lanes with capacitors and a bios flash. Anyones thoughts on this...

Last edited:
They are all laser cut/locked. All the pascals are laser cut/locked. Gone are the days that you could bios flash a lesser card to run as a high end card for basically pennies.

Not going to happen.

^^ What he said, Nvidia isn't as kind as AMD in that sense. AMD uses some SW lock on cores such as the Fury which I have and opened up the card to a FuryX level. This isn't going to happen with the 1070Ti

Ok maybe so still waiting to see laser cut information from vendor or manufacturer. So far they just apparently linearly cut the pcb a year in advance.

The 1070ti is a cut down 1080 , it is a different GPU vs the 1070

Perhaps to the "Reference" NVidia 1070 PCB to a 1080 but with the deviation of dd5x making them incompatible to flash or push a bios without RMA.

The STRIX PCB for a 1080 is not comparable to a 1070 or 1070 ti PCB.

I think you should do more than look at the cards.

The 104-200 and 104-300 have memory controllers for DDR5 and 104-400 obviously DDR5X.

Im not talking about the pcb I mean the GPU core its self if a cut down 1080 not a modded or changed 1070 . They cant add more shaders but they can take them away . yes the Ram is different ti vs 1080 but im just talking about the GPU

Im not talking about the pcb I mean the GPU core its self if a cut down 1080 not a modded or changed 1070 . They cant add more shaders but they can take them away . yes the Ram is different ti vs 1080 but im just talking about the GPU

How do they take the 32 bit bus from the 1080 ti and give it to the TITAN X on the Gp102. not going full circle but allot of the draw backs are on the Board. The manufacturer ?

Not that I was speaking from real knowledge but now I know for fact the 1080ti is simply missing one ram module bahaha.
GeForce_GTX_1080Ti_PCB_1488491310.jpg
NVIDIA-Titan-X_Official_PCB.jpg

Last edited:

He is correct. Its a castrated 1080 core, not a beefed up 1070. However, I slightly disagree with nebulous just a tiny bit, days of hack and flash aren't 100% over. Little over a year ago, I successfully modded a 4gb gtx 680 to a 770 to run sli with another 770. Moved id resisters and flash with compatible bios similar to quadro hack. But, and a big but, those 2 card had the same core... 770 was essentially a rebadge 680 and I did it solely to satisfy my irritation with with Nvidia driver/sli bs. Afaik, different core means laser cut hw locked with Nvidia. Last card I recall not laser cut from Nvidia was the 7900 gto to gtx mod.

20180125_190426.jpg
Well I had to try, phone died so I lost allot of project pictures... What a pain getting those caps off of a super micro am2 motherboard. The first one is mounted in the pic. Ok so I didn't see any improvement in power delivery. I checked Aide64 and CPUZ nothing different. Went to MSI Afterburner nothing for overhead on overclock and compared some pass marks scores none beat previous records of my own. I don't think it affected the GPU in anyway. Pulled CAPS back off solder pumped up the mistake and at least I still have a 1070 STRIX.

He is correct. Its a castrated 1080 core, not a beefed up 1070. However, I slightly disagree with nebulous just a tiny bit, days of hack and flash aren't 100% over. Little over a year ago, I successfully modded a 4gb gtx 680 to a 770 to run sli with another 770. Moved id resisters and flash with compatible bios similar to quadro hack. But, and a big but, those 2 card had the same core... 770 was essentially a rebadge 680 and I did it solely to satisfy my irritation with with Nvidia driver/sli bs. Afaik, different core means laser cut hw locked with Nvidia. Last card I recall not laser cut from Nvidia was the 7900 gto to gtx mod.

I think after Wikipedia and researching 680 to 770 mod. I'm going to get involved flashing a (GF108) 440Gt to a GT730, GT630. Not to hijack my own thread we cant unlock "cores" has direct X 12 been unlocked on an DX11 card. A mod for an API could be significant in benchmarks running DX 12 :)

did you do the liquid metal shunt mod?
I had to on my asus 1070 dual or that thing was power throttling

did you do the liquid metal shunt mod?
I had to on my asus 1070 dual or that thing was power throttling

I know the OC Strix can enable 20% extra voltage. I doubt it needs it I've never used it except benching were it does meet a power limit. I haven't noticed irregular/inconsistent frames . I am going to research it I've seen it on the reference PCB.

Since this thread is all about modding thought ide throw my force of reason disclaimer ...

Even though I support overclocking for benching. It ruins longevity. Most marginal improvements are driver based or in game configurations for (long term use). Exploring the graphical settings and limitations of software is going to net performance all the same. Such as modifying a .cfg to a preset that isn't available. I have seen allot of voltage mods on GPU's and there volatile. Overclocking is a last step and for enthusiast.

well my 1070 dual was power limiting without overclocking,the voltage slider in afterburner did nothing for it either,the shunt mod I saw by debauer made a big difference for my 1070 and saw a massive jump in performance when overclocking,before i couldn't even OC as it made no difference.

Did you raise the power limit bar, yorkie? At stock, I have seen them come close or hit 100%, but you need to raise that to keep going (though its still a limit).

hi
yes I did,and its watercooled too so temps never go above 45c and 24 at idle,whenever I was gaming or benching using timespy it would hit the powerlimit and throttle,i reckon I saw an easy 20% improvement with the shunt mod,maybe its the way the cheaper 1070 dual is I don't know.

IMG_20180208_140928681_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I can see many things that are different between the 1070 and the 1070ti boards, it's not just 2 caps, at all, a lot more that you missed and also, back of the card would be very important if you would ever consider doing such to compare to find all things that are not equal for example. 1070strix-11b.jpg

It's also a totally different DIE as was said earlier, 1070>1070Ti is not possible.

Back