• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations for my core 2 extreme project - HP Pavilion slimline s5-1014

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

storm-chaser

Disabled
Core 2 Quad QX6850 extreme project - HP Pavilion slimline

Another old machine gets a new lease on life. Since it has DDR3, I figured why not save it and have a little fun along the way. I'll probably sell it online once I've had my kicks.

Swapped in a spare 4GB kit of Corsair XMS3 memory - Ditched the old Pentium E5800. Right now I am running a Core 2 Duo E8400 but I want to go a step further and upgrade to a Core 2 Extreme.

I will be using ThrottleStop to overclock as this motherboard does not allow for BIOS/hardware overclocking.

So it's definitely getting an extreme CPU - I'm just not sure if I want to go all the way to a Quad core while I am at it. At first glance, it looks like the X6800 would be about right. Two cores, less heat, less power draw, more manageable long term.

Or on the quad core front, I was thinking the QX6800 or QX6850. These are both 130W processors so cooling is going to be a challenge, especially since the case is dimensionally very similar to an HTPC. Not like I can fit a hyper 212.

The X6800 can be had for $35 and the QX6850 for about $40. I'm just on the fence about this one.

I will also be upgrading from the weak integrated graphics to a small form factor PCI-E graphics card.

Any advice on what CPU I should choose for this rig? Pics to follow.

Last edited:
if the difference is only 5 bucks you may as well go with the qx6850. like you said tho finding a hsf that will cool well AND fit will be a challenge. goodluck! i enjoy reviving the oldies as well.

if the difference is only 5 bucks you may as well go with the qx6850. like you said tho finding a hsf that will cool well AND fit will be a challenge. goodluck! i enjoy reviving the oldies as well.

QX6850 it is! Hang tight for results. Gonna take a few weeks to get all the parts ordered. The CPU is not listed as a possible upgrade for this model, but i am going to go for it anyway. If I need to drop back to the X6800, I will.

EDIT: This rig will be getting an 80GB Intel 3500 Series SSD as well. She's gonna rip!

Last edited:
So I've ordered the QX6850 and I'm hoping to have it by mid next week. This is a used CPU I purchased on eBay for $40 shipped.

It's gonna be sick! Hang tight for results!

qx6850-original-intel-core-2-extreme-qx6850.jpg

A blast from the past. Yeah defiantly for the difference of just a few bucks would of gone with that one too.

If you want a better board I just moved a FS thread to sold because of lack of interest http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...nd-LGA-2066(price-drop)-motherboards-for-sale
That p5Q would do well for that CPU

Damn I like that board!

EDIT: Looks like that board has DDR3. Definitely interested! Very much interested. How much are you willing to take for it?

I can also trade if you are interested in any parts as well. What does LET mean when you listed that in the description?

Last edited:
So Thanks to Johan this is going to be a much more well rounded build. Going to be able to push the FSB to 1600Mhz and run DDR3 1600 in timings of 7-8-7-20. Who knows we may be able to push it even further. Will keep you guys updated. I may try for a small form factor and keep the original Slimline case. We shall see.

mono.jpg

I'm still not settled on my final product. Meaning I would like to do more with my HP Slimline s5-1014. I am currently researching my options for modification of the BIOS file itself. I would like to remove the blacklist of core 2 extreme processors from the BIOS file, allowing me to run my QX6850 with the aforementioned rig. On a related note, I am looking into bios modding for my Biostar A880GZ and I'm hoping to make available the setting for allowing changes to the base clock or FSB. This is the only option missing and would really make turn this board into the workhorse that I would like it to be. I will keep you guys updated. This is my first time wading into BIOS modding but I'm definitely excited. :)

Last edited:
can you post pictures of them other board in the slimline? normally a OEM PC like that may not support a quad core due to the fact it has either a 2phase or 4phase pwm. for a low overclock you can get away with a 4 phase but really you need more like 6-8 phase for core 2 quads. it has been a while but i dont recall there ever being a overclock-able MITX board back then. smallest one i remember for ocing worth suggesting is ASUS Maximus II GENE P45, even then its one of only 2, the 2nd one is 4 phase from DFI.

what model is the HP slimline?

can you post pictures of them other board in the slimline? normally a OEM PC like that may not support a quad core due to the fact it has either a 2phase or 4phase pwm. for a low overclock you can get away with a 4 phase but really you need more like 6-8 phase for core 2 quads. it has been a while but i dont recall there ever being a overclock-able MITX board back then. smallest one i remember for ocing worth suggesting is ASUS Maximus II GENE P45, even then its one of only 2, the 2nd one is 4 phase from DFI.

what model is the HP slimline?
HP Slimline S5-1014. I've attached a mobo pic I found on the internet.

CaptureSlimline.PNG

The Q9550 and Q9560 (95W) are supported per the manufacturer web site:
CaptureHPSlimline processors.PNG

In terms of the overclock-ability I know I don't have much left in the margins (and nor does the CPU as it's just a bumped up Q6600 anyway). I'll be happy with a 3.0Ghz quad core (QX6850). This is going to be more of an undervolted/underclocked project to find out if I can in fact run the QX CPU within this small forum factor PC. In testing, the system will POST with the QX6850 installed, however, it promptly states the CPU is not supported and after 5 seconds the computer shuts itself down.

As far as the power delivery system goes, I know I will be in the red. The QX6850 is a 120W piece, however, I think with the right voltage adjustments in throttleStop I can bring that down to 100-110 watts. Factor in speedstep and ThrottleStop, and I think we will have the ability to run this CPU without too much strain taken by the VRMs.

I am doing this just for fun. I already have a couple rigs as my primary systems. I have other upgrades I want to do as well, such as a low form factor PCI-E GPU and Intel 80GB solid state drive. I'm also curious to see if I could theoretically change the memory speed. Factory speed is DDR3 1066 and I'd like to see if we can bump that up to 1333 with a BIOS mod. Although I might be dreaming.

yea no, it wont work even with voltage adjustments, it has nothing to do with that. it has to do with being able to provide enough current to the cpu and as it is from the pic of the motherboard its 3 phase. another thing holding you back is the chipset in question if it were a P35/P45 i would say try it but is a G41. now im really not suprised the QX doesnt work, since it also has something to do with the chipset, im not exactly sure what. i would stick to a G0 Q6600 with a 1333fsb mod and use the 6 multi(2ghz) if thats what your after, other choice is 1066fsb and 6x(1.6ghz).

if you want a cool running quad core then consider either the Q9450S or Q9550S, 65watt. then force the 6x multi and get even lower TDP then using a 95watt tdp cpu.

look, it sounds like your more after a fight now cause someone told you it wont work. some of us have been around and still remember what works and doesnt. if you think a voltage adjustment with a bios mod is going to make it magically work then go for it.

now no longer interested...

look, it sounds like your more after a fight now cause someone told you it wont work. some of us have been around and still remember what works and doesnt. if you think a voltage adjustment with a bios mod is going to make it magically work then go for it.

now no longer interested...

Dude, you already said no in previous post... we understand your position. I just don't know why your are saying it wont work, after all the system POSTS with QX6850 installed. That means on a hardware level the CPU is operational, albeit with limited functionality due to software constraints. You're basically telling me is a hardware issue where as I believe this is just a software issue. And that is where our paths diverge.

it has to do with being able to provide enough current to the cpu and as it is from the pic of the motherboard its 3 phase. another thing holding you back is the chipset in question if it were a P35/P45 i would say try it but is a G41. now im really not suprised the QX doesnt work, since it also has something to do with the chipset, im not exactly sure what. i would stick to a G0 Q6600 with a 1333fsb mod and use the 6 multi(2ghz) if thats what your after, other choice is 1066fsb and 6x(1.6ghz).

if you want a cool running quad core then consider either the Q9450S or Q9550S, 65watt. then force the 6x multi and get even lower TDP then using a 95watt tdp cpu.

I appreciate your input here but I respectfully disagree on all points. It has nothing to do with the chipset compatibility, the CPU is simply blacklisted from the BIOS because it goes beyond TDP and system design limits (and that doesn't mean it won’t work keep reading). The slimline was never intended to run the core 2 extreme series. However, the mere fact that it POSTS with the CPU and reports a *software-blacklist* compatibility error means the CPU is working with the system as it intended. If you actually look into the matter, you will see that the G41 chipset does in fact support the QX6850.

So now that we have that little snafu out of the way we can start talking theory here. The main premise of this build it to use what I have, not necessary what meshes best with the system. That being said, I have a decent low profile cooler. I have some tools at my disposal. Such as Throttlestop - I can use this for reliable undervolting and overvolting, overclocking and underclocking, if so desired. Since TDP is directly dependent on core voltage, we can definitely fine tune the system for optimal performance or superior heat and power savings. Using Intel (r) Speedstep we can reduce core voltage and TDP output substantially, putting us well within the margins for daily and practical use.

All of that being said, I recognize the challenges put forth by a build such as this and I will not continue headstrong just to prove a point. I think the premise of the build is sound and let me be clear: We are not aiming for the most reliable, rock solid system here. This is an off the wall type of project that I'm doing just for the fun of it. It's a PC that was on it's way to the recycling facility so we saved it from the crusher. The only question now is how do we proceed from here with the BIOS mod? Well, I signed up and posted a new thread over at bios-mods.com, so hopefully we can get some positive feedback from this project. It's something I'd also like to learn as right now it's a major dark area.

Man, powerful cpu's jk jk. Nice thread man. Classic AMD although were in the Intel forum lol

You can run Windows 95 with those beasts jk again lol, Im giving you a hard time, but honestly you have gold, those are classic CPU's and you can sell them for more money then todays processor or no. good luck and good work buddy.

Man, powerful cpu's jk jk. Nice thread man. Classic AMD although were in the Intel forum lol

You can run Windows 95 with those beasts jk again lol, Im giving you a hard time, but honestly you have gold, those are classic CPU's and you can sell them for more money then todays processor or no. good luck and good work buddy.

Are you talking about the CPUs in my sig or the QX6850? This is an intel forum, after all I think we all know we are talking about my 6850 :)

As for my Phenom IIs being a little old in my sig, well yeah they are. But I would go as far as saying until Ryzen, the 1100T/hexacore was probably the best chip AMD produced. They still hold their value really well!

Just a quick update guys.. So I've been going back and forth in a thread I created over at bios-mods.com. This is an online community dedicated to liberating system bioses across the whole spectrum of information technology systems. So, I basically put in a request for a CPU mod for my 6850. I'm in the middle of my first collaboration and so far so good we are just exchanging tasks and I am getting back to him with the relevant information and data. As I said, so far so good but it's not over till the fat lady sings.

If you wish to keep track of my progress over at bios-mods have a gander here:

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-QX6850-support-For-HP-Pavilion-slimline-s5-1014

Okay Fellas!

We are ready for the BIOS update as my man over at bios-mods.com has delivered, in short order, a customized ROM for me. :clap:

So we can proceed with the project. Problem now is time, I'm not sure if I'll be able to work on it today, but soon we will know, one way or the other, if this is gonna work! :attn::popcorn:

eadsf.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back