• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does it WORK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KatherineNies12

I have a Asrock 970 Extreme 3 am3+ Mobo.. Will it work with the new vishera Fx 8350. It works with last gen FX and I hope it works. Thanks

Last edited:
There are two revisions of the Extreme 3 and personally I wouldn't use either one with an 8 core FX even though it will work in the board. That board really doesn't have the power section to run a big FX reliably.

There are two revisions of the Extreme 3 and personally I wouldn't use either one with an 8 core FX even though it will work in the board. That board really doesn't have the power section to run a big FX reliably.

It all depends on what you are going to do with the rig. If overclocking is not on the docket I would say it's a fine board for practical use. Spec for an 8350 is 125W so I am intrigued as to you, Johan, think the power delivery is inadequate. Wouldn't a board with a 140w TDP limit be something tested from the factory and confirmed as an accurate number?

Have you forgotten past generation AMD? :D

Wait, this is that gen. Some boards, even though they said it could support a 125W, couldn't really do so without throttling.

Okay so if he decides to go ahead with this board in theory he may have to watch out for CPU throttling? Sorry this platform is all unknown to me as I skipped over it completely.

Depends on the cooling situation in the case. If it isn't good direct VRM cooling may be needed.

In a given scenario, could the OP theoretically disable 2 cores to mitigate the extra heat and lower VRM strain? Would that even be a possibility with this motherboard? Just seeing, if he had no other board to use, if there's any practical way he could make the hardware work together. Just curious.

Alrighty then, so theoretically the OP has at least four options:
1) Ditch the board for something better - recommended
2) Undervolt the CPU - thereby lowering TDP - but will limit your potential overclock
3) Disable two cores - lowering TDP - gives you the most headroom for any OC potential down the road
4) Cool VRMs with fan - recommended as I good idea in general

Back