• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Core 2 Quad Q8400 and Windows 10 and current Games.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Organik

I have a friend who has a old Q8400 and the video card is a 460 GTX, represtin LOL, Anyhow it has Windows 7 on it now and it runs good but has no SSD and 8GB RAM. What yall think. I think this is no good for Win 10 ,,Maybe for Win 7 but fact Win10 takes up more RAM ,, and is more thicker hungier OS. What about todays games,, Unreal Engine or BF2 or Fortnite etc. LI don't think that 460 is goint to cut it,, but it def goes well with the CPU lol. So foar that CPU whats the furthest you guys would go. A 660 maybe or a 580 Ti lol. Thanks

Last edited:
I have a friend who has a old Q8400 and the video card is a 460 GTX, represtin LOL, Anyhow it has Windows 7 on it now and it runs good but has no SSD and 8GB RAM. What yall think. I think this is no good for Win 10 ,,Maybe for Win 7 but fact Win10 takes up more RAM ,, and is more thicker hungier OS. What about todays games,, Unreal Engine or BF2 or Fortnite etc. LI don't think that 460 is goint to cut it,, but it def goes well with the CPU lol. So foar that CPU whats the furthest you guys would go. A 660 maybe or a 580 Ti lol. Thanks

It will run Windows 10*.

I had a Q9650 installed in a Asus P5Q-E with 8GB of DDR2. There are a few things about that era PC today.

One, nForce chipsets don't work with Windows 10. I wasn't able to use my P5N-D with Windows 10. This might have changed since Windows 10 was released but I doubt it.

Two the SATA ports on the boards are SATA2 not 3. You won't get the top speed of a SSD but it is still very notably faster then a 7200RPM drive.

Three the 460 graphics card is going to hold the computer back. My Q9650 was able to handle a GTX 1050 TI decently. It's fine for 1080P with medium settings at 30+ FPS probably around the 45 average with games like FF XV and GTA V.

*Depending on the motherboard. See note one.

Thanks for the response NightHawk. Cool, good to know ; I never though that series would go well wilth todays 1050 card. Oh but this is all stock BTW. Also should I overclock it if so what is feasible Mhz for that CPU ? Thanks

The Mrs PC is an 8400 dual core that runs Win10 just fine. It has AMD 6950 in it and it will run games half way decently. World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 run well at Good settings. Ultra settings might dog it out a bit. YMMV

As far as overclocking, it is able to hit 4.1GHZ (Prime95 stable)with a Hyper 212 cooler on it 24/7.

Z

Last edited:
Windows 10 actually uses system resources more efficiently than Windows 7. It is snappier.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums...tlenecks-using-multiple-CPUs-and-a-GTX-1080ti

Core 2 quad could probably (and probably is the keyword here) hold out for a little while longer, but upgrade to something a little higher end while you can.

I'll always have fond memories of the Core 2 product line and the fact that they can still truck along today is amazing. It's one of the first chipsets that might make it in relative relevance to the end of the life of the capacitors on the main boards.

Having said that a i3 would out pace it easily and use way less power so upgrading is the way to go if you have the means. If you want to go down memory lane just for fun it's surprisingly capable.

A truck in the mud maybe. It plays games, but there is a penalty for using it in that manner.

That said, id be (a lot) more interested in seeimg gin's testing with a midrange card instead of a windows linux comparison. There are more people using old systems with modern midrange than there are people gaming on linux. ;)

A truck in the mud maybe. It plays games, but there is a penalty for using it in that manner.

That said, id be (a lot) more interested in seeimg gin's testing with a midrange card instead of a windows linux comparison. There are more people using old systems with modern midrange than there are people gaming on linux. ;)

I still have my P5N-D which can run Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 and the ASUS P5Q-E and a E8400 and Q9650 along with various sets of DDR2. The only issue is I already reused the V8 GTS heatsink fan on my AMD system. I'd have to dig out the stock heatsink or buy another.

That comment about testing was meant for Gin. He linked his testing of CPUs over multiple generations and wants to now test Linux v. Windows.

See his link. Users can at least walk away with a realtive idea of how much slower it is (with a 1080Ti). Just wondering how that scales down with say a GTX 1060 or something midrange and more appropriate for the aged platform.

That comment about testing was meant for Gin. He linked his testing of CPUs over multiple generations and wants to now test Linux v. Windows.

See his link. Users can at least walk away with a relative idea of how much slower it is (with a 1080Ti). Just wondering how that scales down with say a GTX 1060 or something midrange and more appropriate for the aged platform.
Oh that would be interesting. Something like here is a Q9650 running with a 1050TI and then the same Q9650 1080TI and see if the 1080TI can get a much better score or if the CPU holds it back so far the scores are almost indistinguishable?

I wish I had all my hardware on me. I could whip up some tests. Once I have the new place in Texas sorted out and everything gets moved in if there is still interest I can do tests with a P5N-D for SLI 1080s, single 1080, single 1050TI and a single GTX1080 TI with a E8400 and a Q9650. For Windows 10 I can use a P5Q-E and do all the tests again except SLI (because the P5Q-E doesn't have SLI and Windows 10 doesn't work with the nForce chipsets)

The Mrs PC is an 8400 dual core that runs Win10 just fine. It has AMD 6950 in it and it will run games half way decently. World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 run well at Good settings. Ultra settings might dog it out a bit. YMMV

As far as overclocking, it its is able to hit 4.1GHZ with a Hyper 212 cooler on it 24/7.

Z

Hope she has a SSD on her box.

Oh that would be interesting. Something like here is a Q9650 running with a 1050TI and then the same Q9650 1080TI and see if the 1080TI can get a much better score or if the CPU holds it back so far the scores are almost indistinguishable?

I wish I had all my hardware on me. I could whip up some tests. Once I have the new place in Texas sorted out and everything gets moved in if there is still interest I can do tests with a P5N-D for SLI 1080s, single 1080, single 1050TI and a single GTX1080 TI with a E8400 and a Q9650. For Windows 10 I can use a P5Q-E and do all the tests again except SLI (because the P5Q-E doesn't have SLI and Windows 10 doesn't work with the nForce chipsets)
It won't be indistinguishable. I am wondering, by percent, how much a certain CPU holds back a GPU. He has more or less established the difference with a 1080Ti and a Q9650 and 7700K. I'd like to see that same thing with a 1050Ti or 1060 and if if holds back lower end cards as much as it does high end.

for your friend without knowing what resolution he plays games at. i would suggest getting a higher clock speed cpu if you don't plan to overclock, as well as getting a 960GTX or 1050Ti. even if you overclock the Q8400, you might need faster ram. if it all works right, 1:1 ratio with a 400mhz fsb, by the 9x multi would give you 3.6ghz, ram would be running at stock speed assuming DDR2-800 ram. if they don't cost to much look for the G.skill DDR2-800 sticks that have HK at the end.

back in the day this was my Daily overclock on a E7200
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/e72382.jpg
using the same ram highest i got to with that tight of timings, never went looser who knows how much more it would have went.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/e72382.jpg
the ic's on these HK are different then on the ram below, rather a bit shocking for the results being 4x1gb dimms and non-micron D9GHM ic's. i want to say the HK used Hynix ic's but something tells me that isnt right, there use to be list for DDR2 ic's by model but i dont see that list anymore, maybe got deleted.

with different ram or should we call them the self destructive Micron D9GMH ic's.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/superpi 1m runs/34g1140g.jpg

Wow thank you Evilsister for your kind post. Ya its 800 RAM Well do 3.6Ghz. and grab a 1050 Ti for him. Also a ssd drive what you suggest. Make or model doesn't matter. Bigger the size better. Thanks

well really you will find here most will suggest Samsung SSD's nothing wrong with that. if i had to choose a second best to recommend would be Intel 545s 512gb series of ssd's. if we are talking a 500/512gb drive i was going to recommend a 3rd suggest of a Mushkin Enhanced TRIACTOR 3DX 512gb but then the SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500gb is on sale so your spending maybe $10 more and its the newest TLC ssd out. even if you looked at the smaller 256gb drives i would still recommend the same lines, the 860 evo, 545s, triactor 3DX.

I'll always have fond memories of the Core 2 product line and the fact that they can still truck along today is amazing. It's one of the first chipsets that might make it in relative relevance to the end of the life of the capacitors on the main boards.

Having said that a i3 would out pace it easily and use way less power so upgrading is the way to go if you have the means. If you want to go down memory lane just for fun it's surprisingly capable.

On the note of the end of life for caps, when that happens, you can replace those, just make sure they are same value, voltage and physical size and you can get another 10 years or more.(if your good at de-soldering and soldering) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back